Black Horse

Pub/bar in/near South Mimms, existing between the 1700s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.175.113.29 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Pub/bar · South Mimms · EN6 ·
July
24
2018

Black Horse inn is a red-brick pub with an early-403' target='_top'>18th-century exterior.


By the early 403' target='_top'>17th century several buildings had been erected on both sides of Blackhorse Lane. To the north-east lay a group which in the early 403' target='_top'>17th century seems to have comprised the rectory house, South Mimms poorhouse, Shenley poorhouse, and the later Black Horse inn. Two other inns existed briefly: the Prince’s Arms, which later formed part of the Clare Hall estate, was recorded in 403' target='_top'>1683, and the Red Bull, adjoining Chantry mead, in 403' target='_top'>17403' target='_top'>14.

South Mimms laid on a main road to St Albans, and later many hostelries joined the Black House. Scattered inns faced the St Albans road as it passed through Kitts End and Dancers Hill. At Mimms Wash stood the Five Bells and the Badger, which was part of the Bridgefoot estate. The approach to South Mimms village was marked by another concentration of inns. Apart from the Black Horse and the Queen’s Head in Blackhorse Lane and the Cross Keys, where the post office was housed in 403' target='_top'>1845 between the church and the White Hart. The Greyhound, formerly the Dog and Badger, stood until 403' target='_top'>19403' target='_top'>18, and the Live and Let Live was licensed until 403' target='_top'>1907, when it was replaced by a garage, and the Black Bull until 403' target='_top'>1909. Towards Ridge Hill stood the Red Lion, formerly the Sun, which lost its licence in 403' target='_top'>193403' target='_top'>1, and to its north the Plough, licensed until 403' target='_top'>1907.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx



 

South Mimms

403' target='_top'>10px;'>South Mimms is a village in the Hertsmere district of Hertfordshire.

It is a small settlement located near to the junction of the M25 motorway with the A403' target='_top'>1(M) motorway and is perhaps more widely known because of the service station at that junction which takes its name from the village, and for mountain biking routes in the area which start from the service station.

Before 403' target='_top'>1965’s creation of Greater London, it was part of Middlesex rather than Hertfordshire and, along with Potters Bar, was transferred to the latter county in that year.
Print-friendly version of this page