Hammersmith is a district in west London, England, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, approximately five miles (eight kilometres) west of Charing Cross on the north bank of the River Thames.
The New Blue Hall Cinema opened on 10 December 1912 with a seating capacity of 1300.
It was built and operated by Blue Halls Limited. It was such a success that a second cinema known as the Blue Hall Extension was opened on 26 December 1913 at the rear of the original Blue Hall. This second cinema had a seating capacity of 1743 and was designed by architect John Quilter & Sons.
By 1918 the Blue Halls were operated by A.E. Abrahams and were soon leased out to Favourite Cinemas Ltd.
By 1930 the cinemas were known as the Blue Hall Cinema with a seating capacity of 1,241 and the Blue Hall Annexe Cinema with a seating capacity of 1,743 and they had been taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC). Both cinemas showed different programmes.
In 1935 ABC were planning a new cinema for Hammersmith
and the Blue Hall Cinema was demolished to be replaced by the Regal Cinema. The Blue Hall Annexe continued to operate while the new Regal Cinema was being built. When that opened on 14 September 1936 the Blue Hall Annexe was closed and demolished to provide a cinema car park at the rear of the new Regal Cinema.
The Regal Cinema operated as a 4-screen Cineworld Hammersmith
until its closure in April 2016.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
New Blue Hall Cinema
User unknown/public domain
One of west London's key transport hubs and commercial and employment centres, and home to several multinational company offices, it is focused on the two London Underground stations, bus station and road network node at Hammersmith Broadw
Hammersmith's pedestrianised riverside is popular for its many pubs, and excellent views of the river and its annual Boat Race.
The area has provided a location for several TV programmes. The Flying Squad were Hammersmith-based in the 1970s TV series The Sweeney
. It has for some decades been the main centre of London's Polish minority.
Hammersmith is served by two tube stations, one is the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line, the other by the Piccadilly and District Lines. Both are called Hammersmith. The latter tube station is part of a larger office, retail and transport development, locally known as The Broadway
after its large encompassing roundabout.
The present Hammersmith & City station is situated on Beadon Road
and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington. The Circle line has served Hammersmith since 13 December 2009.
The Piccadilly and District line station was opened on 9 September 1874 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) as the western terminus of the railway when it was extended from Earl's Court.