Arden Street, SW8

Road in/near Nine Elms, existed between 1862 and the 1970s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.88.161.108 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Abbey Close · Albert Palace Mansions · Alfreda Street · All Saints Court · Allen Edwards Drive · Arches Lane · Arden Street · Astle Street · Battersea Park · Battersea Power Station · Bradmead · Bramley Crescent · Brooklands Passage · Brough Close · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive North · Ceylon Street · Charles Clowes Walk · Chelsea Bridge Wharf · Chelsea Bridge · Chelsea Bridge · Chelsea Embankment · Cherwell Street · Churchill Gardens Road · Circus Road West · Courland Street · Crimsworth Road · Cringle Street · Cringle Street · Cupar Road · Darsley Drive · Davidson Gardens · Dolphin Square West Side · Dolphin Square West · Elm Lane · Fount Street · Grosvenor Road · Grosvenor Road · Guildford Road · Haines Street · Hartington Road · Hemans Street · Howard Building · Kenchester Close · Kirtling Street · Lansdowne Gardens · Lansdowne Green · Lansdowne Way · Malthouse Road · Meath Street · Minshull Street · New Mill Road · New Union Square · Newtown Street · Nine Elms · Nine Elms Lane · Oswald Building · Pascal Street · Paxton Terrace · Ponton Road · Post Office Way · Prince Of Wales Mansions · Priory Court · Priory Mews · Queenstown Road · Ravenet Street · Ravenet Street · Rawson Street · Rawson Street · Riverlight 4 Riverlight Quay · Riverlight Quay 8Ea · Riverlight Quay · Riverside Walk East · Riverside Walk · Savona Street · Sleaford Street School · Sleaford Street · Sopwith Way · South Lambeth Road · Southolm Street Southwest · St. Georges Close · Stewart Court · Stewart’s Road · Teversham Lane · The Bridge · Thorparch Road · Tideway Walk · Trenchold Street · Vauxhall · Vauxhall Station early 1900s. · Viaduct Gardens · Viceroy Road · Village Courtyard · Wadhurst Road · Walton Close · Wandsworth Road · Wheatsheaf Lane · Wilcox Road · Wyvil Estate
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Nine Elms · SW8 ·
November
4
2014

Arden Street disappeared as the New Covent Garden Market was built.


In the eighteenth century, Nine Elms Lane turned northwards, roughly along the present line of Cringle Street. The main thoroughfare continued westwards: it was at first called Battersea Road, then Lower Wandsworth Road, and after 1871 Battersea Park Road. Hence the change of name from Nine Elms Lane to Battersea Park Road at this point. On the north side, the Royal Rifleman pub (1858–9) and a few adjacent houses at this junction marked the eastern extremity of Crown purchases of land for Battersea Park during the 1840s.

Opposite, a short stretch of the main road was bordered in the years before development by some small fields up to the line of modern Sleaford Street. Most of this was Ponton land, but one acre belonged to the owners of Longhedge Farm before it was bought for St George’s (1827–8), Battersea’s second parish church.

In 1862–70 the isolated church was encompassed by the biggest of four Battersea developments promoted by the speculating solicitor Frederick Haines and his accomplice W. R. Glasier of Glasier & Son, surveyors. It comprised four new streets: Haines Street, Tweed Street, Arden Street and Cherwell Street.

West of the church Ceylon Street was laid out by J. W. Brooker, architect, on a small freehold belonging to Edward Pain.

The streets disappeared in the early 1970s as part of the siting of the New Covent Garden Market.

Main source

Links and further reading

Facebook Page
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Nine Elms

Nine Elms is a planned London Underground station to be built in Nine Elms, Battersea.

It is to be served by the Northern line as part of a two-station extension from Kennington to serve the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station. It will serve as the intermediate for the new branch. The station will be the nearest station to the New Covent Garden Market.

The station was given the final approval by the Secretary of State for Transport in November 2014 with it projected to open along with Battersea Power Station tube station and the whole extension by 2020.

Construction began in 2015. In mid-February 2017 the two large tunnel boring machines were delivered to the Battersea construction site, and lowered to tunnel level by a large crane. The boring machines have been named Helen and Amy following a competition amongst local school children.

Battersea Power Station and Nine Elms tube stations will be located in Zone 1. Trains from Battersea will only run via Charing Cross as the branch will be extended off the Kennington Loop.

The station will be designed and built by Ferrovial Agroman Laing O’Rourke.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.