Rollesby Way, SE28

Road built in the 1970s with most of the buildings dating from the 2000s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.226.58.177 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Abbey Wood · SE28 · Contributed by The Underground Map
November
26
2017


Rollesby Way is a road in the SE28 postcode area



ADD A STORY TO ROLLESBY WAY
VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Abbey Wood

Between Plumstead to the west and Erith to the east, Abbey Wood takes its name from the nearby Lesnes Abbey and Bostall Woods.

The original 19th century Abbey Wood (known locally as The Village) is the area immediately south of Abbey Wood railway station, built where Knee Hill became Harrow Manorway and crossed the railway (North Kent Line). This is now the centre where three phases of house building (almost) meet.

The Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society (RACS) bought two farms on the hillside to the south and between 1900 and 1930 built the Bostall Estate. Once known as Tin Check Island after the Society's dividend system, this has streets named for Co-operative themes (Alexander McLeod, Rochdale, Robert Owen, Congress), a school & shops but no pubs.

Between 1956 & 1959 the London County Council built the Abbey Estate on former Royal Arsenal marshland to the north (between the railway and the Southern Outfall sewer bank heading for Crossness). Predominently conventional brick houses with gardens, equipped with shopping centres, schools and open spaces, the estate was used to rehouse people from London's East End. The main through-road is Eynsham Drive.

In the early 1970s the Greater London Council began building the first phase of Thamesmead on more ex-Royal-Arsenal land, north-east of Abbey Wood station. The original railway level crossing was replaced by a flyover.

In 1951 Abbey Wood was the destination of the last of the pre-war trams to run in London.

Abbey Wood railway station serves the suburb. It was opened by the South Eastern Railway on 30 July 1849.

During the 1860s William Morris famously used a decorated wagon to commute between this station and his new home at Red House, Bexleyheath, occasionally with his eccentric and artistic house guests.

The station has been rebuilt twice to cater for the changing nature of the area. The station was to be served by the proposed Greenwich Waterfront Transit, however the project was cancelled due to lack of funds.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Abbey Terrace · Abbey Wood · Abbey Wood Nursery School · Abbotts Close · Alexander McLeod Primary School · Ampleforth Road · Andwell Close · Arden Close · Attlee Road · Barnham Drive · Bedonwell Road · Belvedere Road · Birchmere Park · Birkdale Road · Bishop John Robinson Church of England Primary School · Bledlow Close · Bostall Hill Road · Bostall Hill · Bostall Manor Way · Boxgrove Primary School · Brampton Road · brinkburn Close · Brodrick Grove · Bromholm Road · Burcharbro Road · Camping · Campion Place · Carlyle Road · Carnation Street · Carnoustie Close · Cassilda Road · Castilion Primary School · Celandine Drive · Cemetery Road · Chart Hills Close · Cherbury Close · Chervil Mews · Church Manor Way · Church Manorway · Coltness Crescent · Combwell Crescent · Cookhill Road · Courtland Grove · Crossway Park · Crossway · Crumpsall Street · Dalberg Way · De Lucy Primary School · De Lucy Street · Dean Road · Devenish Road · Drake Close · Eastern Way · Eastern Way · Eastern Way · Eastgate Close · Edington Road · Evenlode House · Eynsham Drive · Fantail Close · Federation Road · Finchdale Road · Fleming Way · Floathaven Close · Florence Road · FP2 · Friars Walk · Gallions Reach Health Centre · Galsworthy Close · Garganey Walk · Gate 14 · Glendale Way · Glendown Road · Glover Close · Goldcrest Close · Grange Crescent · Grasshaven Way · Green Chain Walk · Green Chain · Haldane Road · Hampstead Close · Harrow Manorway Exit · Harrow Manorway Exit · Harrow Manorway · Hartslock Drive · Hartslock Drive · Havel Court · Heathview Drive · Hermitage Close · Holt Close · Howarth Road · Howden Close · Hurst Lane · Hurst Place · Jubilee Primary School · Kinder Close · Knee Hill Crescent · Knee Hill · Lakeside Avenue · Lanridge Road · Lesnes Abbey Park · Linnet Close · Linton Mead Primary School · Lipton Close · Littledale · Littlemore Road · Longleigh Lane · Longleigh Lane · Ludham Close · Luffield Road · Lytham Close · Manister Road · Manordene Road · Manorside Close · Manton Road · Martham Close · Mere Road · Mitchell Close · Monks Close · Mulberry Park Children’s Centre · Myra Street · Myrtledene Road · Nickelby Close · Old Park Road · Openshaw Road · Overton Road East · Owen Close · Panfield Road · Pathways Short Stay School · Peterstone Road · Peterstone Road · pinewood Road · Plumstead High Street · Poplar Place · Pricess Close · Priory Drive · Rockmount Road · Roman Square · Rosedale Close · Rushdene · Saunders Way · Schoolhouse Education · Southmere Drive · St Andrews Close · St Josephs Court · St Margaret Clitherow Catholic Primary School · St Mellion Close · St Paul’s Academy · St Thomas A Becket Roman Catholic Primary School · Stanbrook Road · Streamdale · Sunset Road · Swift Close · Tawney Road · Templar Drive · Thamesbank Place · Thamesmead · The Dell · The View · Throwley Close · Treetops Close · Turnbury Close · Tyeshurst Close · Villacourt Road · Viola Avenue · Voyagers Close · Waldstock Road · Wallace Close · Walsham Close · Waterdale Road · Waterside Close · Watersmeet Way · Waterways Children’s Centre · Wentworth Close · Westergate Road · Whimbrel Close · William Temple Church · Willow Bank Primary School · Willrose Crescent · Windrush Primary School · Woburn Close · Woodland Way · Woodpecker Road · Woolwich Polytechnic School ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


South Essex and North Kent (1805)
Ordnance Survey First Series. The first completed map was of the county of Kent in 1801. The first use of the term Ordnance Survey in manuscript was in 1801, but it did not appear on an engraved map until 1810. William Mudge was the effective head from the start and actual head of the Survey from 1804 to 1820.
Reproduced from the 1805 Ordnance Survey map.

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.