Showing every church so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Church · Camden Town · NW1 · Contributed by The Underground Map
May
2
2017
Click to enlarge image.
All Saints, Camden Town, in 1828.


Camden Town was developed from the 1790s onwards in the then largely rural parish of St Pancras, on the northern fringe of London. The parish church was one of the oldest in England, but it had been neglected since the 14th century when most of the inhabitants of the parish had moved to Kentish Town in the northern part of the parish.

In 1822 a new parish church, St Pancras New Church, on Euston Road in the southern part of the parish, was consecrated, but it was intended mainly to serve the population in its immediate vicinity. In 1818 a Church Building Act had been passed by Parliament to facilitate the construction of new churches in London’s many new districts, including this one for Camden Town.

The church was built between 1822 and 1824 and was known as first as the Camden Chapel, then, unofficially, as St Stephen’s. It did not receive the dedication of All Saints until 1920. It was designed by the father and son team of William and Henry Inwood who were also responsible for St Pancras New Church. It is a fairly large building of yellow stock brick, with east and west ends faced in Portland stone. The plan is basically rectangular, with an eastern apse mirrored by a semi-circular portico at the west end. Just behind the portico is a cylindrical stone tower surrounded by columns, in imitation of the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens. The Ionic order is based on fragments brought back from Greece by Henry Inwood and now in the British Museum. The interior has a flat ceiling, with galleries on three sides supported by Ionic columns. The building has generally been praised, but both contemporary writers and later architectural critics such as Sir John Summerson have argued that the tower is too thin in proportion to the body of the church. It is a Grade I listed building.

It became a parish church in its own right in 1852. In the 19th century it had a large congregation, like many other Anglican churches in the Victorian era: an 1854 survey of church attendance found that the number of worshippers was 1,650 on Sunday mornings, 630 on Sunday afternoons and 1,430 on Sunday evenings. In the 20th century the congregation decreased and in 1948 All Saints became a Greek Orthodox church, retaining its dedication while St Michael’s in Camden Road took over the parish, becoming the main Anglican church in Camden Town. The area acquired a large Greek speaking community in the decades after World War II, mostly from Cyprus, and the church is still well used, though many of the worshippers now come from the outer suburbs of London. In 1991 All Saints was raised to the status of a cathedral.

The church has been renovated a number of times. Most recently since January 2009 under the supervision of English Heritage and co-sponsored by the National Lottery and donations from the Greek Orthodox Community of the parish.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CAMDEN TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Camden Town

Camden Town

Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.

Camden is well-known for Camden Market which is a major tourist attraction, particularly busy at weekends, selling variety of fashion, antiques, lifestyle and bizarre goods; they (and the surrounding shops) are popular with young people, in particular those searching for alternative clothing.

It is an area popular with overseas students who come to Camden to learn English and find a job in one of the local bars or restaurants. The oldest established language school is Camden College of English, which is located at the Chalk Farm side of the market.

The Regent's Canal runs through the north end of Camden Town and is a popular walk in summer.

Camdem Town tube station began life as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern Line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both lines the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.

At the apex of the V is a junction allowing northbound trains to take either of the branches north, and likewise allow the trains south from the branches to join the single southbound track. This resulted in four connecting tunnels. When the CCE&HR and City & South London Railway lines were joined together after the City & South London Line became part of London Underground, a short extension from the Euston terminus of the City & South London was built to connect with each of the two northerly branches. This added another four tunnels to the junction, making it the most complex junction on the network.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Camden Town:   Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.
Mornington Crescent:   Mornington Crescent is a London Underground station in Camden Town, named after the nearby street.
Mother Red Caps:   At the main junction of Camden Town is a long-established business, once known as Mother Red Caps or Mother Damnable's, more recently the World's End.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Camden Town (1920):   Camden Town was named after Charles Pratt, the first Earl Camden, who started its development in 1791. It began life as little more than a handful of buildings beside a main road. Camden Town’s expansion as a major centre came with the opening of the Regent’s Canal to traffic in 1820


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Agar Grove, NW1 · Agar Place, NW1 · Albert Street, NW1 · Aldenham Street, NW1 · Arlington Road, NW1 · Barker Drive, NW1 · Bayham Place, NW1 · Bayham Street, NW1 · Baynes Street, NW1 · Bonny Street, NW1 · Bridgeway Street, NW1 · Broadfield Lane, NW1 · Bruges Place, NW1 · Buck Street, NW1 · Camden High Street, NW1 · Camden Mews, NW1 · Camden Park Road, NW1 · Camden Road, NW1 · Camden Square, NW1 · Camden Street, NW1 · Camley Street, NW1 · Cantelowes Road, NW1 · Carol Street, NW1 · Cedar Way, NW1 · Chalton Street, NW1 · Charrington Street, NW1 · Cliff Road Studios, NW1 · Cliff Road, NW1 · Cobham Mews, NW1 · College Place, NW1 · Court, NW1 · Crowndale Road, NW1 · Delancey Passage, NW1 · Delancey Street, NW1 · Elm Friars Walk, NW1 · Eversholt Street, NW1 · Georgiana Street, NW1 · Gloucester Crescent, NW1 · Gloucester Cresent, NW1 · Godwin Court, NW1 · Goldington Crescent, NW1 · Greenland Place, NW1 · Greenland Road, NW1 · Greenland Street, NW1 · Harrington Square, NW1 · Inverness Street, NW1 · Ivor Street, NW1 · Jamestown Road, NW1 · Jeffreys Place, NW1 · Kentish Town Road, NW1 · Kings Terrace, NW1 · Lawfords Wharf, NW1 · Lidlington Place, NW1 · Lyme Street, NW1 · Mandela Street, NW1 · Mary Terrace, NW1 · Mayford, NW1 · Miller Street, NW1 · Mornington Crescent, NW1 · Mornington Cresent, NW1 · Mornington Street, NW1 · Mornington Terrace, NW1 · Murray Mews, NW1 · Murray Street, NW1 · North Villas, NW1 · Oakley Square, NW1 · Oval Road, NW1 · Park Village East, NW1 · Parkway, NW1 · Phoenix Road, NW1 · Plender Street, NW1 · Polygon Road, NW1 · Pratt Mews, NW1 · Pratt Street, NW1 · Prowse Place, NW1 · Randolph Street, NW1 · Reapers Close, NW1 · Regal Lane, NW1 · Regents Park, NW1 · Rochester Place, NW1 · Rochester Road, NW1 · Rochester Square, NW1 · Rossendale Way, NW1 · Rousden Street, NW1 · Royal College Street, NW1 · South Villas, NW1 · St Marks Square, NW1 · St Martins Almshouses, NW1 · St Martins Close, NW1 · St Pancras Way, NW1 · St Pauls Cresent, NW1 · St Pauls Mews, NW1 · Stratford Villas, NW1 · The Marr, NW1 · Underhill Street, NW1 · Water Lane, NW1 · Werrington Street, NW1 · Wilmot Place, NW1 · Wrotham Road, NW1 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Camden Town
Facebook Page
Kentish Town
Facebook Page
Euston
Facebook Page
Mornington Crescent
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.