Coniston Road, DA7

Road built in the Edwardian era

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Crayford · DA7 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Coniston Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Crayford was combined with other local areas to form the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.

Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.

The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement’s name.

Crayford Manor House stands just to the north-west of St Paulinus Church, probably in roughly the same position as the first manor house, which was established in the 14th century. Crayford actually contained two manors, those of Howbury and Newbury.

Several large houses once stood in the area, including Oakwood, Shenstone and May Place. Little evidence remains of these, although part of the last house called May Place is now incorporated into the clubhouse of Barnehurst Golf Course.

The house was for many years the seat of the lord of the manor and between 1694 and 1707 was the home of Sir Cloudesley Shovell (1650 - 1707), Commander in Chief of the Navy who took part in the capture of Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. Three years later, after his ship the Association was wrecked off the Isles of Scilly, he was strangled for the rings he wore, by a fisherwoman.

The presence of the river in the town led to the growth of industries such as tanning and silk-making, which need a constant supply of free-flowing fresh water. The tannery has long since gone, but the silk-printing works of David Evans Ltd, established in 1843, remain in the town. Swaislands was another long-established local printing firm. It was taken over by GP & J Baker who closed the works only in 1961.

In the early years of the 19th century the huge armaments firm Vickers, originally from Sheffield, moved into the area. In the few short years of the First World War Vickers’ workforce grew from 300 to 14,000. Vickers built an estate, the Crayford Garden Suburb, to the east of the town to house the armaments workers. Whilst all that remains of the Vickers factory today is the clocktower, surrounded by modern retail development, the houses are still very much in evidence and are sought after as homes because of the quality of construction. This area, which borders on Dartford and the County of Kent, became known as Barnes Cray after a prominent local family (the Barnes).

Other industries in the area included barge building in Crayford Creek, brickmaking and motor-car production by the Siddeley Autocar Company, which had its registered works at Crayford in 1902.

After the First World War the production of armaments was reduced, but industry continued to thrive and the local community prospered on the trade brought to the area as a result of the influx of workers during the war. The Princesses Theatre, opened in 1916 on the riverside, was built specifically to entertain these workers but unfortunately burnt to the ground within six months. It was subsequently rebuilt to exactly the same specifications but presumably with improved fire-protection measures!

In 1920 Crayford became an urban district. As in most other local areas, the 1930s saw a period of busy housebuilding, although this was perhaps not as extensive in Crayford as it was elsewhere. Houses were built mostly by local builders such as New Ideal Homesteads and W.H. Wedlock.

The population in the urban district almost doubled in the 20 years to 1951, from 15,896 in 1931 to 27,950 in 1951.

Housebuilding was interrupted by the Second World War, which affected Crayford badly because the presence of the Royal Arsenal nearby (see Thamesmead) and of the armaments works in the town made Crayford an obvious target for enemy bombers.

The town of Crayford today revolves around the retail trade, and has a large Sainsbury’s hypermarket at its centre. It is home to a substantial commuter population, who travel to London and nearby business and retail centres such as Bexleyheath and the newly opened Bluewater shopping park near Dartford.

Barnehurst:   The story of Barnehurst begins in 1745, when Miles Barne the son of a wealthy London merchant married Elizabeth Elwick (died 1747) the only child of Nathaniel Elwick of May Place in Crayford, on whose death in 1750 Miles Barne inherited May Place and its large estate.
Barnehurst Junior School:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 7 and 11.
Dartford Grammar School for Girls:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
Erith School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19. Admissions policy: Modern (secondary).
Gravel Hill Primary School:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Martens Grove Park:   
Mayplace Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Normandy Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Normandy Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Northumberland Heath Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Northumberland Heath Primary School:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Oakwood School:   Academy special converter which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16.
Our Lady’s Catholic Primary School, Dartford:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Phoenix Sports Club:   
St Fidelis Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
West Hill Primary Academy:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.

Martens Avenue (1934):   Development and destruction. This view shows the scale of work necessary to lay the infrastructure that precedes house building.
Park Grove (1934):   Park Grove was the first road to be laid out in the 1934 Martens Grove Estate.
Trolley bus at Erith Road bus depot (1935):   An unusual trolley bus - other examples in London had a twin rear axle in order to cope with a 70 passenger load.

Alberta Road, DA8 · Alderman Close, DA1 · Alfriston Close, DA1 · Appledore Avenue, DA7 · Ashen Drive, DA1 · Barnehurst Avenue, DA7 · Barnehurst Avenue, DA8 · Barnehurst Close, DA8 · Barnehurst Road, DA7 · Bascombe Grove, DA1 · Bath Road, DA1 · Beckton Place, DA8 · Becton Place, DA8 · Beechcroft Avenue, DA7 · Beverley Road, DA7 · Bexley Road, DA8 · Birch Walk, DA8 · Blenheim Close, DA1 · Blenheim Road, DA1 · Bowmans Road, DA1 · Braemar Avenue, DA7 · Braeside Crescent, DA7 · Brantwood Avenue, DA8 · Brantwood Road, DA7 · Brook Street, DA8 · Brook Vale, DA8 · Broomhill Road, DA1 · Brummel Close, DA7 · Bullman Close, DA7 · Buxton Road, DA8 · Byron Drive, DA8 · Camrose Avenue, DA8 · Carlton Road, DA8 · Carnet Close, DA1 · Castleton Avenue, DA7 · cavendish Avenue, DA8 · Charlieville Road, DA8 · Chastilian Road, DA1 · Chesterfield Drive, DA1 · Cheviot Close, DA7 · Chieveley Road, DA7 · Chiltern Close, DA7 · Clive Avenue, DA1 · Colindale Avenue, DA8 · Collindale Avenue, DA8 · Colyers Close, DA8 · Colyers Lane Primary School, DA7 · Coniston Close, DA7 · Coniston Road, DA7 · Cotswold Close, DA7 · Courtleet Drive, DA8 · Dale Road, DA1 · Denton Road, DA1 · Denver Road, DA1 · Devonshire Avenue, DA1 · Dorothy Evans Close, DA7 · Downbank Avenue, DA7 · Dudsbury Road, DA1 · East Holme, DA8 · Eastleigh Road, DA7 · Edendale Road, DA7 · Edendale Road, DA8 · Elm Grove, DA8 · Emes Road, DA8 · Epsom Close, DA7 · Erith Road, DA7 · Erith Road, DA8 · Erith School, DA8 · Eversley Avenue, DA7 · Eversley Cross, DA7 · Fairford Avenue, DA7 · Falstaff Close, DA1 · Firmin Road, DA1 · FP 231, DA7 · Gainsborough Avenue, DA1 · Galloway Drive, DA1 · Gloucester Road, DA1 · Grasmere Road, DA7 · Grove Road, DA7 · Hallford Way, DA1 · Havelock Road, DA1 · Heath Lane Upper, DA1 · Heath Lane Upper, DA2 · Heath Lane, DA1 · Heath Road, DA1 · Heath Way, DA8 · Heather Drive, DA1 · heatherbank Close, DA1 · Heathlands Rise, DA1 · Heathlee Road, DA1 · Heathview Avenue, DA1 · Heathway, DA8 · Helen Close, DA1 · Hengist Road, DA8 · Highfield Avenue, DA8 · Hilary Close, DA8 · Hill Brow, DA1 · Hillcrest Road, DA1 · Hillingdon Road, DA7 · Hillside Road, DA1 · Hind Crescent, DA8 · Holly Gardens, DA7 · Holmsdale Grove, DA1 · Holmsdale Grove, DA7 · Homer Close, DA7 · Hornbeam Lane, DA7 · Horsa Road, DA8 · Hurst Road, DA8 · Hurstwood Avenue, DA7 · Inglewood Road, DA7 · James Road, DA1 · Kempton Close, DA8 · Kingsridge Gardens, DA1 · Kingswood Close, DA1 · Knole Road, DA1 · Laburnum Avenue, DA1 · Lambert Court, DA8 · Lawrence Hill Gardens, DA1 · Lawrence Hill Road, DA1 · Lea Vale, DA1 · Lea Vale, DA7 · Lesney Park, DA8 · Leysdown Avenue, DA7 · Ling Road, DA8 · Lingwood, DA7 · Lochmere Close, DA8 · Lodge Avenue, DA1 · Lyndhurst Close, DA7 · Lyndhurst Road, DA7 · Maida Vale Road, DA1 · Manor Way, DA7 · Marcet Road, DA1 · Marcus Road, DA1 · Marlborough Road, DA1 · Martens Avenue, DA7 · Martens Close, DA7 · Mason Close, DA7 · Mayplace Close, DA7 · Mayplace primary School, DA7 · Mayplace Road East, DA7 · Melrose Avenue, DA1 · Merewood Road, DA7 · Meyer Road, DA8 · Midfield Avenue, DA7 · Mill Road, DA8 · Morland Avenue, DA1 · Mortimer Road, DA8 · Mount Road, DA1 · Nelson Road, DA1 · North Road, DA1 · Northall Road, DA7 · Northumberland Close, DA8 · Northumberland Heath Minor Injuries Unit, DA8 · Northumberland Heath Primary School, DA8 · Northumberland Park, DA8 · Northumberland Way, DA8 · Oak Road, DA8 · Oakdene Avenue, DA8 · Oakwood Drive, DA7 · Old Bexley Lane, DA1 · Old Manor Way, DA7 · Park Grove, DA7 · Parkside Avenue, DA7 · Penda Road, DA8 · Pinnacle Hill North, DA7 · Pinnacle Hill, DA7 · Quantock Road, DA7 · Raeburn Avenue, DA1 · Ramsden Road, DA8 · Randall Close, DA8 · Randolph Close, DA7 · Rayford Close, DA1 · Ridge Way, DA1 · Risedale Road, DA7 · Rochester Way, DA1 · Ron Green Court, DA8 · Rosedene Court, DA1 · Ross Road, DA1 · Royston Road, DA1 · Rudland Road, DA7 · Rydal Drive, DA8 · Saltcote Close, DA1 · Seaton Road, DA1 · Shepherds Lane, DA1 · Shepherds Lane, DA2 · Silver Spring Close, DA8 · Silver Spring Road, DA8 · Somerset Road, DA1 · Spring Vale, DA7 · Springfield Road, DA7 · St. Paul’s Road, DA8 · Stanham Road, DA1 · Station Road, DA1 · Stephen Road, DA7 · Stiles Close, DA8 · Stonecroft Road, DA8 · Sullivan Close, DA1 · Sussex Road, DA8 · Swaisland Road, DA1 · Swallow Close, DA7 · Swan Lane, DA1 · Taunton Close, DA7 · The Drive, DA8 · Thirlmere Road, DA7 · Thorne Close, DA8 · Three Corners, DA7 · Thwaite Close, DA8 · Thwaite Lodge, DA8 · Tudor Close, DA1 · Turner Court, DA1 · Tyler Close, DA8 · Valley Close, DA1 · Venners Close, DA7 · Walkley Road, DA1 · Waltham Close, DA1 · Ward Close, DA8 · Wellington Road, DA1 · Wentworth Drive, DA1 · West Heath Road, DA1 · West Hill Drive, DA1 · west Holme, DA8 · Western Terrace, DA1 · Westfield Road, DA7 · Wheelock Close, DA8 · Wilmot Road, DA1 · Windermere Road, DA7 · Windsor Drive, DA1 · Winifred Road, DA1 · Woodside Close, DA1 · Woodside Close, DA7 · Woodside Road, AL2 · Woodside Road, DA7 · Woolbrook Road, DA1 · York Terrace, DA8 ·
Print-friendly version of this page


Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


South Essex and North Kent (1805)
Ordnance Survey First Series. The first completed map was of the county of Kent in 1801. The first use of the term Ordnance Survey in manuscript was in 1801, but it did not appear on an engraved map until 1810. William Mudge was the effective head from the start and actual head of the Survey from 1804 to 1820.
Reproduced from the 1805 Ordnance Survey map.

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.