Wentworth Drive, DA1

Road in/near Crayford

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.224.216.155 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Crayford · DA1 · Contributed by The Underground Map
December
1
2017



Wentworth Drive is a road in the DA1 postcode area



ADD A STORY TO WENTWORTH DRIVE

Do you come from Wentworth Drive, DA1, or know it well? Tell your story here.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Wentworth Drive, DA1:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
VIEW THE CRAYFORD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CRAYFORD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CRAYFORD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CRAYFORD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CRAYFORD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Crayford

Crayford was combined with other local areas to form the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.


Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.

The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement’s name.

Crayford Manor House stands just to the north-west of St Paulinus Church, probably in roughly the same position as the first manor house, which was established in the 14th century. Crayford actually contained two manors, those of Howbury and Newbury.

Several large houses once stood in the area, including Oakwood, Shenstone and May Place. Little evidence remains of these, although part of the last house called May Place is now incorporated into the clubhouse of Barnehurst Golf Course.

The house was for many years the seat of the lord of the manor and between 1694 and 1707 was the home of Sir Cloudesley Shovell (1650 - 1707), Commander in Chief of the Navy who took part in the capture of Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. Three years later, after his ship the Association was wrecked off the Isles of Scilly, he was strangled for the rings he wore, by a fisherwoman.

The presence of the river in the town led to the growth of industries such as tanning and silk-making, which need a constant supply of free-flowing fresh water. The tannery has long since gone, but the silk-printing works of David Evans Ltd, established in 1843, remain in the town. Swaislands was another long-established local printing firm. It was taken over by GP & J Baker who closed the works only in 1961.

In the early years of the 19th century the huge armaments firm Vickers, originally from Sheffield, moved into the area. In the few short years of the First World War Vickers’ workforce grew from 300 to 14,000. Vickers built an estate, the Crayford Garden Suburb, to the east of the town to house the armaments workers. Whilst all that remains of the Vickers factory today is the clocktower, surrounded by modern retail development, the houses are still very much in evidence and are sought after as homes because of the quality of construction. This area, which borders on Dartford and the County of Kent, became known as Barnes Cray after a prominent local family (the Barnes).

Other industries in the area included barge building in Crayford Creek, brickmaking and motor-car production by the Siddeley Autocar Company, which had its registered works at Crayford in 1902.

After the First World War the production of armaments was reduced, but industry continued to thrive and the local community prospered on the trade brought to the area as a result of the influx of workers during the war. The Princesses Theatre, opened in 1916 on the riverside, was built specifically to entertain these workers but unfortunately burnt to the ground within six months. It was subsequently rebuilt to exactly the same specifications but presumably with improved fire-protection measures!

In 1920 Crayford became an urban district. As in most other local areas, the 1930s saw a period of busy housebuilding, although this was perhaps not as extensive in Crayford as it was elsewhere. Houses were built mostly by local builders such as New Ideal Homesteads and W.H. Wedlock.

The population in the urban district almost doubled in the 20 years to 1951, from 15,896 in 1931 to 27,950 in 1951.

Housebuilding was interrupted by the Second World War, which affected Crayford badly because the presence of the Royal Arsenal nearby (see Thamesmead) and of the armaments works in the town made Crayford an obvious target for enemy bombers.

The town of Crayford today revolves around the retail trade, and has a large Sainsbury’s hypermarket at its centre. It is home to a substantial commuter population, who travel to London and nearby business and retail centres such as Bexleyheath and the newly opened Bluewater shopping park near Dartford.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Dartford Grammar School for Girls:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
Dartford Heath:   
Gravel Hill Primary School:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Haberdashers’ Aske’s Crayford Academy:   Academy sponsor led (All through) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 19. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Martens Grove Park:   
Mayplace Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Normandy Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Normandy Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Oakwood School:   Academy special converter which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16.
Our Lady’s Catholic Primary School, Dartford:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Phoenix Sports Club:   
West Hill Primary Academy:   Academy converter (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Martens Avenue (1934):   Development and destruction. This view shows the scale of work necessary to lay the infrastructure that precedes house building.
Park Grove (1934):   Park Grove was the first road to be laid out in the 1934 Martens Grove Estate.
Trolley bus at Erith Road bus depot (1935):   An unusual trolley bus - other examples in London had a twin rear axle in order to cope with a 70 passenger load.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
181, DA1 · 247, DA1 · 249, DA1 · Acorn Road, DA1 · Alcock Crescent, DA1 · Alderman Close, DA1 · Alfriston Close, DA1 · Ambrose Close, DA1 · Appledore Avenue, DA7 · Ashen Drive, DA1 · Barnehurst Avenue, DA7 · Barnehurst Road, DA7 · Barnes Cray Road, DA1 · Bascombe Grove, DA1 · Bath Road, DA1 · Beech Walk, DA1 · Beechcroft Avenue, DA7 · Beult Road, DA1 · Beverley Road, DA7 · Blenheim Close, DA1 · Blenheim Road, DA1 · Bowmans Road, DA1 · Braemar Avenue, DA7 · Braeside Crescent, DA7 · Bramley Place, DA1 · Brantwood Road, DA7 · Broomhill Road, DA1 · Brummel Close, DA7 · Bullman Close, DA7 · Carnet Close, DA1 · Castleton Avenue, DA7 · Chastilian Road, DA1 · Chesterfield Drive, DA1 · Cheviot Close, DA7 · Chieveley Road, DA7 · Chiltern Close, DA7 · Clayton Croft Road, DA2 · Clive Avenue, DA1 · Colyers Lane Primary School, DA7 · Coniston Close, DA1 · Coniston Close, DA7 · Coniston Road, DA7 · Cotswold Close, DA7 · Cowdrey Court, DA1 · Cray Close, DA1 · Crayford Road, DA1 · Crayford Way, DA1 · Dale Road, DA1 · Dartford Heath exit, DA1 · Denton Road, DA1 · Denver Road, DA1 · Devonshire Avenue, DA1 · Dorothy Evans Close, DA7 · Downbank Avenue, DA7 · Ducketts Road, DA1 · Dudsbury Road, DA1 · Eardemont Close, DA1 · Eastleigh Road, DA7 · Edendale Road, DA7 · Edendale Road, DA8 · Epsom Close, DA7 · Erith Road, DA7 · Eversley Avenue, DA7 · Eversley Cross, DA7 · Fairford Avenue, DA7 · Falstaff Close, DA1 · Farm Place, DA1 · Firmin Road, DA1 · FP 231, DA7 · Gable Close, DA1 · Gainsborough Avenue, DA1 · Galloway Drive, DA1 · Gloucester Road, DA1 · Grasmere Road, DA7 · Green Walk, DA1 · Grove Road, DA7 · Hallford Way, DA1 · Havelock Road, DA1 · Heath Close Road, DA1 · Heath Lane Upper, DA1 · Heath Lane Upper, DA2 · Heath Lane, DA1 · Heath Road, DA1 · Heathclose Avenue, DA1 · Heather Drive, DA1 · heatherbank Close, DA1 · Heathlands Rise, DA1 · Heathlee Road, DA1 · Heathview Avenue, DA1 · Heathview Crescent, DA1 · Helen Close, DA1 · Hill Brow, DA1 · Hillcrest Road, DA1 · Hillingdon Road, DA7 · Hillside Road, DA1 · Holly Gardens, DA7 · Holmsdale Grove, DA1 · Holmsdale Grove, DA7 · Homer Close, DA7 · Hurstwood Avenue, DA7 · Inglewood Road, DA7 · Iron Mill Lane, DA1 · James Road, DA1 · Kingsridge Gardens, DA1 · Kingswood Close, DA1 · Knole Road, DA1 · Laburnum Avenue, DA1 · Lawrence Hill Gardens, DA1 · Lawrence Hill Road, DA1 · Leysdown Avenue, DA7 · Leyton Cross Road, DA2 · Lingwood, DA7 · Lodge Avenue, DA1 · Lyndhurst Close, DA7 · Lyndhurst Road, DA7 · Maida Vale Road, DA1 · Maiden Lane, DA1 · Manor Way, DA7 · Marcet Road, DA1 · Marcus Road, DA1 · Marlborough Road, DA1 · Martens Avenue, DA7 · Martens Close, DA7 · Mason Close, DA7 · Mayplace Avenue, DA1 · Mayplace Close, DA7 · Mayplace primary School, DA7 · Mayplace Road East, DA7 · Medway Road, DA1 · Melrose Avenue, DA1 · Merewood Road, DA7 · Midfield Avenue, DA7 · Mill Place, DA1 · Morland Avenue, DA1 · Mount Road, DA1 · Nelson Road, DA1 · North Road, DA1 · Northall Road, DA7 · Oakfield Lane, DA2 · Oakwood Drive, DA7 · Old Bexley Lane, DA1 · Old Manor Way, DA7 · Orchard Avenue, DA1 · Park Grove, DA7 · Parkside Avenue, DA7 · Pinnacle Hill North, DA7 · Pinnacle Hill, DA7 · Quantock Road, DA7 · Raeburn Avenue, DA1 · Randolph Close, DA7 · Rayford Close, DA1 · Ridge Way, DA1 · Risedale Road, DA7 · Rochester Way, DA1 · Rosedene Court, DA1 · Ross Road, DA1 · Royston Road, DA1 · Rudland Road, DA7 · Russell Close, DA1 · Saltcote Close, DA1 · Samas Way, DA1 · School Crescent, DA1 · Seaton Road, DA1 · Shepherds Lane, DA1 · Shepherds Lane, DA2 · Somerset Road, DA1 · Spring Vale, DA7 · Springfield Road, DA7 · Stanham Place, DA1 · Stanham Road, DA1 · Station Road, DA1 · Stephen Road, DA7 · Sullivan Close, DA1 · Swaisland Road, DA1 · Swale Road, DA1 · Swallow Close, DA7 · Swan Lane, DA1 · Taunton Close, DA7 · The Rise, DA1 · Thirlmere Road, DA7 · Three Corners, DA7 · Tredegar Road, DA2 · Tudor Close, DA1 · Turner Court, DA1 · Vale Road, DA1 · Valley Close, DA1 · Venners Close, DA7 · Village Green Road, DA1 · Walkley Road, DA1 · Waltham Close, DA1 · Wellington Road, DA1 · Wentworth Drive, DA1 · West Heath Road, DA1 · West Hill Drive, DA1 · Western Terrace, DA1 · Westfield Road, DA7 · White Hill Road, DA1 · Whitehill Road, DA1 · Wilmington Court Road, DA2 · Wilmot Road, DA1 · Windermere Road, DA7 · Windsor Drive, DA1 · Winifred Road, DA1 · Woodside Close, DA1 · Woodside Close, DA7 · Woodside Road, AL2 · Woodside Road, DA7 · Woolbrook Road, DA1 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

What is Wentworth Drive, DA1 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


South Essex and North Kent (1805)
Ordnance Survey First Series. The first completed map was of the county of Kent in 1801. The first use of the term Ordnance Survey in manuscript was in 1801, but it did not appear on an engraved map until 1810. William Mudge was the effective head from the start and actual head of the Survey from 1804 to 1820.
Reproduced from the 1805 Ordnance Survey map.

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.