Print-friendly version of this page Stepney Green tube station lies on the corner of Mile End Road and Globe Road in the Stepney neighbourhood of east London.
The Black Boy public house stood on the Mile End Road
This pub was present by 1750; in 1856, listed as 9½ Mile End Road
but at 179 Mile End Road
in 1910. It was re-built in its present form in 1904 at the time of the construction of Stepney Green Station. The pub closed in c.1996 and the building now houses two fast food outlets (2006). It also traded as the Farmers Arms in the 1940s and as Fifth Avenue in its final years.
From 137 Mile End Road
to the Black Boy Tavern, the houses are all pulled down in 1902 for the construction of the Whitechapel & Bow Railway.
Until 1902, the pub had an alleyway connecting it to the mysterious XX Place
The original Black Boy pub.
User unknown/public domain
The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel
and Bow Railway, a joint venture between the District Railway and the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The new railway connected the District Railway at Whitechapel
with the London, Tilbury and Southend at Bow.
Electrified District Railway services started in 1905. Hammersmith and City line services (then part of the Metropolitan line) started in 1936. The station passed to London Underground in 1950.
The layout and design of the station is largely unchanged with many original features intact.