St. James’s Park

Underground station, existing between 1868 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.208.66 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Underground station · St. James's Park · SW1H ·
FEBRUARY
8
2013

St James's Park station is not only a station but London Underground HQ - otherwise known as 55 Broadway.

St. James’s Park station and 55 Broadway
Credit: Wikimedia Commons
The station was opened on 24 December 1868 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) when the company opened the first section of its line between South Kensington and Westminster stations. The MDR connected to the Metropolitan Railway (MR, later the Metropolitan Line) at South Kensington and, although the two companies were rivals, each company operated its trains over the other's tracks in a joint service known as the Inner Circle.

The station has been reconstructed twice. In the first decade of the 20th century the original MDR station was reconstructed in conjunction with the building of Electric Railway House a headquarters building for the MDR's owners the London Electric Railway. The station was then rebuilt again between 1927 and 1929 as part of the construction of 55 Broadway the company's new headquarters building designed by Charles Holden and featuring statues and carved stone panels including ones by Sir Jacob Epstein, Eric Gill, and Henry Moore.

The platforms feature the green, blue, black and white tiling scheme first used for the reconstruction and extension to Morden of the City & South London Railway (now the Northern Line) also designed by Holden and opened between 1924 and 1926.

Together with 55 Broadway, the station is now a Grade I listed building.

Over time, the station name has been spelled differently, illustrating changing practice in punctuation. Tube maps up to the early 1930s show the name as St. James' Park. From Harry Beck's first map in 1933 until the early 1950s the name was shown as St. James Park. Since the 1950s it has had the current name.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

St. James’s Park station and 55 Broadway
Wikimedia Commons

THE STREETS OF ST. JAMES’S PARK
Birdcage Walk, SW1E Birdcage Walk runs east-west from the Parliament Square area (as Great George Street) to Buckingham Palace.
Birdcage Walk, SW1H Birdcage Walk runs east from Great George Street, along the south side of St James’s Park.
Blue Bridge, SW1A Blue Bridge is a road in the SW1A postcode area
Broadway, SW1H Broadway - formerly the location of the headquarters of both London Transport and the Metropolitan Police.
Buckingham Gate, SW1E Buckingham Gate was created in the 17th century.
Buckingham Mews, SW1E Buckingham Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area.
Butler Place, SW1H Butler Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.
Carteret Street, SW1H Carteret Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.
Caxton Street, SW1H William Caxton was responsible for the introduction of the printing press to England.
Cockspur Street, SW1Y Cockspur Street is possibly after the cock fighting that formerly occurred here, cocks often having spurs attached to their feet during fights.
Dacre Street, SW1H Dacre Street is named after Lady Anne Dacre.
Norman Shaw Building North, SW1A Norman Shaw Building North is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
Old Queen Street, SW1H Old Queen Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.
Pall Mall East, SW1Y Pall Mall East is an eastern extension of Pall Mall towards Trafalgar Square.
Palmer Street, SW1H Palmer Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.
Petty France, SW1H Petty France is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.
Queen Anne’s Gate, SW1H This is a street in the SW1H postcode area
Queen Annes Gate Buildings, SW1H Queen Annes Gate Buildings is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.
Queen Annes Gate, SW1H Queen Annes Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.
Queens Gardens, SW1A Queens Gardens is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
Rochford Southend East, SW1A Rochford Southend East is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
St Margaret Street, SW1A St Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
St Margarets Street, SW1A St Margarets Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
St. Ermin’s Hill, SW1H St. Ermin’s Hill is a road in the SW1H postcode area
Suffolk Place, SE2 Suffolk Place is a road in the SE2 postcode area
Suffolk Place, SW1Y The Earl of Suffolk (Thomas Howard) was the reason for the naming of Suffolk Place.
Suffolk Street, SW1Y Suffolk Street was named after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site.
Vandon Passage, SW1H Vandon Passage probably dates from the fifteenth century.
Vandon Street, SW1H Vandon Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1H postal area.



 

St. James's Park

St James's Park station is not only a station but London Underground HQ - otherwise known as 55 Broadway.

The station was opened on 24 December 1868 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) when the company opened the first section of its line between South Kensington and Westminster stations. The MDR connected to the Metropolitan Railway (MR, later the Metropolitan Line) at South Kensington and, although the two companies were rivals, each company operated its trains over the other's tracks in a joint service known as the Inner Circle.

The station has been reconstructed twice. In the first decade of the 20th century the original MDR station was reconstructed in conjunction with the building of Electric Railway House a headquarters building for the MDR's owners the London Electric Railway. The station was then rebuilt again between 1927 and 1929 as part of the construction of 55 Broadway the company's new headquarters building designed by Charles Holden and featuring statues and carved stone panels including ones by Sir Jacob Epstein, Eric Gill, and Henry Moore.

The platforms feature the green, blue, black and white tiling scheme first used for the reconstruction and extension to Morden of the City & South London Railway (now the Northern Line) also designed by Holden and opened between 1924 and 1926.

Together with 55 Broadway, the station is now a Grade I listed building.

Over time, the station name has been spelled differently, illustrating changing practice in punctuation. Tube maps up to the early 1930s show the name as St. James' Park. From Harry Beck's first map in 1933 until the early 1950s the name was shown as St. James Park. Since the 1950s it has had the current name.
Print-friendly version of this page