Grantham Road, E12

Road in/near Forest Gate, existing between the 1880s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.227.3.146 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Forest Gate · E12 ·
August
7
2019

Grantham Road, with Church Road, forms a crescent to the east of Dersingham Avenue.

Flooding in Southborough Road (later Grantham Road) Manor Park, 1903
Credit: Newham Archive
Manor Park was, until the late nineteenth century, called Little Ilford. It referred to the small crossing over the River Hile which was the former name of the Roding. The river was prone to flooding.

An alehouse stood on the site of the former Three Rabbits pub (on the corner of Rabbits Road) since the 1630s. It probably took its name from a rabbit warren on the old Aldersbrook estate which gave its name to Warren Avenue. The pub was used by dealers trading at the annual cattle fairs on Wanstead Flats until the nineteenth century.

Between 1829 and 1831, a prison called the Little Ilford House of Correction was built on the site of the current site of Gloucester Road and Worcester Road. It was demolished in 1878 and some of its rubble was used in the construction of local houses.

The area subsequently received its ’Manor Park’ name due to Manor Park railway station which took its name from the home of the Lord of the Manor of West Ham which was situated in what is now Gladding Road. The Manor House was purchased by the Eastern Counties Railway in 1839 so that the London to Romford line could be constructed. The name Manor Park was speculative - locally there are stations called Manor Park, Upton Park, Woodgrange Park and Wanstead Park.

Manor Park developed rapidly from the 1830s due to the prison, two cemeteries and an Industrial School. Low cost housing for rent was built for potential commuters.

The Eastern Counties Railway line, opened in the 1840s, did not directly serve Manor Park at first. Local residents had to walk the mile to either Forest Gate or East Ham stations. The first station in the area came in 1872 and was named Manor Park and Little Ilford. It was later replaced it with a larger station in 1893 and had its name shortened simply to Manor Park.

The station in turn created a housing boom on the remaining fields in the 1880s and 1890s. Southborough Road was laid out during this time, renamed later to Grantham Road.

In 1903 the area now occupied by Grantham Road, Alverstone Road and Waltham Road was badly hit by floods, when the River Roding burst its banks. Many people were left homeless - boats had to be hired to rescue the stranded.

xxx

Flooding in Southborough Road (later Grantham Road) Manor Park, 1903
Newham Archive


 

Forest Gate




Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.