Mount Road, DA1

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Mainly Edwardian housing

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Acorn Road · Alcock Crescent · Alderman Close · Alfriston Close · Appledore Avenue · Ashen Drive · Barnehurst Avenue · Barnehurst Road · Barnes Cray Road · Bascombe Grove · Bath Road · Bear & Ragged Staff · Beech Haven Court · Beechcroft Avenue · Beverley Road · Bexley Close · Bexley Lane · Bird In Hand · Bowmans Road · Braemar Avenue · Braeside Crescent · Bramley Place · Brantwood Road · Broomhill Road · Brummel Close · Bullman Close · Carnet Close · Castleton Avenue · Chapel Hill · Chastilian Road · Chesterfield Drive · Cheviot Close · Chieveley Road · Chiltern Close · Church Hill · Claston Close · Clive Avenue · Colyers Lane Primary School · Coniston Close · Coniston Road · Cotswold Close · Cray Close · Crayford · Crayford Arms · Crayford High Street · Crayford Industrial Estate · Crayford Road · Crayford Social Club · Crayford Way · Crush · Dale Road · Dartford Bypass · Dartford Road Allotments · Dartford Road · Denton Road · Denver Road · Dorothy Evans Close · Downbank Avenue · Ducketts Road · Dudsbury Road · Duke Of Wellington · Eastleigh Road · Edendale Road · Edendale Road · Epsom Close · Erith Road · Eversley Avenue · Eversley Cross · Fairford Avenue · Falstaff Close · Farm Place · FP 231 · Gable Close · Galloway Drive · Gloucester Road · Grasmere Road · Green Place · Green Walk · Greyhound Way · Grove Road · Havelock Road · Heath Lane Upper · Heath Lane Upper · Heath Lane · Heath Road · Heather Drive · heatherbank Close · Heathlands Rise · Heathlee Road · Heathview Avenue · Helen Close · Hill Brow · Hillcrest Road · Hillingdon Road · Hillside Road · Holly Gardens · Holmsdale Grove · Holmsdale Grove · Homer Close · Hurstwood Avenue · Inglewood Road · James Road · Knole Road · Laburnum Avenue · Leysdown Avenue · Lingwood · London Road · Lower Station Road · Lyndhurst Close · Lyndhurst Road · Maida Vale Road · Manor Way · Marcus Road · Martens Avenue (1934) · Martens Avenue · Martens Close · Martens Grove Park · Mason Close · Mayplace Close · Mayplace primary School · Mayplace Road East · Melrose Avenue · Merewood Road · Midfield Avenue · Morland Avenue · Mount Road · North Road · Northall Road · Oakwood Drive · Old Bexley Lane · Old Manor Way · One Bell · Orchard Hill · Park Grove (1934) · Parkside Avenue · Penny Farthing Bridge · Phoenix Sports Club · Pinnacle Hill North · Pinnacle Hill · Quantock Road · Randolph Close · Rectory Close · Ridge Way · Risedale Road · Rochester Way · Roman Way · Ross Road · Royston Road · Rudland Road · Saltcote Close · Samas Way · Searle Place · Seaton Road · Shepherds Lane · Shepherds Lane · Somerset Road · Spring Vale · Springfield Road · Stadium Way · Star Hill · Station Road · Stephen Road · Sullivan Close · Swaisland Road · Swaislands Drive · Swallow Close · Swan Lane · Taunton Close · The Charlotte · The Dart · The Dukes Head · The Homestead · The Penny Farthing · The Rise · Thirlmere Road · Three Corners · Tower Park Road · Trolley bus at Erith Road bus depot (1935) · Tudor Close · Valley Close · Venners Close · Walkley Road · Waltham Close · Wentworth Drive · West Heath Road · Western Terrace · Westfield Road · White Hill Road · Whitehill Road · Wilmot Road · Windermere Road · Windsor Drive · Winifred Road · Wolsley Close · Woodside Close · Woodside Close · Woodside Road · Woodside Road · Woolbrook Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Crayford · DA1 ·

Mount Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Crayford was combined with other local areas to form the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.

Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.

The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement’s name.

Crayford Manor House stands just to the north-west of St Paulinus Church, probably in roughly the same position as the first manor house, which was established in the 14th century. Crayford actually contained two manors, those of Howbury and Newbury.

Several large houses once stood in the area, including Oakwood, Shenstone and May Place. Little evidence remains of these, although part of the last house called May Place is now incorporated into the clubhouse of Barnehurst Golf Course.

The house was for many years the seat of the lord of the manor and between 1694 and 1707 was the home of Sir Cloudesley Shovell (1650 - 1707), Commander in Chief of the Navy who took part in the capture of Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. Three years later, after his ship the Association was wrecked off the Isles of Scilly, he was strangled for the rings he wore, by a fisherwoman.

The presence of the river in the town led to the growth of industries such as tanning and silk-making, which need a constant supply of free-flowing fresh water. The tannery has long since gone, but the silk-printing works of David Evans Ltd, established in 1843, remain in the town. Swaislands was another long-established local printing firm. It was taken over by GP & J Baker who closed the works only in 1961.

In the early years of the 19th century the huge armaments firm Vickers, originally from Sheffield, moved into the area. In the few short years of the First World War Vickers’ workforce grew from 300 to 14,000. Vickers built an estate, the Crayford Garden Suburb, to the east of the town to house the armaments workers. Whilst all that remains of the Vickers factory today is the clocktower, surrounded by modern retail development, the houses are still very much in evidence and are sought after as homes because of the quality of construction. This area, which borders on Dartford and the County of Kent, became known as Barnes Cray after a prominent local family (the Barnes).

Other industries in the area included barge building in Crayford Creek, brickmaking and motor-car production by the Siddeley Autocar Company, which had its registered works at Crayford in 1902.

After the First World War the production of armaments was reduced, but industry continued to thrive and the local community prospered on the trade brought to the area as a result of the influx of workers during the war. The Princesses Theatre, opened in 1916 on the riverside, was built specifically to entertain these workers but unfortunately burnt to the ground within six months. It was subsequently rebuilt to exactly the same specifications but presumably with improved fire-protection measures!

In 1920 Crayford became an urban district. As in most other local areas, the 1930s saw a period of busy housebuilding, although this was perhaps not as extensive in Crayford as it was elsewhere. Houses were built mostly by local builders such as New Ideal Homesteads and W.H. Wedlock.

The population in the urban district almost doubled in the 20 years to 1951, from 15,896 in 1931 to 27,950 in 1951.

Housebuilding was interrupted by the Second World War, which affected Crayford badly because the presence of the Royal Arsenal nearby (see Thamesmead) and of the armaments works in the town made Crayford an obvious target for enemy bombers.

The town of Crayford today revolves around the retail trade, and has a large Sainsbury’s hypermarket at its centre. It is home to a substantial commuter population, who travel to London and nearby business and retail centres such as Bexleyheath and the newly opened Bluewater shopping park near Dartford.
Print-friendly version of this page


South Essex and North Kent (1805)
Ordnance Survey First Series. The first completed map was of the county of Kent in 1801. The first use of the term Ordnance Survey in manuscript was in 1801, but it did not appear on an engraved map until 1810. William Mudge was the effective head from the start and actual head of the Survey from 1804 to 1820.
Reproduced from the 1805 Ordnance Survey map.

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.