Adam Street, WC2R

Road in/near Aldwych, existing between 1769 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.214.179 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Aldwych · WC2R ·
JUNE
17
2018

Adam Street is named after John and Robert Adam, who built the Adelphi development in the 1760s.


Few of their buildings remain. Number 7, with honeysuckle pilasters and lacy ironwork, is one attractive survival.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Aldwych

Aldwych is a closed station on the London Underground; formerly a branch line of the Piccadilly Line.

It was opened in 1907 with the name Strand, after the street on which it is located, and was the terminus and only station on the short Piccadilly line branch from Holborn that was a relic of the merger of two railway schemes. The station building is close to the junction of Strand and Surrey Street, near Aldwych. During its lifetime, the branch was the subject of a number of unrealised extension proposals that would have seen the tunnels through the station extended southwards, usually to Waterloo.

Served by a shuttle train for most of their life and suffering from low passenger numbers, the station and branch were considered for closure several times. A weekday peak hours-only service survived until closure in 1994, when the cost of replacing the lifts was considered too high compared to the income generated.

Disused parts of the station and the running tunnels were used during both World Wars to shelter artworks from London's public galleries and museums from bombing.

The station has long been popular as a filming location and has appeared as itself and as other London Underground stations in a number of films. In recognition of its historical significance, the station is a Grade II listed building.
Print-friendly version of this page