Thames Path, SE16

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1980s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.226.251.205 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Rotherhithe · SE16 ·
August
13
2017

Thames Path is a road in the SE16 postcode area



xxx

User unknown/public domain

VIEW THE ROTHERHITHE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE ROTHERHITHE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE ROTHERHITHE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE ROTHERHITHE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE ROTHERHITHE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Rotherhithe

Rotherhithe is located on a peninsula on the south bank of the Thames, facing Wapping and the Isle of Dogs.

It has been a port since the 12th century or earlier, and a shipyard since Elizabethan times. It was the site from which the Mayflower set off on part of its journey to carry the Pilgrim Fathers to Virginia in 1620. The ship's captain, Christopher Jones, lived in Rotherhithe and was buried there in 1622.

The name 'Rotherhithe' derives from an Anglo-Saxon word meaning "landing-place for cattle". The first recorded use of the name was in about 1105. In the past Rotherhithe was also known as Redriff until the early 19th century. Redriff was the fictional birthplace of Jonathan Swift's character Lemuel Gulliver.

Edward III had a palace at Rotherhithe and in 1412 Henry IV stayed in the area 'whilst he was cured of leprosy'. It was hoped the sea air would help his complaint. He arrived by river, sailing down the Thames from the Palace of Westminster to Rotherhithe.

The village of Rotherhithe has had a close relationship with the sea. Throughout history it was a favourite home for many seafarers, such as Captain Christopher Jones of The Mayflower, and had a fine tradition of shipbuilding. Two local Master Mariners, Peter Hills and Robert Booth, founded a school to help the children of destitute sailors in 1613.

Rotherhithe became home to shipbuilders. Some of the first steamships were built in Rotherhithe and the first iron ship, the Aaron Manby, was constructed in the local shipyards. Rotherhithe was also home to many associated industries, for example iron works and gun powder manufacturers. The names of the local docks reflect the days gone by, Greenland Dock is a reminder that whalers used to be based there. The dock was called Howland Great Wet Dock from its foundation in 1693 until 1763 and was the largest commercial dock in the western world at the time, able to handle 120 merchant ships. It was the major whaling base in London until the trade died in the 1840s, after which it was used for the importation of timber.

Improving transport saw the population of Rotherhithe rise. In 1801 it housed 10,296, a century later it was home to 38,424. The housing tended to be mixed - the rich enjoyed comfortable housing whilst the poor endured the very worst.

Because much of the former Surrey Docks had strong trade links to Scandinavia and the Baltic region the area is still home to a striving Scandinavian community. Originally established as seafarers' missions, Rotherhithe is home to a Norwegian, a Finnish and a Swedish church.

The docks were closed and largely filled in during the 1980s, and have now been replaced by modern housing and commercial facilities, but Rotherhithe retains much of its character and its maritime heritage. The largest surviving dock on the south bank, Greenland Dock, is the focal point for the southern part of the district, while there are many preserved wharves along the riverside at the north end of Rotherhithe. St Mary's Church is at the centre of the old Rotherhithe village, which contains various historic buildings including the Brunel Engine House at the south end of the Thames Tunnel.

Rotherhithe station was originally opened on 7 December 1869 when the first section of the East London Railway was opened, running through the Thames Tunnel. On 1 October 1884, the Metropolitan and Metropolitan District Railways began running services along the East London Railway, which called at Rotherhithe. It was served by electric passenger trains from 31 March 1913, when the line was electrified. Steam-hauled goods trains from Liverpool Street station continued to pass through until April 1966. The station was closed between 1995 and 1998 due to repair work on the Thames Tunnel and from 22 December 2007 to 27 April 2010 for the extension of the East London Line. The station re-opened on 23 May 2010 on the London Overground.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, south east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.