St Mary’s Chapel, now known as St Mary’s Church, is a Grade II* listed Roman Catholic church.
St Mary’s was the first Catholic church to be built in Hampstead after the English Reformation of the 16th century. The Abbé Jean-Jacques Morel, a refugee from the French Revolution, was its first pastor. The little chapel was completed in less than a year and opened its doors to worshippers for the first time in August 1816.
By this time with the final defeat of Napoleon, the majority of French refugees in Hampstead had returned to France and the congregation numbered about a hundred on a regular basis although these numbers were increased in the summer months by itinerant Irish hay-makers who worked in the fields around the village. Education was a priority for the Abbé Morel and he undertook the religious education of both boys and young women at several private Catholic schools in Hampstead. Sometime after the building of the chapel in Holly Place, two schools, one for boys and the other for girls, were set up next to the presbytery and was supported by subscriptions from wealthier parishioners.
St Mary’s Church is located near the top of the hill at Holly Place on Holly Walk, nestled in a row of Georgian houses between Church Row and Mount Vernon. No taller than houses numbered 4 and 5 to either side, the Church’s distinctive façade with bell tower and statue of Virgin and Child was designed by architect William Wardell as the first addition to the original building at the time the law was changed to allow bells to be rung from Catholic churches in 1852.
The sanctuary is decorated with tile mosaics and the painting of the Assumption of Our Lady was a gift from one of the founders of the chapel, George Armstrong, on behalf of his only daughter Frances Hall. This painting can be seen in the earliest photograph of the interior dating from 1878.
In the 19th century a school was built behind the church but demolished in 1907, the land being used to build the present day sanctuary and side chapels. Considerable repairs were made to the presbytery (rectory) in 1978 so that the upstairs now houses the pastor and downstairs a parish centre. The church was closed during 1990 for major building repairs removing the ceiling to reveal the roof timbers that adorn the church today.
St Dorothy’s Convent is nearby at 99 Frognal. Previously it was home to one of St Mary’s more notable parishioners General Charles de Gaulle who lived there with his family for about a year during the Second World War. The Sisters of St Dorothy’s organise CCD classes for children of the parish who are not attending Catholic schools. South of the Church, the buildings now at numbers 1 and 2 Holly Walk were part of the St Vincent’s Convent and Orphanage in the 1800s
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 21 Jul 2017 08:10 GMT
Expires: 4 Aug 2017 08:10 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Belsize Park Dele Alli beats Kylian Mbappe to be crowned world's most valuable player under 21 Tottenham's Dele Alli has beaten off competition from Kylian Mbappe to be crowned the world's most valuable player aged under 21.
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood World Para-athletics Championships: Ed Warner wants event to stay in London The boss of this year’s World Para-athletics Championships wants the event to make an immediate return to London in 2019.
Post by LDNnews: Finchley Road Andrea Leadsom mocked after calling Jane Austen 'one of our greatest living authors' in House of Commons Andrea Leadsom has been ridiculed after referring to Jane Austen as "one of our greatest living authors" during a speech in Parliament.
Post by LDNnews: Belsize Park Arsene Wenger bids farewell to 'Arsenal man' Wojciech Szczesny after Juventus move Arsene Wenger believes that Wojciech Szczesny will take over from Juventus icon Gianluigi Buffon after the goalkeeper's move to the Serie A club from Arsenal was completed.
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood Terrifying moment moped gang rob Porsche driver at knifepoint in south-east London This is the terrifying moment a gang of thieves on mopeds robbed a Porsche driver at knifepoint in broad daylight in south-east London.
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Tea House Theatre owners slate millennials in job advert
The advert, which has since been removed, for an Office Administrator at the Tea House Theatre in south London said the employers have ’not been impressed so far.’
Post by LDNnews: Finchley Road Baby's bones and ancient sarcophagus found at Borough Market building site Archaeologists have lifted the lid of an ancient Roman sarcophagus unearthed at a building site near London's Borough Market.
Post by LDNnews: Chalk Farm Joe Hart: I've always loved West Ham, there's a lot of history at this club Joe Hart says he has always held a strong affection for West Ham after completing his switch to the capital.
Post by LDNnews: Camden Town From the archive, 21 July 1982: IRA terror bombs kill eight soldiers in London parks 21 July 1982: Two explosions bring carnage to London’s Hyde Park and Regent’s ParkThe Provisional IRA brought scenes of horror and carnage back to the streets of London yesterday with two bombs that left two cavalrymen dead in Hyde Park and killed six bandsmen from the Royal Green Jackets in Regents Park. At least 51 people, many of the civilians, were taken to hospital, some with serious injuries. The bombs exploded within two hours of each other. The first, made with between 5 and 10Ib of commercial explosives and packed with four and six inch nails, went off at 10.43 am ripping through a troop of 16 soldiers from the Blues and Royals as they left the Knightsbridge Barracks of the Household Cavalry for the daily changing of the guard in Whitehall. Related: Man accused of 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing walks free Continue reading...
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
6 Ellerdale Road: 6 Ellerdale Road is a house built by the Arts and Crafts movement architect Richard Norman Shaw for himself in the period 1874 to 1876. An introduction to Hampstead by G.E. Mitton (1902): This text originates from "The Fascination of Hampstead" by Geraldine Edith Mitton (published 1902) Anna Freud Centre: The Anna Freud Centre is a child mental health research, training and treatment centre. Bracknell Way, NW3: Bracknell Way is a small alleyway, usable only by pedestrians Branch Hill Pond: Branch Hill Pond which was fed from a spring which was also the main source of the Westbourne. Bull and Bush: The Old Bull and Bush is a Grade II listed public house near Hampstead Heath in London which gave its name to the music hall song ’Down at the old Bull and Bush’. Devonshire House Preparatory School: Devonshire House preparatory school is based in four large Victorian houses in Hampstead. Everyman Cinema: The Everyman, in Heath Street, Hampstead, opened as a cinema on 26 December 1933. Fitzjohn’s Primary School: Fitzjohn’s Primary School is a community primary school, established in 1953. Freud Museum: The Freud Museum is a museum dedicated to Sigmund Freud, who lived there with his family during the last year of his life. Great Hollow Elm: The Great Hollow Elm stood at the top of Hampstead Heath. Hampstead: Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm. Hampstead Town: This article first appeared in ’A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, Hampstead, Paddington’. Hampstead tunnel: Hampstead Tunnel, 1166 yards long, was built as part of the Hampstead Junction Railway, and opened on 2 January 1860. Hare and Hounds: The Hare and Hounds was the northernmost public house in Hampstead. Keats House: Keats House is a writer’s house museum in a house once occupied by the Romantic poet John Keats. Netherhall House: Netherhall House is a catered intercollegiate halls of residence for men, founded in 1952. New West End: New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road. Pentameters Theatre: The Pentameters Theatre was founded in 1968 and is 60-seat venue and is a fringe theatre, located above the Three Horseshoes public house in Hampstead. Piecemeal building: The infant River Westbourne crossed, what in 1900, was still a boggy field. Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel: The Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel is a place of worship and a member of the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches, the umbrella organisation for British Unitarians. Rosslyn House: Rosslyn (Roslyn) House, which stood between Wedderburn and Lyndhurst Roads, was one of the last of the famous old Hampstead houses to be destroyed. Shepherd’s Well: Shepherd’s Well, whose flow was thought to be nearly as pure as distilled water, is the source of the River Tyburn. Source of the Kilbourne: The easternmost branch of the River Westbourne rises just south of the centre of Hampstead, St John, Hampstead: St John-at-Hampstead is a Church of England parish church dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The Academy School: The Academy School is an independent preparatory school for boys and girls aged between 6 and 13. The Royal School, Hampstead: The Royal School, Hampstead, was an independent girls’ day and boarding school. The school educated girls aged 3-16. Two streams meet: Somewhere beneath the basement of 16 Frognal, NW3 two tributaries of the River Westbourne meet. University College School: University College School, generally known as UCS, is an independent school charity situated in northwest London. Whitestone Pond: Whitestone Pond is the source of one of London’s lost rivers, the River Westbourne.
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.