Argyle Gardens, RM14

Road in/near Upminster

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
52.206.226.77 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Argyle Gardens · Ashburnham Gardens · Beech Avenue · Canterbury Avenue · Champion Road · Church View · Claremont Gardens · Clockhouse Gardens · Coniston Avenue · Corbets Tey Road · Cranston Park Avenue · Deyncourt Gardens · Eaton Road · Eversleigh Gardens · Gaynes Cross (1913) · Gaynes Park Road · Gaynes Parkway · Holden Way · Howard Road · Leasway · Oak Avenue · Oakwood Chase · Park Drive · Pike Lane · Pond Walk · Rectory Gardens · Springfield Gardens · St Lawrence Road · Station Approach · Station Road · Thames Chase Forest · The Fairway · The Meads · The Shrubbery · Upminster · Upminster Park · Waldegrave Gardens · Winchester Avenue · Wych Elm Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Upminster · RM14 ·
JANUARY
10
2018

Argyle Gardens is a road in the RM14 postcode area


VIEW THE UPMINSTER AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPMINSTER AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPMINSTER AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPMINSTER AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPMINSTER AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Upminster

Upminster is a suburban town in northeast London, England, and part of the London Borough of Havering. Located some 16 miles east-northeast of Charing Cross, it is one of the locally important district centres identified in the London Plan.

Upminster was historically, a rural village in Essex and formed an ancient parish.

Although peripheral to London, the town has good transport links; it was first connected to central London by rail in 1885 and has a terminal station on the London Underground network.

The economic history of Upminster is characterised by a shift from farming to garden suburb. As part of the suburban growth of London in the 20th century, Upminster significantly expanded and increased in population, becoming part of Hornchurch Urban District in 1934, and has formed part of Greater London since 1965.

The London Tilbury and Southend Railway connected London with Tilbury in 1854 and with Southend in 1856. The route to Southend was not direct, taking a considerable diversion in order to serve the port at Tilbury. Between 1885 and 1888 a new direct route from Barking to Pitsea was constructed, with the station at Upminster opening in 1885.

The Whitechapel and Bow Railway opened in 1902 and allowed through services of the Metropolitan District Railway to operate over the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway tracks to Upminster. The District Railway converted to electric trains in 1905 and services were lost at Upminster when they were cut back to East Ham. Branches were opened by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway to Grays in 1892 and Romford in 1893. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway was purchased by the Midland Railway in 1912 and was amalgamated into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway on 1 January 1923.

The District Railway electric service extended eastward towards Upminster as far as Barking in 1908. Delayed by World War I, an additional pair of electrified tracks were extended by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and services of the District resumed at Upminster in 1932.

The District Railway was incorporated into London Transport in 1933, and became known as the District line. A new station at Upminster Bridge became the next station to the west in 1934.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.