The Fascination of Chelsea: South of the King’s Road

By G. E. MITTON (1902). Edited by Sir Walter Besant.

 HOME  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.198.158.24 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Article · Chelsea · SW10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
APRIL
20
2018



By G. E. MITTON (1902). Edited by Sir Walter Besant.

Chelsea may be roughly divided into two great triangles, having a common side in the King’s Road. Allusion has now been made to all the southern half, and there remains the northern, which is not nearly so interesting. Beginning at the west end where the last part finished, we find, bordering the railway, St. Mark’s College and Schools. The house of the Principal is Stanley House, the oldest remaining in the parish. There has been some confusion between this and Milman House, as both were the property of Sir Robert Stanley, the former coming into his possession by his marriage with the daughter of Sir Arthur Gorges. The Stanley monument in More’s chapel will be also recalled in this connection. Stanley House as it now stands was built in 1691, and is not at all picturesque. The original building, which preceded it, was known as Brickills, and was leased by Lady Stanley from her mother, Lady Elizabeth Gorges. In 1637, when Lady Gorges died, she left the house and grounds to her daughter by will, and the Stanleys lived there until 1691, when the last male descendant died. At this time the present house was built. The Arundels occupied it first, and after them Admiral Sir Charles Wager, and then the Countess of Strathmore. It was purchased from her by a Mr. Lochee, who kept a military academy here. Among the later residents were Sir William Hamilton, who built a large hall to contain the original casts of the Elgin Marbles. These casts form a frieze round the room, and detached fragments are hung separately. This room alone in the house is not panelled. The panelling of the others was for many years covered with paper, which has been gradually removed. The drawing-room door, which faces the entrance in the hall, is very finely carved. The house and grounds were bought from Sir W. Hamilton in 1840 by the National Society, at the instigation of Mr. G. F. Mathison, whose untiring efforts resulted in the foundation of St. Mark’s College for the training of school-masters. The first Principal was the Rev. Derwent Coleridge, son of S. T. Coleridge. His daughter Christabel has given a charming account of the early days of St. Mark’s in a little book published in the Jubilee year. In the early part of 1841 ten students were residents in the college. The chapel was opened two years later, in May, 1843.

The Chapel has always been famous for its music and singing. It was among the first of the London churches to have a choral service. The students now number 120, and a large majority of these take Holy Orders. The grounds are kept in beautiful order, and the great elms which overshadow the green lawns must be contemporary with the house.

The King’s Road was so named in honour of Charles II., and it was notorious in its early days for footpads and robbers. In the eighteenth century the Earl of Peterborough was stopped in it by highwaymen, one of whom was discovered to be a student of the Temple, who lived "by play, sharping, and a little on the highway." There was an attempt made at first to keep the road for the use of the Royal Family, and later on, those who had the privilege of using it had metal tickets given to them, and it was not opened for public traffic until 1830.

At no part of its length can King’s Road claim to show any fine vista, and at the west end the buildings are particularly poor and squalid. In Park Walk stands Park Chapel, an old-fashioned church with a gallery in no particular style of architecture. It was founded in 1718, and in it General Gordon received the Holy Communion before he left for Khartoum. Park Walk is marked on Hamilton’s Survey as Lovers’ Walk, and forms the western boundary of the ancient Lord Wharton’s Park, which extended from the King’s Road to Fulham Road and contained forty acres. Faulkner says that it was part of the estate purchased by Sir Thomas More. There was an attempt made in 1721 to encourage the manufacture of raw silk; for this purpose the park was planted with mulberry-trees. The scheme, however, failed. The park is now thickly covered with houses; its eastern side was bounded by the "Road to the Cross Tree"—in other words, to what was called the Queen’s Elm. This name still survives in a public-house at the north corner of what is now Church Street. It was derived from a tradition that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth stood here to shelter from a shower under a great elm-tree, accompanied by her courtier Lord Burleigh. The tree is mentioned in the parish books in 1586. At the top of Church Street, near the Fulham Road, there is a high stone wall enclosing the Jews’ Burial-ground. The graves lie in long rows, but are not divided according to sex as with the Moravians. Overlooking the burial-ground is the Hospital for Women founded in 1871. It is a red-brick building with ornate stone facing. Beyond it is the Consumption Hospital, which is only an off-shoot of the main building over the road in the borough of Kensington. Arthur Street (formerly Charles Street), a few yards further on, leads us into the South Parade, which forms the northern side of Trafalgar Square. The square is wide, with a garden in the centre. At the south-western corner it is adjacent to Carlyle Square, which faces the King’s Road.

This is a most picturesque little square with a country-like profusion of trees in its green garden. On the eastern side the road through Trafalgar Square runs on under the name of Manresa Road. This is lined with studios, and abounds in artists and sculptors.

In Manresa Road are the Chelsea Public Library and the Polytechnic for South-west London north of the river. The latter cannot be claimed exclusively by Chelsea, and therefore is not described in detail. The library was opened temporarily in 1887, and by 1891 the new building was ready. The librarian is Mr. J. H. Quinn, who has been there since the inauguration. The rooms have, since the opening, been greatly improved, and the library is now exceptionally interesting. On the ground-floor is a gallery open from 3 to 9 p.m. every week-day, except Wednesday, when the time of opening is two hours later. Here there is a collection of water-colour paintings and old prints illustrative of old Chelsea, and anyone who has taken any interest in the magnificent old mansions that made Chelsea a village of palaces will be well advised to go to see what these buildings were actually like. In the gallery also are cases containing the Keats collection, deposited by Sir Charles Dilke during his lifetime, but at his death to go to Hampstead, on account of the poet’s connection with that place. Here are to be seen the editions of Shakespeare and Bacon annotated by Keats’ own hands, and his love-letters; also a letter from his publishers, abusing him furiously, which shows how much the contemporary judgment of the poems differed from that of posterity.

The reference-room in the library upstairs is exceptionally fine, and especial care has been taken to make the local topographical department as rich as possible. Among the volumes of the greatest value are Bowack’s "Middlesex," which formerly belonged to Lord Brabourne; Faulkner’s two-volume edition of "Chelsea," which has been "grangerized," and is illustrated by innumerable portraits, letters, views, etc., and in the process has been expanded into four large quarto volumes. There is also the original manuscript of Faulkner’s account of the Royal Military Asylum and the Royal College and Hospital, with all the author’s corrections.

Manresa Road runs into the King’s Road, and after the next turning eastward there is an old burial-ground, given to the parish by Sir Hans Sloane, and consecrated 1736. Cipriani, the engraver, a foundation member of the Royal Academy, is buried here, and there is a monument erected to his memory by his friend and contemporary, Bartolozzi. When the Sydney Street burial-ground was opened in 1810, this was used for interment no more. Chelsea Workhouse stands just behind it, and the old women use the burial-ground for exercise. It is a quaint sight to see them through the tall iron railings wandering about dressed in their bright red-and-black check shawls, blue cotton dresses, and white frilled caps. The workhouse was begun in 1787, but has been largely added to since then. The Guardians’ offices adjoin the burial-ground, and on the opposite side of the street, a little further eastward, is the Town Hall, with a row of urns surmounting its parapet. The borough Councillors have their offices here.

Further on is Sydney Street, formerly Robert Street, running out of the King’s Road on the north side. Here stands St. Luke’s Church. The foundation-stone of this building was laid in 1820, and it was consecrated in 1824. For many years previously a discussion concerning the desirability of further church accommodation had been going on. The church was built on the old burial-ground, and the tombstones which were removed in the course of erection are placed in long rows round a low wall. The building is of Bath stone, and has flying buttresses and a high square tower. In the interior it presents the greatest possible contrast to the old church. Here there is great height, the arches are pointed, the stonework light. The spire is 142 feet high, and the interior 130 feet long by 60 broad. From the interior vault of the roof to the pavement the height is 60 feet. Over the Communion-table is "The Entombment of Christ," an oil-painting by J. Northcote, R.A. To the north of the church lies Pond Place, a remembrance of the time when a "pond and pits" stood on Chelsea Common hereabouts.

Not far from the top of Sydney Street, in the Fulham Road, is the Cancer Hospital, founded by William Marsden, M.D., in 1851. It was only on a small scale at first, but public donations and subscriptions now enable 100 patients to receive all the care and treatment necessary to alleviate their terrible infliction, and more than 1,500 are treated as out-patients. The chief fact about the hospital is that it is absolutely free. The disease itself is the passport of admittance. In this respect there is only one other hospital in London like it, and that is the Royal Free Hospital in Gray’s Inn Road, which was founded by the same benefactor. The small chapel attached, in which there is daily service, was built about ten years ago, and consecrated by the Bishop of London. There is almost an acre of garden. Following the Fulham Road eastwards, we come to Marlborough Road. There is a tradition that the Duke of Marlborough at one time occupied a house here, but there seems to be no truth in it whatever.

Cale Street was named after one Judith Cale, who was a benefactor to the parish. South of it we have Jubilee Place, recalling the jubilee of George III., and Markham Street and Markham Square. At the corner of the former is an old house still called the Box Farm, and bearing the date 1686. In Markham Square is a large Congregational chapel, opened in 1860.

Cadogan Street contains St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, almshouses, school and cemetery. The actual fabric of this church was founded in 1879, but the mission of which it is the development began in 1812, and was at first established on the opposite side of the road. The building is of stone, and is in the Early English style, from designs by J. Bentley. Two oil-paintings on the pillars at the entrance to the chancel are by Westlake. There is also a large oil-painting over the altar. A statue to the memory of the founder of the mission, the Abbe Voyaux de Franous, stands in the northern aisle, and a small chapel on the southern side has a magnificent carved stone altarpiece by the younger Pugin, supposed to have been executed from a design by his father.

Halsey Street and Moore Street lead northward into Milner Terrace, in which stands the modern church of St. Simon Zelotes. We now get back into the aristocratic part of Chelsea in Lennox Gardens, which open out of Milner Terrace.

At the west end of Pont Street stands the Church of St. Columba, opened 1884. Here the services are conducted according to the use of the Established Church of Scotland in London. The building, which is of red brick with stone dressings, is in the style of the thirteenth century. It was opened in 1884, and seats about 800 people. The pillars in the interior are of granite, and the pulpit of carved Aubigne stone. There are several stained-glass windows. The architect was Mr. Granderson.

Pont Street is built entirely of red brick, the houses being in a modernized seventeenth century style. From Pont Street opens out Cadogan Square. This square is very modern, and stands on part of the site of Princes’ Cricket-ground.

Hans Place deserves more special mention. "L. E. L." (Letitia Elizabeth Landon), the poetess who was "dying for a little love," spent the greater part of her life here. She was born at No. 25, and educated at No. 22, both of which have now disappeared. Shelley stayed here for a short time, and Miss Mitford was educated at a school (No. 2) which turned out several literary pupils. Hans Place was laid out in 1777 by a Mr. Holland, who built a great house called the Pavilion, as a model for the Prince of Wales’s Pavilion at Brighton; it was pulled down in 1879. The grounds comprised twenty-one acres of land, and contained a large piece of ornamental water. To the west of Hans Place, in Walton Street, is St. Saviour’s Church, founded in 1839. A handsome chancel was added in 1890, and opened by the Bishop of London. At the same time a new organ was added. The chief feature of interest is a fine oak screen, on which the carving represents the nine orders of angels.

On the east is Pavilion Road: the derivation of the name is obvious. It runs parallel to the whole length of Sloane Street. Sloane Street itself is exactly a mile long from the square to Knightsbridge. The Church of Holy Trinity, just above the square, is in an unusual style of architecture; its two tall towers of red brick faced with stone add an imposing detail to the architecture of the street. The first church was consecrated in 1830, but pulled down in 1889 and replaced by the present one, due to the generosity of Earl Cadogan. The architect was F. R. Sedding, F.R.I.B.A. Within, the building is very light and high, and all the fittings are exquisitely finished. The pulpit is of marble with inlaid panels. The east window is very fine, and the stained glass was designed by Burne-Jones, R.A., and supplied by Morris. The wrought-iron gates and brass panels on the chancel stalls are worth notice, also the graceful figure supporting the lectern, which is the work of H. H. Armstead, R.A. The handsome organ screen of iron, gilded over, and oxidized copper is a memorial gift, and the frontal picture on the chapel altar is by Reynolds Stephens.

East of Sloane Street is the aristocratic Lowndes Square, of which the name is evidently derived from a former owner, for on a map of Chelsea, 1741-45, this spot is marked "Lowndes, Esq." Cadogan Place lies a little further south, and is open to Sloane Street on one side. Chelsea House, Earl Cadogan’s town residence, is in the north-east corner, and is marked by its stone facing in contrast with its brick neighbours. Below Cadogan Place is a network of little, unimportant streets. Byron stayed in Sloane Terrace with his mother in 1799, when he came to London for medical advice about his foot. The Court theatre in the square has been erected within the last thirty years. Sloane Gardens runs parallel to Lower Sloane Street, and behind is Holbein Place, from which we started on our perambulations. We have now made a complete circuit through Chelsea, looking into every street and commenting on every building or site of importance in the parish.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



Add your own contribution to The Fascination of Chelsea: South of the King’s Road.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to The Fascination of Chelsea: South of the King’s Road:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Jun 2018 23:00 GMT   
IP:
3:1:63615
Post by LDNnews: Parsons Green
Wimbledon girl takes down top seed en route to international victory
A Wimbledon girl has taken down the top dogs en route to a huge victory on the tennis court.

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news/16303252.Wimbledon_girl_takes_down_top_seed_en_route_to_international_victory/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Jun 2018 09:40 GMT   
IP:
3:2:63615
Post by LDNnews: South Kensington
Waterloo station delays: broken down train sparks travel chaos for South Western passengers
Commuters were facing an evening of travel chaos after a broken down train sparked delays and cancellations at London Waterloo.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/waterloo-station-delays-broken-down-train-sparks-travel-chaos-for-south-western-passengers-a3867171.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Jun 2018 23:20 GMT   
IP:
3:3:63615
Post by LDNnews: Parsons Green
Home ownership ’probably out of reach’ for teachers as council tries to figure out how to improve retention rates
Subsiding rents for teachers is one suggestion a report by Merton Council has made.

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news/16299592.Home_ownership___39_probably_out_of_reach__39__for_teachers_as_council_tries_to_figure_out_how_to_improve_retention_rates/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Jun 2018 15:27 GMT   
IP:
3:4:63615
Post by LDNnews: Aldwych
Sands End
Sands End was a close knit working class community.

http://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=3279

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Jun 2018 09:40 GMT   
IP:
3:5:63615
Post by LDNnews: South Kensington
Russia vs Egypt, World Cup 2018 prediction, betting tips and odds, start time, team news and line-ups, what TV channel, live stream online, head to head
World Cup 2018 LIVE: Goals, highlights and schedule plus Colombia vs Japan build-up

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/russia-vs-egypt-world-cup-2018-prediction-tv-live-stream-online-betting-tips-odds-time-lineups-a3866096.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Jun 2018 20:20 GMT   
IP:
3:6:63615
Post by LDNnews: Earls Court
Sir Christopher Chope admits he didn't know what upskirting was before blocking ban
Sir Christopher Chope has admitted he did not know what upskirting was when he blocked a bill to create a specific law to criminalise it.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sir-christopher-chope-admits-he-didnt-know-what-upskirting-was-before-blocking-ban-but-says-the-move-a3865676.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Jun 2018 17:30 GMT   
IP:
3:7:63615
Post by LDNnews: Parsons Green
Amazing woman who helps babies and parents connect honoured for her work

A Mitcham woman who help parents and their new-born babies connect has been honoured for her work.


http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news/16297241.Amazing_woman_who_helps_babies_and_parents_connect_honoured_for_her_work/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Jun 2018 12:00 GMT   
IP:
3:8:63615
Post by LDNnews: South Kensington
Labour Live: How was the party’s ’festival of politics?’
Labour Live was pitched as a way to capitalise on Jeremy Corbyn’s appearance at Glastonbury in 2017. So how did the party’s festival go?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44513698

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 17 Jun 2018 15:00 GMT   
IP:
3:9:63615
Post by LDNnews: South Kensington
Charles Horton: Govia Thameslink Railway boss quits after chaos caused by new timetable
The Govia Thameslink Railway chief executive has quit after months of controversy over delays and cancellations to services.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/charles-horton-govia-thameslink-railway-boss-quits-after-chaos-caused-by-new-timetable-a3864176.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 17 Jun 2018 14:20 GMT   
IP:
3:10:63615
Post by LDNnews: Parsons Green
Teenagers jailed for stabbing murder of youth worker

Two teenagers have been jailed over the fatal stabbing of a youth worker who confronted a group of drug dealers outside his home.


http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news/16294007.Teenagers_jailed_for_stabbing_murder_of_youth_worker/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jun 2018 21:20 GMT   
IP:
3:11:63615
Post by LDNnews: Fulham Broadway
West London gang members banned from making drill music glorifying violence
Police caught them armed with machetes and baseball bats and about to launch an attack on a rival gang

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/west-london-gang-members-banned-14790550

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jun 2018 10:20 GMT   
IP:
3:12:63615
Post by LDNnews: South Kensington



https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/england-stars-could-kick-off-27-billion-bonanza-for-pubs-shops-and-restaurants-by-reaching-world-cup-a3863991.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jun 2018 09:20 GMT   
IP:
3:13:63615
Post by LDNnews: Parsons Green
Morden school’s new garden will let kids ’learn through nature’
A Morden school is hoping its new garden will help kids "learn through nature."

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news/16291249.Morden_school__39_s_new_garden_will_let_kids___39_learn_through_nature__39_/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jun 2018 15:00 GMT   
IP:
3:14:63615
Post by LDNnews: Earls Court
Grenfell survivor: I told everyone on my floor to get out, but I wish I had done more
Grenfell survivor: I told everyone on my floor to get out, but I wish I had done more

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/grenfell-survivor-i-told-everyone-on-my-floor-to-get-out-but-i-wish-i-had-done-more-a3861901.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jun 2018 14:20 GMT   
IP:
3:15:63615
Post by LDNnews: South Kensington
TfL Tube strike in June 2018 suspended: Jubilee line walkout called off at the last minute
A planned strike on the Jubilee line on Thursday has been called off at the last minute.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tfl-tube-strike-in-june-2018-jubilee-line-walkout-called-off-at-the-last-minute-a3862506.html

VIEW THE CHELSEA AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHELSEA AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHELSEA AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHELSEA AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHELSEA AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.
OTHER THE FASCINATION OF CHELSEA ENTRIES

The Fascination of Chelsea

The Fascination of Chelsea was a book published in 1902.

It was written by Geraldine E. Mitton. It was part of the "Fascination of London" series edited by Walter Besant and published posthumously in 1902 following his death the previous year.

The original publishers were Adam & Charles Black (London).

The Spectator published the following contemporary review: "The Fascination of London : Chelsea. By G. E. Mitten. Edited by Sir W. Besant. (A. and C. Black. ls. 6d. net.)—This volitme, one of four on the same scale and with substantially the same author; ship, Mr. Mitten collaborating with Sir W. Besant, or having his work supervised by him, is an earnest of the great work on the Metropolis which Sir W. Besant contemplated. Each parish was to be perambulated and made the subject of a small book, Chelsea being chosen as a specimen, with . Hampstead, Westminster, and the Strand district. This is a very pleasant little book, the work of.a competent observer, who knows what to look for and how to deal with what be finds. Of course there are omissions. Perhaps one might say that the Chelsea of this little book is too exclusively genteel. There is a riverside population of whom much that is curious might be told. Possibly we are to have a special volume dealing with the Thames. There is a useful map."

==========

PREFATORY NOTE

The name Chelsea, according to Faulkner and Lysons, only began to be used in the early part of the eighteenth century. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the place was known as Chelsey, and before that time as Chelceth or Chelchith. The very earliest record is in a charter of King Edward the Confessor, where it is spelt Cealchyth. In Doomsday Book it is noted as Cercehede and Chelched. The word is derived variously. Newcourt ascribes it to the Saxon word ceald, or cele, signifying cold, combined with the Saxon hyth, or hyd, a port or haven. Norden believes it to be due to the word "chesel" (ceosol, or cesol), a bank "which the sea casteth up of sand or pebble-stones, thereof called Cheselsey, briefly Chelsey, as is Chelsey (Winchelsea?) in Sussex." Skinner agrees with him substantially, deriving the principal part of the word from banks of sand, and the ea or ey from land situated near the water; yet he admits it is written in ancient records Cealchyth—"chalky haven." Lysons asserts that if local circumstances allowed it he would have derived it from "hills of chalk." Yet, as there is neither hill nor chalk in the parish, this derivation cannot be regarded as satisfactory. The difficulty of the more generally received interpretation—viz., shelves of gravel near the water—is that the ancient spelling of the name did undoubtedly end in hith or heth, and not in ea or ey.

BOUNDARIES

The dividing line which separated the old parish of Chelsea from the City of Westminster was determined by a brook called the Westbourne, which took its rise near West End in Hampstead. It flowed through Bayswater and into Hyde Park. It supplied the water of the Serpentine, which we owe to the fondness of Queen Caroline for landscape gardening. This well-known piece of water was afterwards supplied from the Chelsea waterworks. The Westbourne stream then crossed Knightsbridge, and from this point formed the eastern boundary of St. Luke’s parish, Chelsea. The only vestige of the rivulet now remaining is to be seen at its southern extremity, where, having become a mere sewer, it empties itself into the Thames about 300 yards above the bridge. The name survives in Westbourne Park and Westbourne Street. The boundary line of the present borough of Chelsea is slightly different; it follows the eastern side of Lowndes Square, and thence goes down Lowndes Street, Chesham Street, and zigzags through Eaton Place and Terrace, Cliveden Place, and Westbourne Street, breaking off from the last-named at Whitaker Street, thence down Holbein Place, a bit of Pimlico, and Bridge Road to the river.

In a map of Chelsea made in 1664 by James Hamilton, the course of the original rivulet is clearly shown. The northern boundary of Chelsea begins at Knightsbridge. The north-western, that between Chelsea and Kensington, runs down Basil and Walton Streets, and turns into the Fulham Road at its junction with the Marlborough Road. It follows the course of the Fulham Road to Stamford Bridge, near Chelsea Station. The western boundary, as well as the eastern, had its origin in a stream which rose to the north-west of Notting Hill. Its site is now occupied by the railway-line (West London extension); the boundary runs on the western side of this until it joins an arm of Chelsea Creek, from which point the Creek forms the dividing line to the river.

The parish of Chelsea, thus defined, is roughly triangular in shape, and is divided by the King’s Road into two nearly equal triangles.

An outlying piece of land at Kensal Town belonged to Chelsea parish, but is not included in the borough.

The population in 1801 was 12,079. In the year 1902 (the latest return) it is reckoned at 73,842.

Bowack, in an account of Chelsea in 1705, estimates the inhabited houses at 300; they are now computed at 8,641.

HISTORY.

The first recorded instance of the mention of Chelsea is about 785, when Pope Adrian sent legates to England for the purpose of reforming the religion, and they held a synod at Cealchythe.

In the reign of Edward the Confessor Thurstan gave Chilchelle or Chilcheya, which he held of the King, to Westminster Abbey. This gift was confirmed by a charter which is in the Saxon language, and is still preserved in the British Museum. Gervace, Abbot of Westminster, natural son of King Stephen, aliened the Manor of Chelchithe; he bestowed it upon his mother, Dameta, to be held by her in fee, paying annually to the church at Westminster the sum of L4. In Edward III.’s reign one Robert de Heyle leased the Manor of Chelsith to the Abbot and Convent of Westminster during his own lifetime, for which they were to make certain payments: "L20 per annum, to provide him daily with two white loaves, two flagons of convent ale, and once a year a robe of Esquier’s silk." The manor at that time was valued at L25 16s. 6d. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster hold among their records several court rolls of the Manor of Chelsea during the reigns of Edward III. and Richard II. With the exception that one Simon Bayle seems to have been lessee of the Manor House in 1455, we know nothing definite of it until the reign of Henry VII., after which the records are tolerably clear. It was then held by Sir Reginald Bray, and from him it descended to his niece Margaret, who married Lord Sandys. Lord Sandys gave or sold it to Henry VIII., and it formed part of the jointure of Queen Catherine Parr, who resided there for some time with her fourth husband, Lord Seymour.

Afterwards it appears to have been granted to the Duke of Northumberland, who was beheaded in 1553 for his attempt to place Lady Jane Grey on the throne. The Duchess of Northumberland held it for her life, and at her death it was granted to John Caryl, who only held it for a few months before parting with it to John Bassett, "notwithstanding which," says Lysons, "Lady Anne of Cleves, in the account of her funeral, is said to have died at the King and Quene’s majestys’ Place of Chelsey beside London in the same year."

Queen Elizabeth gave it to the Earl of Somerset’s widow for life, and at her death it was granted to John Stanhope, afterwards first Lord Stanhope, subject to a yearly rent-charge. It is probable that he soon surrendered it, for we find it shortly after granted by Queen Elizabeth to Katherine, Lady Howard, wife of the Lord Admiral. Then it was held by the Howards for several generations, confirmed by successive grants, firstly to Margaret, Countess of Nottingham, and then to James Howard, son of the Earl of Nottingham, who had the right to hold it for forty years after the decease of his mother. She, however, survived him, and in 1639 James, Duke of Hamilton, purchased her interest in it, and entered into possession. He only held it until the time of the Commonwealth, when it was seized and sold; but it seems that the purchasers, Thomas Smithby and Robert Austin, only bought it to hold in trust for the heirs of Hamilton, for in 1657 Anne, daughter and coheiress of the Duke of Hamilton, and her husband, Lord Douglas, sold it to Charles Cheyne. He bought it with part of the large dower brought him by his wife, Lady Jane Cheyne, as is recorded on her tombstone in Chelsea Church. Sir Hans Sloane in 1712 purchased it from the then Lord Cheyne. He left two daughters, who married respectively Lord Cadogan and George Stanley. As the Stanleys died out in the second generation, their share reverted by will to the Cadogans, in whom it is still vested.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Ashburnham Community School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Burton Court:   
Cameron House School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Chelsea:   Chelsea is an affluent area, bounded to the south by the River Thames.
Chelsea Community Hospital School:   Community special school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 19.
Chelsea Open Air Nursery School:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5.
Cheyne Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Christ Church CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Coleherne House:   Coleherne House once stood on the corner of Brompton Lane (later Brompton Road) and Walnut Tree Lane (now Redcliffe Gardens).
Courtyard AP Academy:   Academy alternative provision converter which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.
Cremorne Gardens:   Cremorne Gardens, with a vestige existing today, was in its prime between 1846 and 1877.
Frederick Hugh House:   Other independent special school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 16. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
Goodwin’s Field:   Goodwins Field - a field with a story.
Hill House International Junior School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 13. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Institute of Cancer Research:   Higher education institutions
Kensington and Chelsea College:   Further education (16 plus) which accepts students between the ages of 16 and 99.
Knightsbridge School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 13.
L’Ecole des Petits School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 6. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Langford Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Marlborough Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Oratory Roman Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.
Park Walk Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Ranelagh Gardens:   
Ray’s Playhouse Ltd.:   This is a children’s centre.
Redcliffe School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Saint Thomas More Language College:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Sands End:   Sands End was a close knit working class community.
Servite RC Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Sussex House School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 8 and 13.
The Boltons:   The Boltons name derives from William Boulton who bought land in the area in 1795.
The Fascination of Chelsea: North of the King’s Road:   By G. E. MITTON (1902). Edited by Sir Walter Besant.
The Fascination of Chelsea: Ranelagh Gardens:   By G. E. MITTON (1902). Edited by Sir Walter Besant.
The Fascination of Chelsea: The Royal Hospital:   Written by G. E. MITTON in 1902. Edited by Sir Walter Besant.
The Hampshire School, Chelsea:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 13.
Violet Melchett Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Walnut Tree Walk:   Walnut Tree Walk was a pathway on the line of the modern Redcliffe Gardens.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Battersea Bridge:   Photo of Battersea Bridge, taken from Chelsea in the 1860s by James Hedderly.
Beaufort Street:   Photo of the streets of Chelsea, taken in the 1860s by James Hedderly.
Cheyne Walk, 1860s:   Photo of Cheyne Walk, Chelsea in the 1860s by James Hedderly.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
A3220, W11 · A3220, W12 · Adrian Mews, SW10 · Albert Bridge, SW3 · Alexander Square, SW3 · Alpha Place, SW3 · Althea Street, SW6 · Anderson Street, SW3 · Ann Lane, SW10 · Antiquarius, SW3 · Ashburnham Road, SW10 · Ashcombe Street, SW6 · Battersea Bridge, SW10 · Beaufort Street, SW10 · Beaufort Street, SW3 · Billing Road, SW10 · Billing Street, SW10 · Blacklands Terrace, SW3 · Blantyre Street, SW10 · Bolton Gardens Mews, SW10 · Bramerton Street, SW3 · Bray Place, SW3 · Bridge Studios, SW6 · Bridges Place, SW6 · Britten Street, SW3 · Broughton Road, SW6 · Bull’s Gardens, SW3 · Burnaby Street, SW10 · Burnsall Street, SW3 · Bury Walk, SW3 · Byam Street, SW6 · Bywater Street, SW3 · Cadogan Pier, SW3 · Cadogan Square, SW1X · Cadogan Street, SW3 · Cale Street, SW3 · Callow Street, SW3 · Camera Place, SW10 · Carlyle Square, SW3 · Cathcart Road, SW10 · Cavalry Square, SW3 · Cavaye Place, SW10 · Caversham Street, SW3 · Chapel Walk, SW10 · Charles II Place, SW3 · Chelsea Bridge, SW1W · Chelsea Cloisters, SW3 · Chelsea Crescent, SW10 · Chelsea Embankment, SW1W · Chelsea Embankment, SW3 · Chelsea Manor Gardens, SW3 · Chelsea Manor Street, SW3 · Chelsea Manor Studios, SW3 · Chelsea Park Gardens, SW3 · Chelsea Reach, SW10 · Chelsea Square, SW3 · Chelsea Studios, SW10 · Chelsea Towers, SW3 · Chelsea Wharf, SW10 · Cheltenham Terrace, SW3 · Cheyne Court, SW3 · Cheyne Mews, SW3 · Cheyne Place, SW3 · Cheyne Row, SW3 · Cheyne Walk, SW10 · Cheyne Walk, SW3 · Chipperfield House Sutton Estate, SW3 · Christchurch Street, SW3 · Christchurch Terrace, SW3 · Circle n6, SW6 · Clabon Mews, SW1X · Clover Mews, SW3 · Colebrook Court, SW3 · Coleherne Mews, SW10 · Coleherne Road, SW10 · Coulson Street, SW3 · Cranbury Road, SW6 · Cremorne Road, SW10 · Crescent Place, SW3 · Cresswell Gardens, SW10 · Cresswell Place, SW10 · Culford Gardens, SW3 · Damer Terrace, SW10 · Danube Street, SW3 · Danvers Street, SW3 · Dartrey Tower, SW10 · De Morgan Road, SW6 · Denyer Street, SW3 · Dilke Street, SW3 · Donne Place, SW3 · Dovehouse Street, SW3 · Draycott Avenue, SW3 · Draycott Place, SW3 · Draycott Terrace, SW3 · Drayton Gardens, SW10 · Dudmaston Mews, SW3 · Duke Of York Square, SW3 · East Road, SW10 · East Road, SW3 · East Terrace, SW10 · Ebury Bridge Road, SW1W · Edith Grove, SW10 · Edith Terrace, SW10 · Edith Yard Edith Grove, SW10 · Egerton Crescent, SW3 · Egerton Terrace, SW3 · Elbe Street, SW6 · Elm Park Gardens, SW10 · Elm Park Lane, SW10 · Elm Park Mansions, SW10 · Elm Park Road, SW3 · Elm Place, SW3 · Elswick Street, SW6 · Elystan Place, SW3 · Elystan Street, SW3 · Embankment Gardens, SW3 · Esher House, SW10 · Evelyn Gardens, SW7 · Farrier Walk, SW10 · Fawcett Street, SW10 · Fernshaw Close, SW10 · Fernshaw Road, SW10 · Finborough Road, SW10 · First Street, SW3 · Flood Street, SW3 · Flood Walk, SW3 · Foulis Terrace, SW3 · Franklins Row, SW3 · Fulham Road, SW10 · Fulham Road, SW3 · Furness Road, SW6 · Gatliff Road, SW1W · Gertrude Street, SW10 · Gilstead Road, SW6 · Gilston Road, SW10 · Glebe Place, SW3 · Glenrosa Street, SW6 · Glynde Mews, SW3 · Godfrey Street, SW3 · Greaves Tower, SW10 · Grosvenor Road, SW1W · Grove Cottages, SW3 · Gunter Grove, SW10 · Gurney Road, SW6 · Halsey Street, SW3 · Hamble Street, SW6 · Harcourt Terrace, SW10 · Harley Gardens, SW10 · Hasker Street, SW3 · Hazlebury Road, SW6 · Heliport Estate, SW11 · Hilary Close, SW6 · Hobury Street, SW10 · Holly Mews, SW10 · Hollywood Mews, SW10 · Hollywood Road, SW10 · Holmead Road, SW6 · Hortensia Road, SW10 · Ifield Road, SW10 · Imperial Crescent, SW11 · Imperial Crescent, SW6 · Ives Street, SW3 · Ixworth Place, SW3 · Joubert Mansions, SW3 · Jubilee Place, SW3 · Justice Walk, SW3 · Kilkie Street, SW6 · King’s Road, SW10 · King’s Road, SW3 · Kings Road, SW10 · Kings Road, SW3 · Lamont Road, SW10 · Langford Road, SW6 · Langton Street, SW10 · Lawrence Street, SW3 · Lennox Gardens Mews, SW1X · Lennox Gardens, SW1X · Lewis Estate, SW3 · Limerston Street, SW10 · Lincoln Street, SW3 · Lindrop Street, SW6 · London House, SW10 · Lots Road, SW10 · Lucan Place, SW3 · Mallord Street, SW3 · Maltings Place, SW6 · Manresa Road, SW3 · Marinefield Road, SW6 · Markham Square, SW3 · Markham Street, SW3 · Marlborough Street, SW3 · Milborne Grove, SW10 · Milmans Street, SW10 · Milner Street, SW3 · Moore Street, SW3 · Moravian Place, SW10 · Mossop Street, SW3 · Mulberry Walk, SW3 · Munro Terrace, SW10 · Netherton Grove, SW10 · Nightingale Place, SW10 · Oakley Gardens, SW3 · Oakley Street, SW3 · Old Church Street, SW3 · Ormonde Gate, SW3 · Ovington Square, SW3 · Ovington Street, SW3 · Owen Close, UB4 · Paradise Walk, SW3 · Park Walk, SW10 · Park Walk, SW3 · Paultons Square, SW3 · Paultons Street, SW3 · Pavilion Road, SW1X · Pearscroft Court, SW6 · Pearscroft Road, SW6 · Petyt Place, SW3 · Petyward, SW3 · Phene Street, SW3 · Plaza, SW10 · Pond Place, SW3 · Pont St Mews, SW1X · Porters Lodge, SW3 · Priory Walk, SW10 · Queens Elm Parade, SW3 · Querrin Street, SW6 · Radnor Walk, SW3 · Ralston Street, SW3 · Ramsay Mews, SW3 · Rawlings Street, SW3 · Redburn Street, SW3 · Redcliffe Gardens, SW10 · Redcliffe Mews, SW10 · Redcliffe Place, SW10 · Redcliffe Road, SW10 · Redcliffe Square, SW10 · Redcliffe Street, SW10 · Rich Lane, SW5 · Riley Street, SW10 · Robinson Street, SW3 · Rosebury Road, SW6 · Rosetti Studios, SW3 · Rossetti Studios, SW3 · Royal Avenue, SW3 · Royal Hospital Road, SW3 · Seymour Walk, SW10 · Shalcomb Street, SW10 · Shawfield Street, SW3 · Slaidburn Street, SW10 · Sloane Avenue, SW3 · Smith Street, SW3 · Smith Terrace, SW3 · Snowbury Road, SW6 · South Parade, SW3 · South Walk, SW10 · Sprimont Place, SW3 · St Andrews Church, SW10 · St Catherine’s Mews, SW3 · St Loo Avenue, SW3 · St Lukes Church Hall, SW10 · St Lukes Street, SW3 · St. Leonard’s Terrace, SW3 · St. Loo Avenue, SW3 · Stadium Street, SW10 · Stamford Gate, SW6 · Stephendale Road, SW6 · Stevendale Road, SW6 · Stewarts Grove, SW3 · Swan Walk, SW3 · Sydney Street, SW3 · Tadema Road, SW10 · Tedworth Gardens, SW3 · Tedworth Square, SW3 · Terrace Walk, SW3 · Tetcott Road, SW10 · The Boltons, SW10 · The Boltons, SW5 · The Courtyard, SW3 · The Gateways, SW3 · The Little Boltons, SW10 · The Plaza, SW10 · The Vale, SW3 · Thorndike Close, SW10 · Tite Street, SW3 · Townmead Business Centre, SW6 · Townmead Road, SW6 · Tregunter Road, SW10 · Trident Place, SW3 · Tryon Street, SW3 · Tynemouth Street, SW6 · Upcerne Road, SW10 · Upper Cheyne Row, SW3 · Upper Whistler Walk, SW10 · Uverdale Road, SW10 · Walpole Street, SW3 · Walton Street, SW3 · Wandon Road, SW6 · Wandsworth Bridge Road, SW6 · Wardens Square, SW6 · Watermans Quay, SW6 · Watermeadow Lane, SW6 · Wellington Buildings, SW1W · Wellington Square, SW3 · West Road, SW10 · West Road, SW3 · West Road, SW5 · Westgate Terrace, SW10 · Whistler Walk, SW10 · Whiteheads Grove, SW3 · William Morris Way, SW6 · Wiltshire Close, SW3 · Woodfall Street, SW3 · World’s End Passage, SW10 · Worlds End Place, SW10 · Yeomans Row, SW3 ·

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

South Kensington
Facebook Page
Earl’s Court
Facebook Page
Gloucester Road
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.