Cherwell Street, SW8

Road in/near Nine Elms, existed between 1862 and the 1970s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.229.97.16 
Abbey Close · Albert Palace Mansions · Alfreda Street · All Saints Court · Allen Edwards Drive · Arches Lane · Arden Street · Astle Street · Battersea Park · Battersea Power Station · Bradmead · Bramley Crescent · Brooklands Passage · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive North · Ceylon Street · Charles Clowes Walk · Chelsea Bridge Wharf · Chelsea Bridge · Chelsea Bridge · Chelsea Embankment · Cherwell Street · Churchill Gardens Road · Circus Road West · Courland Street · Crimsworth Road · Cringle Street · Cringle Street · Cupar Road · Darsley Drive · Davidson Gardens · Dolphin Square West Side · Dolphin Square West · Elm Lane · Fount Street · Grosvenor Road · Grosvenor Road · Guildford Road · Haines Street · Hartington Road · Hemans Street · Howard Building · Kenchester Close · Kirtling Street · Lansdowne Gardens · Lansdowne Green · Lansdowne Way · Malthouse Road · Meath Street · Minshull Street · New Mill Road · New Union Square · Newtown Street · Nine Elms · Nine Elms Lane · Oswald Building · Pascal Street · Paxton Terrace · PO Box 71292 · PO Box 71298 · Ponton Road · Post Office Way · Prince Of Wales Mansions · Priory Court · Priory Mews · Queenstown Road · Ravenet Street · Ravenet Street · Rawson Street · Rawson Street · Riverlight 4 Riverlight Quay · Riverlight Quay 8Ea · Riverlight Quay · Riverside Walk East · Riverside Walk · Savona Street · Sleaford Street School · Sleaford Street · Sopwith Way · Southolm Street Southwest · St. Georges Close · Stewart Court · Stewart’s Road · The Bridge · Thorparch Road · Tideway Walk · Trenchold Street · Viaduct Gardens · Viceroy Road · Village Courtyard · Wadhurst Road · Walton Close · Wandsworth Road · Wheatsheaf Lane · Wilcox Road · Wyvil Estate
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Nine Elms · SW8 · Contributed by The Underground Map
October
22
2015

Cherwell Street was built by Frederick Haynes in the mid-Victoria era.

In 1862, a speculator called Frederick Haines moved to build on a plot of land called "9/10 Cross Road Shot". Five parties were involved: Joseph Clarke, Riverhill near Sevenoaks; Arthur Pott of Tunbridge Wells; William Williams of Lincolns Inn Fields; Henry Stevenson, Shepherds Bush; and Francis Woodgate, captain in the Life Guards, of Sevenoaks.

There was no expense in laying out roads, although drainage would of course have been required. Houses were then built on plots by builders.

1-6 Culvert Road were leased to George Bateman, a Brixton builder, in Nov. 1862 to March 1863. An extra house - la - was inserted and leased to Robert Rice on 23 December 1867.

1-5 Carlton Cottages in the main road were leased to Henry Hunt, builder on 20 January 1866.

Haines acquired two parcels of enclosed land, occupied by Henry Shailer and Graham on 16 April 1862, involving the same parties as at Culvert Road.

The estate plan, by Glasier & Son, was approved in May 1862. No time was lost, the earliest lease being for 1-3 Haines Street (named after himself) in August 1862.

The first ten houses involved five builders. 11-13 were not let to James Brooker until 17 May 1869. Brooker, of New Kent Road, was one of two major builders here, with 24 houses: 11-13 and 43-57 Haines St.; 26-31 Tweed St., and 26-38 Ceylon St. 43-50 Haines St. were sold to Robert Hawkins, a wholesale grocer of Borough, who paid £1,420 (£177.50 each) in June 1866. By 1892 he was farming at Slinfold (Sussex) and handsomely rewarded, selling them to the Gas, Light & Coke Co. for £2,450.

The other major builders were William and Frederick Croaker of Great Dover Street, Southwark, who erected at least 22 houses in Moat St. and Battersea Park Road. 15-21 Moat St. were leased to William Henry Croaker by direction of William Croaker of Brixton, on 5 May 1864.

4-7 were built by William Young of Brixton, leased by Haines at the Croakers’ direction in September 1865. The Croakers assigned 11 houses in Moat St. to Brooker in November 1869 and mortgaged 14 to William Haines of Chichester. Henry Nixon of Clapham Road leased 58-61 Haines St. on 11 November 1862.

Trades prohibited included dogskinning and boiling horseflesh, an interesting commentary on the activities undertaken in some development. Prohibited trades here also included catgut spinning and bagnio-keeping.

On 10 March 1870, W.R. and W.H.B. Glasier acquired 83 houses on the estate for £3,880, an average of only £47 each, equivalent to 18 years’ purchase.

Perhaps Haines was tired of the lengthy process of building, taking advantage of an offer from his surveyor in an attempt to cut his losses. The following day, W.R. Glasier mortgaged them, along with 25 houses in Culvert Rd. and Sheepcote Lane (in the latter case, Haines had bought plots on an estate developed by Glasier), for £5,000 to John Fitzherbert and Francis Wright of Derbyshire; Gerard Meynell of Rutland Gate; and Hampden Clement of Belgrave Square.

The experiences of Frederick Haines clearly demonstrate that however alluring the prospect of acquiring cheap land at the outset of a building boom and reaping short- and long-term gains therefrom, the reality could be very different.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NINE ELMS AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Nine Elms

Nine Elms is a planned London Underground station to be built in Nine Elms, Battersea.

It is to be served by the Northern line as part of a two-station extension from Kennington to serve the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station. It will serve as the intermediate for the new branch. The station will be the nearest station to the New Covent Garden Market.

The station was given the final approval by the Secretary of State for Transport in November 2014 with it projected to open along with Battersea Power Station tube station and the whole extension by 2020.

Construction began in 2015. In mid-February 2017 the two large tunnel boring machines were delivered to the Battersea construction site, and lowered to tunnel level by a large crane. The boring machines have been named Helen and Amy following a competition amongst local school children.

Battersea Power Station and Nine Elms tube stations will be located in Zone 1. Trains from Battersea will only run via Charing Cross as the branch will be extended off the Kennington Loop.

The station will be designed and built by Ferrovial Agroman Laing O’Rourke.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.