Castle Road, IG11

Road in/near Hacton

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.229.175.129 
Abridge Way · Alderman Avenue · Alfred’s Way (East Ham and Barking By-pass) · Alfred’s Way (East Ham and Barking By-pass) · Basedale Road · Bastable Avenue · Belhus Woods Country Park · Berwick Pond Road · Bevan Avenue · Bevan Avenue · Billings Close · Blake Avenue · Blessing Way · Box Lane · Bridgeway · Burnham Road · Campsey Gardens · Canonsleigh Road · Castle Road · Charlton Crescent · Chelmer Crescent · Clare Gardens · Cotton Close · Crouch Avenue · Curzon Crescent · Dawson Avenue · Dawson Gardens · Dunmow Walk · Eastbury Primary School · Eastbury Square · Edgefield Avenue · Ellerton Gardens · Ellerton Road · Endeavour Way · Farr Avenue · Flamstead Road · Gerpins Lane · Glenmore Way · Greenfield Gardens · Greenfield Road · Hacton · Helmore Road · Job Drain Place · Keel Close · Keir Hardie Way · Lambourne Gardens · Lambourne Road · Langley Crescent · Lodge Avenue · Lodge Avenue · Lodge Avenue · Maplestead Road · Maplestead Road · Margaret Bondfield Avenue · Matbury Road · Maud gardens · Mayesbrook Road · Meadow Close · Meadow Road · Merton Road · Monteagle Primary School · Oakley Avenue · Pinley Gardens · Ray Gardens · Ridley Close · Ripple Road · Ripple Road · Rippleside Commercial Estate · Rosedale Drive · Rosedale Road · Rosedale Road · Rothwell Gardens · Rothwell Road · Rowe Gardens · Roxwell Road · Roycraft Avenue · Rugby Road · Seton Gardens · Sheppey Gardens · Sheppey Road · Sisley Road · Sovereign Road · Stamford Gardens · Stamford Road · Stamford Road · Stamford Road · Stanley Avenue · Steel Approach · Stern Close · Sterry Road · Stocker Gardens · Stratford Close · Sue Bramley Children’s Centre · Sugden Way · Surmans Close · Thames View Infants · Thames View Junior School · The Drive · Tresham Road · Upney · Wagstaff Gardens · Warwick Lane · Wivenhoe Road · Woodward Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Hacton · RM9 · Contributed by The Underground Map
November
25
2017

Castle Road is a road in the IG11 postcode area


VIEW THE HACTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HACTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HACTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HACTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HACTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Barking

Historically an ancient parish in Essex, Barking’s economic history is characterised by a shift from fishing and farming to market gardening and industrial development.


In AD 735 the town was ’Berecingum’ and was known to mean "dwellers among the birch trees". By AD 1086, it had become ’Berchingae’ as evidenced by the town’s entry in the Domesday Book.

The manor of Barking was the site of Barking Abbey, a nunnery founded in 666 by Eorcenwald, Bishop of London, destroyed by the Danes and reconstructed in 970 by King Edgar. The celebrated writer Marie de France may have been abbess of the nunnery in the late 12th century. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536, Barking Abbey was demolished; the parish church of St Margaret, some walling and foundations are all that remain.

A charter issued between 1175 and 1179 confirms the ancient market right. The market declined in the 18th century but has since been revived.

Fishing was the most important industry from the 14th century until the mid-19th. Salt water fishing began before 1320, when too fine nets were seized by City authorities, but expanded greatly from the 16th century. Fisher Street was named after the fishing community there. From about 1775 welled and dry smacks were used, mostly as cod boats, and rigged as gaff cutters. Fishermen sailed as far as Iceland in the summer. They served Billingsgate Fish Market in the City of London, and moored in Barking Pool.

The opening of rail links between the North Sea ports and London meant it was quicker to transport fish by train straight to the capital rather than waiting for ships to take the longer route down the east coast and up the River Thames. By the 1850s the Thames was so severely polluted that fish kept in chests quickly died. Consequently, the fishery slipped into decline in the second half of the nineteenth century.

As part of the suburban growth of London in the 20th century, Barking significantly expanded and increased in population, primarily due to the development of the London County Council estate at Becontree in the 1920s, and became a municipal borough in 1931, and part of Greater London in 1965.

Barking station was opened on 13 April 1854 by the London Tilbury and Southend Railway (LTSR) on their new line to Tilbury, which split from the Eastern Counties Railway (ECR) at Forest Gate. A shorter route from London between Little Ilford and Gas Factory Junction in Bow, and avoiding the ECR, opened in April 1858. A "Pitsea direct" branch was completed in June 1888 giving more direct access to Southend-on-Sea via Upminster, and avoiding Tilbury. The station was rebuilt in 1889. In 1894 the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction Railway was extended by means of the Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway to join the 1854 line from Forest Gate to Tilbury.

District line services initially operated over the tracks of the LTSR from 1902. In 1905 a pair of tracks was electrified as far as East Ham and the service was cut back there. It was extended back to Barking in 1908 and eastwards to Upminster, over a new set of tracks, from 1932. Hammersmith and City line, then known as the Metropolitan line, service began in 1936.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


South Essex and North Kent (1805)
Ordnance Survey First Series. The first completed map was of the county of Kent in 1801. The first use of the term Ordnance Survey in manuscript was in 1801, but it did not appear on an engraved map until 1810. William Mudge was the effective head from the start and actual head of the Survey from 1804 to 1820.
Reproduced from the 1805 Ordnance Survey map.

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.