Elstree and Borehamwood

Rail station, existing between 1868 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.232.125.29 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Rail station · Elstree and Borehamwood · WD6 ·
APRIL
11
2014

Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.


On 22 June 1863, the Midland Railway (Extension to London) Bill was passed: "The London and Midland Junction Railway Bill is here referred to as providing for a new line of Railway into the metropolis. It commences from the Midland Railway at Hitchin, passes by St. Albans, Elstree, Edgware, Finchley and Highgate, and terminates by a junction with the Metropolitan Underground Railway at King’s Cross, previously throwing out a Branch to the Cattle Market at Copenhagen Fields."

Situated north of the Elstree Tunnels, the station was built by the Midland Railway as simply "Elstree" in 1868 when it built its extension to St Pancras station. By the 1920s, it had been renamed Elstree and Boreham Wood station. It was modernised in 1959. The station was renamed from Elstree & Borehamwood to Elstree on 6 May 1974, but reverted to Elstree & Borehamwood by mid 1988.

The station building has been on three different sites - first in a small lane off of Allum Lane, then atop the Allum Lane railway bridge and finally (and aptly) in Station Road.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF ELSTREE AND BOREHAMWOOD
Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village.



 

Elstree and Borehamwood

Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.

On 22 June 1863, the Midland Railway (Extension to London) Bill was passed: "The London and Midland Junction Railway Bill is here referred to as providing for a new line of Railway into the metropolis. It commences from the Midland Railway at Hitchin, passes by St. Albans, Elstree, Edgware, Finchley and Highgate, and terminates by a junction with the Metropolitan Underground Railway at King’s Cross, previously throwing out a Branch to the Cattle Market at Copenhagen Fields."

Situated north of the Elstree Tunnels, the station was built by the Midland Railway as simply "Elstree" in 1868 when it built its extension to St Pancras station. By the 1920s, it had been renamed Elstree and Boreham Wood station. It was modernised in 1959. The station was renamed from Elstree & Borehamwood to Elstree on 6 May 1974, but reverted to Elstree & Borehamwood by mid 1988.

The station building has been on three different sites - first in a small lane off of Allum Lane, then atop the Allum Lane railway bridge and finally (and aptly) in Station Road.
Print-friendly version of this page