Cranbrook Street, E2

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before- in the area buildings are mainly post-war

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.88.161.108 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Ainsley Street · Albert Close · Alice Lane · Allen Road · Alma Terrace · Arbery Road · Bacon Street · Beale Place · Beale Road · Bethnal Green · Bethnal Green Estate · Bethnal Green Road · Birdsfield Lane · Birdsfield Lane · Birkbeck Street · Blythe Street · Bonner Street · Booth Close · Bradwell Street · Braintree Street · Brierly Gardens · Buckfast Street · Bullards Place · Bunsen Street · Cambridge Heath · Canrobert Street · Carlton Square · Centre Street · Cherrywood Close · Chilton Street · Claredale Street · Clermont Road · Clinton Road · Code Street · Colebert Avenue · Corfield Street · Cornwall Avenue · Coventry Road · Cranbrook Street · Crown Works · Cyprus Street · Delta Street · Derbyshire Street · Digby Street · Dinmont Street · Dunbridge Street · Earlston Grove · Ellsworth Street · Empress · Estate Road · Florida Street · Fox Close · Fremont Street · Gales Gardens · Gawber Street · Geography Square · Glass Street · Globe Road · Goldman Close · Gore Road · Granby Street · Grantley Street · Greenheath Business Centre · Grimsby Street · Grove Road · Gunmakers Lane · Gunmakers Lane · Gwilym Maries House · Hadleigh Street · Hadleigh Street · Hadleigh Walk · Hague Street · Harpley Square · Haverfield Road · Helen’s Place · Helena Place · Herald Street · Hereford Street · Hewlett Road · Hitchin Square · Hornbeam Square · Huddleston Close · Ivimey Street · Jersey Street · Kelsey Street · Kerbela Street · Lang Street · Lark Row · Lark Row · Lauriston Centre · Lawton Road · Lichfield Road · Long Wall · Longnor Road · Louisa Close · Malcolm Place · Mantus Road · Mape Street · Maple Street · Maplin Street · Mare Street · Meath Bridge · Meath Bridge · Meath Crescent · Medhurst Close · Medway Road · Menotti Street · Mile End · Millennium Park · Millennium Place · Morpeth Grove · Morpeth Street · Museum Passage · Nant Street · Norman Grove · Northiam Street · Northiam Street · Old Bethnal Green Road · Olga Primary School · Palmers Road · Paradise Row · Park Close · Parkside Estate · Patriot Square · Peary Place · Pollard Row · Pollard Street · Portelet Road · Portman Place · Pott Street · Poyser Street · Providence Close · Ramsey Street · Ranwal Close · Red Path · Redruth Road · Rhondda Grove · Roberta Street · Roman Road · Roman Road · Rosebank Gardens · Royal Inn on The Park · Royston Street · Rushmead · Ruthven Street · Saint Stephen’s Road · Sale Street · Saxon Road · Sceptre Road · Schoolbell Mews · Selwyn Road · Sewardstone Road · Shafton Mews · Shafton Road · Sharon Gardens · Shelley House · Silk Weaver Way · Smart Street · Squirries Street · St Judes Road · St Matthews Row · St. Agnes Close · St. James’s Avenue · Stafford Road · Stockton House · Sugar Loaf Walk · Sutherland Road · Teesdale Yard · Temple Street · Temple Yard · Templecombe Road · The Hemingway · Three Colts Corner · Three Colts Lane · Tony Cannell Mews · Turin Street · Usk Street · Vallance Road · Viaduct Place · Victoria Park · Voss Street · Walter Street · Warley Street · Warneford Street · Warneforoad Street · Wear Place · Wellington Row · Welwyn Street · Wennington Road · Wessex Street · Westfield Way · Wetherell Road · Willow Tree Close · Wilmot Street · Winkley Street · Witan Street · Wood Close · Wright’s Road · Zealand Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Bethnal Green · E2 ·
August
13
2017

Cranbrook Street is a road in the E2 postcode area



VIEW THE BETHNAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BETHNAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BETHNAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BETHNAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BETHNAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Bethnal Green

Bethnal Green - a happy corner

Bethnal Green is located 3.3 miles northeast of Charing Cross, It was historically an agrarian hamlet in the ancient parish of Stepney, Middlesex.

The name Blithehale or Blythenhale, the earliest form of Bethnal Green, is derived from the Anglo-Saxon healh ('angle, nook, or corner') and blithe ('happy, blithe').

Following population increases caused by the expansion of London during the 18th century, it was split off as the parish of Bethnal Green in 1743, becoming part of the Metropolis in 1855 and the County of London in 1889. The parish became the Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green in 1900 and the population peaked in 1901, entering a period of steady decline which lasted until 1981. Bethnal Green has formed part of Greater London since 1965.

The economic history of Bethnal Green is characterised by a shift away from agricultural provision for the City of London to market gardening, weaving and light industry, which has now all but disappeared.

By about 1860 Bethnal Green was mainly full of tumbledown old buildings with many families living in each house. By the end of the century, Bethnal Green was one of the poorest slums in London. Jack the Ripper operated at the western end of Bethnal Green and in neighbouring Whitechapel. In 1900, the Old Nichol Street Rookery was demolished, and the Boundary Estate opened on the site near the boundary with Shoreditch. This was the world's first council housing. The quality of the built environment was radically reformed by the aerial bombardment of World War II and the subsequent social housing developments.

Bethnal Green has a tube station on the Central Line of the London Underground. The station was opened as part of the long planned Central Line eastern extension on 4 December 1946; before that it was used as an air-raid shelter. On 3 March 1943, 173 people were killed in a crush while attempting to enter the shelter.

The station is an example of the New Works Programme 1935 - 1940 style adopted by London Transport for its new tube stations. Extensive use is made of pale yellow tiling, originally manufactured by Poole Pottery. The finishes include relief tiles, showing symbols of London and the area served by the London Passenger Transport Board, designed by Harold Stabler. The station entrances, all in the form of subway access staircases to the subterranean ticket hall, all show the design influences of Charles Holden, the consulting architect for London Transport at this time.

Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.