Print-friendly version of this page Stepney Green tube station lies on the corner of Mile End Road and Globe Road in the Stepney neighbourhood of east London.
XX Place is one of the oddest street names that ever existed in London.
XX Place was built in 1842 for workers employed at the nearby Charringtons Brewery who called it "two X place" or "Double X Place".
It was a very short road consisting of ten terraced houses running along one side of the street. Each house had a very small backyard.
On the other side was a Stepney Borough Council depot where kerbstones were stored.
There was a corner shop at the junction of XX Place and Globe Road
. In the 1920s, it was for a while a doctor’s surgery. It then became a children’s clothing store and after that a radio shop.
There was a pub on the Mile End Road
called the Black Boy. There was an alleyway down to the pub which was closed at the beginning of the 20th century to allow the redevelopment caused by the opening of Stepney Green station in 1902.
XX Place was demolished in 1958 as part of a London County Council slum clearance programme.
User unknown/public domain
The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel and Bow Railway, a joint venture between the District Railway and the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The new railway connected the District Railway at Whitechapel with the London, Tilbury and Southend at Bow.
Electrified District Railway services started in 1905. Hammersmith and City line services (then part of the Metropolitan line) started in 1936. The station passed to London Underground in 1950.
The layout and design of the station is largely unchanged with many original features intact.
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
|Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.