Whielden Street, Amersham, Bucks.

Road in/near Amersham, existing until now

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Amersham · HP7 ·

Whielden Street is the only street with this name in the UK.

Laying a new gas main in Whielden Street, Amersham (1910).
Credit: George Ward/Amersham Museum
Whielden Street either took its name from the 14th-century William de Whildene or from the Anglo-Saxon “Hwael” meaning “Curve” and “Dene” meaning “Valley” – “Whielden” meaning a curving valley. It road is part of the old Reading turnpike, the Judges’ Assize road from Reading to Hatfield, and as such must have been used for many centuries.

The Amersham Hospital was at one time the Union Workhouse and Whielden Street was sometimes called Union Street in the 19th century, named after the Workhouse for the Amersham Union of Parishes, built in 1838.

There are a number of 17th century houses in the road.

At the top of Whielden Street was once the Market Square but now is part of the High Street.


Laying a new gas main in Whielden Street, Amersham (1910).
George Ward/Amersham Museum



Amersham is a market town 27 miles north west of London, in the Chiltern Hills, England. It is part of the London commuter belt.

Amersham is split into two distinct areas: Old Amersham, set in the valley of the River Misbourne, which contains the 13th century parish church of St. Mary's and several old pubs and coaching inns; and Amersham-on-the-Hill, which grew rapidly around the railway station in the early part of the 20th century.

Records date back to pre-Anglo-Saxon times, when it was known as Egmondesham.

In 1200 Geoffrey, Earl of Essex obtained a charter for Amersham allowing him to hold a Friday market and a fair on 7 and 8 September. In 1613 a new charter was granted to Edward, Earl of Bedford, changing the market day to Tuesday and establishing a statute fair on 19 September.

The area of the town now known as Amersham on the Hill was referred to as Amersham Common until after the arrival of the Metropolitan Line in 1892. After this date growth of the new area of the town gradually accelerated, with much work being done by the architect John Kennard). It is now known locally as the Top Town.

Amersham is linked to London by the Metropolitan Line of London Underground and is the last station on the Metropolitan main line. Much of this line is shared with the mainline railway service, which runs from Marylebone to Aylesbury.

The construction of the railway line was controversial at the time and objections from local landowners prevented its construction until 1892.
Print-friendly version of this page

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.