Newmarket Farm

Farm in/near Hampstead Garden Suburb, existing until 1855

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.175.113.29 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Farm · Hampstead Garden Suburb · N2 ·
August
9
2016

Newmarket Farm existed until 1855.


47 acres of Newmarket Farm were sold to St Marylebone Burial Board. The cemetery, designed by Barnett and Birch, opened in 1855. The Crematorium was not built until 1937.

To the east of Newmarket Farm, a field provided a cricket ground.

Opposite the cemetery from 1864 was the Convent of the Good Shepherd. In 1873 it became either a reformatory for former female prisoners
or a Magdalene asylum for fallen women. Following a fire in the 1970s most of the buildings were demolished and replaced by Bishop Douglass
School and the Thomas More estate.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx



 

Hampstead Garden Suburb

Hampstead Garden Suburb is a suburb, north of Hampstead, west of Highgate, and east of Golders Green. It is an example of early twentieth-century domestic architecture and town planning located in the London Borough of Barnet in northwest London.

The master plan was prepared by Barry Parker and Sir Raymond Unwin.
Print-friendly version of this page