Rose Croft Gardens, NW2

Road in/near Dollis Hill, existing between the 1930s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.175.113.29 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Dollis Hill · NW2 ·
JANUARY
25
2018

Rose Croft Gardens is a cul-de-sac off of Dollis Hill Lane.


In the 1920s and 30s new housing estates sprang up in Neasden and Oxgate, which brought thousands of people into the area. In the early 20s the North Circular Road was cut through the middle of the parish, and towards the end of that decade the Nicol Estate was built on its north side, and the Brentwater Estate on its other side. Braintcroft School was opened in 1928, and Wykeham School in 1930.

Neasden Golf Course began to be eaten away in 1926, and in 1929 the contents of the clubhouse were auctioned off. Within a year the golf course was covered by the houses of the “Dollis Park” estate to its eastern boundary at Vincent Gardens. The last country landmark in Neasden Lane, Jackman’s Forge, disappeared to make room for the new shopping parade. A new church hall for St Catherine’s Church was opened in 1928, and the old parish room which had been built in 1907 was demolished.

At the turn of the decade Neasden Recreation Ground was formed, then Neasden Library was built on the corner of Aboyne Road and the North Circular Road, opening in 1931. In 1930 the rear part of Neasden House was demolished to make way for Cairnfield Avenue, and the front part was converted into flats. In the early 1930s Neasden Shopping Centre was completed after Elmsted park estate, which lay between Neasden Lane, Dog Lane and the North Circular Road, was built on. At the junction of Neasden Lane and Dudden Hill Lane, Neasden Green, which had been getting smaller and smaller as the roads were widened, disappeared when Neasden Lane was bent back to meet Dudden Hill Lane at right angles opposite the new Tanfield Avenue. The playing fields south of Dollis Hill Lane was sold in the early 1930s to builders, including one called Lennox after whose family at least one and possibly three of the roads were named.

A new vicarage was built for St Catherine’s Church in Tanfield Avenue when it became the parish church of Neasden-cum-Kingsbury in 1932 in place of Old St Andrew’s, Kingsbury. The land north of West Way, Aboyne Road and the North Circular Road was incorporated in the new parish. The Ritz Cinema was built on the site of Neasden Cricket Club, opening in 1935. The cricket club moved to new land in Kingsbury. In 1938 the remainder of Neasden House was demolished and replaced by four blocks of flats named Clifford Court.

At the beginning of the Second World War an Emergency War Headquarters was set up at the General Post Office’s research station at Dollis Hill, where the War Cabinet could meet. And a citadel was built for the Admiralty on the corner of Oxgate Lane and the Edgware Road. The nearby block of flats called Neville Court was requisitioned to provide accommodation for Admiralty staff and Government officials. Two flats in it were knocked together for the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill and his secretaries.


Main source: History - St Catherine's Church, NEASDEN
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Dollis Hill

Dollis Hill tube station lies on the Jubilee Line, between Willesden Green and Neasden. Metropolitan Line trains pass though the station, but do not stop.

The Dollis Hill Estate was formed in the early 19th century, when the Finch family bought up a number of farms in the area to form a single estate. Dollis Hill House itself was built in the 1820s.

William Ewart Gladstone, the UK Prime Minister, was a frequent visitor to Dollis Hill House in the late 19th century. The year after his death, 1899, Willesden Council acquired much of the Dollis Hill Estate for use as a public park, which was named Gladstone Park.

Mark Twain stayed in Dollis Hill House in the summer of 1900. He wrote that ’Dollis Hill comes nearer to being a paradise than any other home I ever occupied’.

The code-breaking Colossus computer, used at Bletchley Park during the Second World War, was built at the Post Office Research Station in Dollis Hill by a team lead by Tommy Flowers. The station was relocated to Martlesham Heath at the end of the 1970s.

A World War II bunker for Winston Churchill called Paddock is located here.

The fictional Dollis Hill Football Club features occasionally in the British satirical magazine Private Eye, and Dollis Hill tube station, although real, is frequently played in the radio panel game Mornington Crescent.
Print-friendly version of this page