Norfolk Street, WC2R
Road in/near Aldwych, existed between 1678 and 1974
Print-friendly version of this page Aldwych is a closed station on the London Underground; formerly a branch line of the Piccadilly Line.
Norfolk Street ran from the Strand
in the north to the River Thames and, after the Victoria Embankment
was built (1865–1870), to what is now Temple Place
Norfolk Street was built on an area originally occupied by Arundel House
and its gardens. This was the property of the Howard family, Dukes of Norfolk. Norfolk Street and its neighbouring streets - Arundel Street
, Howard Street
and Surrey Street
- were all built after Arundel House
was demolished by the earl in 1678.
10 Norfolk Street was Hastings House, home to the Women Writers’ Club from 1894. The early literary agent A. P. Watt practised there. The Middle Classes Defence Organisation was also based in this building.
Oswaldestre House was at 33 Norfolk Street. The name refers to the another title of the Duke of Norfolk, Baron Oswaldestre. of the Dukes of Norfolk. Oswaldestre House was associated with radio technology. The Western Electric Company had an early radio station (2WP) in the building in 1922.
Former inhabitants of Norfolk Street included writers Percy Bysshe Shelley, Alfred Tennyson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Washington Irving. Peter the Great of Russia lived there in 1698.
Norfolk Street tube station was planned for the street in 1902, but never built.
Norfolk Street was demolished in order to build Arundel Great Court which was itself redeveloped after 2012.
Oswaldestre House, Norfolk Street.
Bedford Lemere and Company
It was opened in 1907 with the name Strand, after the street on which it is located, and was the terminus and only station on the short Piccadilly line branch from Holborn that was a relic of the merger of two railway schemes. The station building is close to the junction of Strand and Surrey Street, near Aldwych. During its lifetime, the branch was the subject of a number of unrealised extension proposals that would have seen the tunnels through the station extended southwards, usually to Waterloo.
Served by a shuttle train for most of their life and suffering from low passenger numbers, the station and branch were considered for closure several times. A weekday peak hours-only service survived until closure in 1994, when the cost of replacing the lifts was considered too high compared to the income generated.
Disused parts of the station and the running tunnels were used during both World Wars to shelter artworks from London's public galleries and museums from bombing.
The station has long been popular as a filming location and has appeared as itself and as other London Underground stations in a number of films. In recognition of its historical significance, the station is a Grade II listed building.