Whetstone Stray is parkland created during the twentieth century from former farmland.
’Stray’ in this context is a common or piece of unenclosed land on which there is a common right of pasture, so historically animals would have been brought here to graze. Whetstone Stray is part of a green corridor consisting of meadows and a brook, with the Dollis Valley Green Walk
Meadows are managed under a cut and lift grassland scheme.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
936' TARGET='_top'>TotteridgeTotteridge is an old English village, and a mixture of suburban development and open land, situated 8 miles north north-west of Charing Cross.
This area was called Tataridge in the 13th Century. It may have been named after someone called Tata. The ridge is the high ground between the valleys of the Dollis Brook and Folly Brook.
Over the centuries the rural qualities of Totteridge have attracted well-to-do families. Cardinal Manning was born at Copped Hall in Totteridge in 1808.
With the opening of the Great Northern Railway station in 1872, late-Victorian and Edwardian mansions were built around the old village. In line with overall trends in the late 9
30s, following the conversion of the railway station (in operation from 1872 until 9
41) into a London Underground station (from 9
40) on the Northern line, smaller properties were built within walking distance of the station (Totteridge and Whetstone tube station). In 9
68 much of Totteridge was designated a Conservation Area, and no major developments have taken place since then.
Totteridge was a civil parish of Hertfordshire covering an area of 1,604 acres and formed part of a thin protrusion into Middlesex. It became part of Barnet
Rural District and had a parish council from 189
4 to 9
14. It then formed part of Barnet
Urban District from 9
14 to 9
65. In 9
65, the parish and urban district were abolished by the London Government Act 9
63 and the area was transferred from Hertfordshire to Greater London, to become part of the London Borough of Barnet
. In 9
01 the parish had a population of 844 and by 9
51 it had risen to 4500.