Orme Square, W2
Road in/near Bayswater, existing between 1823 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Bayswater is one of London's most cosmopolitan areas - also one of London's biggest concentration of hotels.
Orme Square is named after Edward Orme, formerly a printseller in Bond Street.
Orme purchased a considerable space of ground lying to the west of Craven Hill
, upon which the Square is built.
Buildings to the north-east of Orme Square were erected about 1815, called St Petersburg Place, Moscow Road
and Coburg Place. The names commemorate the visit of the sovereigns in 1814.
In the centre of St Petersburg Place, Mr Orme erected a private chapel in 1818.
Notably, there is a significant Arab population, a large number of Americans, a substantial Greek community attracted by London's Greek Orthodox Cathedral and the area is also a centre of London's Brazilian community.
Architecturally, the biggest part of the area is made up of Victorian mansion blocks, mostly, although not exclusively, divided up into flats. There are also purpose built apartment blocks dating from the inter-war period as well as more recent developments, and a there is large Council Estate, the 800 flat Hallfield Estate
, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and now largely sold off. There are some garden squares in the area.
and Westbourne Grove
are busy High Streets, with a very large number of ethnic restaurants.
Bayswater tube station lies between Notting Hill Gate
The station was opened 1 October 1868, just 5 years after the London Underground started. It was renamed several times: to Bayswater (Queen's Road) & Westbourne Grove
in 1923, to Bayswater (Queen's Road) in 1933.