Voysey Square, E3

Road in/near Bow

Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Bow · E3 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Voysey Square is a road in the E3 postcode area

No addresses have so far been added to Voysey Square, E3

This location is in The Underground Map database but, so far, there is no further information about it.

Use the form below to tell us more about this location.

Voysey Square, E3 news feed:
Do you come from Voysey Square, E3, or know it well? Tell your story here.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Voysey Square, E3:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Sandy Tarrant
Sandy Tarrant   
Added: 16 Nov 2017 06:03 GMT   
Expires: 16 Dec 2017 06:03 GMT   
Post by Sandy Tarrant: Monier Road, E3

My grandparents, James Isaac and Mary Ann Johnson ran a grocerís shop at 122 Monier Road, Bow from the early 1900s to about 1935 or so.
Sandy Tarrant
Sandy Tarrant   
Added: 16 Nov 2017 06:01 GMT   
Expires: 16 Dec 2017 06:01 GMT   
Post by Sandy Tarrant: Monier Road, E3

My grandparents, James Issac and Mary Ann Johnson, ran a grocerís shop at 122 Monier Road, Bow in the early 1900s.
Added: 12 Dec 2017 22:00 GMT   
Expires: 26 Dec 2017 22:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bromley-by-Bow
Crystal Palace vs Watford LIVE latest score: Premier League 2017-18 goal updates, line-ups, how to follow online at Selhurst Park
Eagles aim to bounce back from penalty pain

Added: 12 Dec 2017 21:00 GMT   
Expires: 26 Dec 2017 21:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: South Quay
Plans for massively expanded Plumstead library including sports hall and gym approved
Plumstead Library is set to be transformed into a leisure, cultural and sports centre after ambitious plans were approved by Greenwich Council.

Added: 11 Dec 2017 21:00 GMT   
Expires: 25 Dec 2017 21:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bromley-by-Bow
Tony Evans: Football-crazy kids must keep dreaming but realise odds of making it are slim
On days like this, it's easy to dream. The Champions League draw throws up epic possibilities.

Added: 11 Dec 2017 20:00 GMT   
Expires: 25 Dec 2017 20:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: South Quay

Added: 10 Dec 2017 23:20 GMT   
Expires: 24 Dec 2017 23:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bromley-by-Bow
Liverpool 1 Everton 1: Wayne Rooney penalty cancels out Mohamed Salah in Merseyside derby draw at Anfield
A Wayne Rooney penalty cancelled out Mohamed Salah's stunning first-half goal to seal a vital 1-1 Merseyside derby draw for Everton against Liverpool.

Added: 9 Dec 2017 22:20 GMT   
Expires: 23 Dec 2017 22:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bromley-by-Bow
Championship: Fulham win; Millwall hold Aston Villa; QPR, Brentford lose
Fulham ran out 1-0 winners over Birmingham, from a first-half Sheyi Ojo effort, to leave their opponents near the foot of the Championship.

Added: 8 Dec 2017 19:20 GMT   
Expires: 22 Dec 2017 19:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bromley-by-Bow
Tottenham braced for slog against Stoke after Champions League stroll
Wednesday's Champions League stroll against Apoel has lifted the mood and potentially shifted the momentum at Tottenham but they are preparing for another Premier League slog when Stoke visit Wembley on Saturday.

Added: 8 Dec 2017 18:20 GMT   
Expires: 22 Dec 2017 18:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: South Quay
Man spotted taking his pet snake for a walk (slither?) through the centre of Woolwich
Normally if someone is out taking a pet for a walk, it will be their dog, but the people of south east London see the world differently.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

<EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>A HREF='article.html?id=714' TEF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>ARGET='_top'>EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>BowEF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>A>

EF='article.html?id=66171' target='_top'>DTH=302 style='float:left; width=250px; margin-right:10px;'><EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>B>EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow lies at the heart of London’s East End.EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>B>

The area was formerly known as Stratford, and "EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow" is an abbreviation of the medieval name Stratford-atte-EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow, in which "EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow" refers to a bridge built in the early 12th century. EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow is adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and a section of the district is part of the park.

Old Ford, and with it Fish Island, are usually taken to be part of EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow, but EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bromley-by-EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow (historically and officially just ’EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bromley’) immediately to the south, is a separate locality. These distinctions have their roots in historic parish boundaries.

Stratforde was first recorded as a settlement in 1177. The ford originally lay on a pre-Roman trackway at Old Ford about 600 metres to the north, but when the Romans decided on Colchester as the initial capital for their occupation, the road was upgraded to run from the area of London EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bridge, as one of the first paved Roman roads in EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Britain. The ’paved way’ is likely to refer to the presence of a stone causeway across the marshes, which formed a part of the crossing.

In 1110 Matilda, wife of Henry I, reputedly took a tumble at the ford on her way to EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Barking EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>Abbey, and ordered a distinctively bow-shaped, three-arched bridge to be built over the River Lea, The like of which had not been seen before; the area became known variously as Stradford of the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow, Stratford of the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow, Stratford the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow, Stratforde the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bowe, and Stratford-atte-EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow’ (at the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow) which over time was shortened to EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow to distinguish it from Stratford Langthorne on the Essex bank of the Lea. Land and EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>Abbey Mill were given to EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Barking EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>Abbey for maintenance of the bridge, who also maintained a chapel on the bridge dedicated to St Katherine, occupied until the 15th century by a hermit. This endowment was later administered by Stratford Langthorne EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>Abbey. EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>By 1549, this route had become known as The Kings Way.

Permission was given to build a chapel of ease to allow the residents a local place to worship. The land was granted by Edward III, on the King’s highway, thus beginning a tradition of island church building. In 1556, during the reign of Mary I of England and under the authority of Edmund EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bonner, EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bishop of London, many people were brought by cart from Newgate and burned at the stake in front of EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow Church, in one of the many swings of the English Reformation.

EF='article.html?id=66171' target='_top'>During the 17th century EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow and the Essex bank became a centre for the slaughter and butchery of cattle for the City market. This meant a ready supply of cattle bones, and local entrepreneurs Thomas Frye and Edward Heylyn developed a means to mix this with clay and create a form of fine porcelain, said to rival the best from abroad, known as EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow Porcelain.

The EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow China Works prospered, employing some 300 artists and hands, until about 1770, when one of its founders died. EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>By 1776 all of its moulds and implements were transferred to a manufacturer in EF='article.html?id=66171' target='_top'>Derby. In 1867, during drainage operations at the match factory of EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bell & EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Black at EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bell Road, St. Leonard’s Street, the foundations of one of the kilns were discovered, with a large quantity of ’wasters’ and fragments of broken pottery. The houses close by were then called China Row, but now lie beneath modern housing. Chemical analysis of the firing remains showed them to contain high quantities of bone-ash, pre-dating the claim of Josiah Spode to have invented the bone china process.

In 1843 the engineer William EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bridges EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>Adams founded the Fairfield Locomotive Works, where he specialized in light engines, steam railcars (or railmotors) and inspection trolleys, including the Fairfield steam carriage for the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bristol and Exeter Railway and the Enfield for the Eastern Counties Railway. The business failed and the works closed circa 1872, later becoming the factory of EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bryant and May.

EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow was the headquarters of the North London Railway, which opened its locomotive and carriage workshops in 1853. There were two stations, Old Ford and EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow. EF='article.html?id=66171' target='_top'>During World War 2 the North London Railway branch from EF='article.html?id=66171' target='_top'>Dalston to Poplar through EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow was so badly damaged that it was abandoned.

EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow station opened in 1850 and was rebuilt in 1870 in a grand style, designed by Edwin Henry Horne and featuring a concert hall that was 100 ft long (30 m) and 40 ft wide (12 m). This became The EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow and EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bromley Institute, then in 1887 the East London Technical College and a Salvation EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>Army hall in 1911. From the 1930s it was used as the Embassy EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Billiard Hall and after the war became the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow Palais, but was demolished in 1956 after a fire.

The safety match industry became established in EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow. In 1888, a match girls’ strike occurred at the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bryant and May match factory in Fairfield Road. This was a forerunner of the suffragette movement fight for women’s rights and also the trade union movement. The factory was rebuilt in 1911 and the brick entrance includes a depiction of Noah’s EF='article.html?id=66313' target='_top'>Ark and the word ’Security’ used as a trademark on the matchboxes. Match production ceased in 1979 and the building is now private apartments known as the EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow Quarter.

EF='article.html?id=66249' target='_top'>Bow underwent extensive urban re-generation including the replacement or improvement of council homes, such redevelopment and rejuvenation coinciding with the staging of the 2012 Olympic Games at nearby Stratford.

Bow:   Bow lies at the heart of Londonís East End.

Alfred Street, E3 · Alton Street, E14 · Annie Besant Close, E3 · Arcadia Street, E14 · Armagh Road, E3 · Arrow Road, E3 · Autumn Street, E3 · B140, E3 · Baldock Street, E3 · Balladier Walk, E14 · Barchester Street, E14 · Beachy Road, E3 · Benworth Street, E3 · Blackthorn Street, E3 · Blondin Street, E3 · Bow Arts Lane, E3 · Bow Exchange, E3 · Brabazon Street, E14 · Bracken House, E3 · Brickfield Road, E14 · Brickfield Road, E3 · Bright Street, E14 · Brock Place, E3 · Bromley High Street, E3 · Broomfield Street, E14 · Bruce Road, E3 · Brymay Close, E3 · Burwell Walk, E3 · Campbell Road, E3 · Candy Street, E3 · Cardigan Road, E3 · Carmen Street, E14 · Caxton Grove, E3 · Cedar Close, E3 · Celtic Street, E14 · Chadbourn Street, E14 · Chiltern Road, E3 · Clutton Street, E14 · Coborn Road, E3 · Coborn Street, E3 · Colmans Wharf, E14 · Cook’s Road, E3 · Copton Close, E3 · Cording Street, E14 · Cranwell Close, E3 · Crown Close, E3 · Dace Road, E3 · Daniel Bolt Close, E14 · Devas Street, E3 · Devons Road, E3 · Douro Street, E3 · Dye House Lane, E3 · Dyehouse Lane, E3 · East Cross Route, E3 · Eastside Mews, E3 · Edgar Road, E3 · Ellesmere Street, E14 · Empson Street, E3 · Fairfield Road, E3 · Fawe Street, E14 · Fern Street, E3 · Four Seasons Close, E3 · Furze Street, E3 · Gale Street, E3 · Garrison Road, E3 · Gillender Street, E3 · Glaucus Street, E3 · Godalming Road, E14 · Grace Street, E3 · Greenway, E3 · Hancock Road, E15 · Hancock Road, E3 · Harley Grove, E3 · Hartfield Terrace, E3 · Hawgood Street, E3 · Hereford Road, E3 · Hewison Street, E3 · Heylyn Square, E3 · Hobday Street, E14 · Iceland Road, E3 · Jebb Street, E3 · Jodrell Road, E3 · Lawrence Close, E3 · Lefevre Walk, E3 · Legion Terrace, E3 · Lexington Building, E3 · Lime House Cut, E14 · Limehouse Cut, E14 · Limehouse Cut, E3 · Maddams Street, E3 · Mallard Point, E3 · Malmesbury Road, E3 · Maltings Close, E3 · Manhattan Building, E3 · Maverton Road, E3 · Monier Road, E3 · Morris Road, E14 · Morville Street, E3 · Mostyn Grove, E3 · Nelson Walk, E3 · Nelson Walk, SE16 · Ollerton Green, E3 · Ordell Road, E3 · Otis Street, E3 · Pancras Way, E3 · Parnell Road, E3 · Patrick Connolly Gardens, E3 · Powis Road, E3 · Priory Street, E3 · Purdy Street, E3 · Rainhill Way, E3 · Redwood Close, E3 · Reeves Road, E3 · Regent Square, E3 · Remus Road, E3 · Ridgdale Street, E3 · Rifle Street, E14 · Roach Point Bridge, E3 · Roach Road, E3 · Rounton Road, E3 · Shortwall, E3 · Smeed Road, E3 · Springwood Close, E3 · St Andrews Way, E3 · St Leonards Street, E3 · Stour Road, E3 · Stroudley Walk, E3 · Swaton Road, E3 · Taft Way, E3 · Talwin Street, E3 · Tamar Close, E3 · The Mill, E15 · Thomas Fyre Drive, E3 · Three Mill Lane, E3 · Tibbatt’s Road, E3 · Tiber Close, E3 · Towcester Road, E3 · Tredegar Road, E3 · Trellis Square, E3 · Truman Way, E3 · Twelvetrees Crescent, E16 · Uamvar Street, E14 · Usher Road, E3 · Venue Street, E14 · Violet Road, E3 · Voysey Square, E3 · Warner Terrace, E14 · Washington Close, E3 · Watts Grove, E3 · Wendon Street, E3 · Whitethorn Street, E3 · Whitton Walk, E3 · Wick Lane, E3 · William Guy Gardens, E3 · Wrexham Road, E3 · Wyke Road, E3 · Wyvis Street, E14 · Yeo Street, E3 ·


Print-friendly version of this page

What is Voysey Square, E3 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/


Bow Church
Facebook Page
Devons Road
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
All Saints
Facebook Page
Langdon Park
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Bow Road
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor≠ically inclined look at the capitalís obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.


Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or Ė from the available evidence Ė are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.