Albury Street, SE8
Road in/near Deptford, existing between 1706 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Deptford is named after a ford of the River Ravensbourne.
Albury Street was originally Union Street - a name commemorating the 1707 union of Scotland and England.
A local bricklayer, Thomas Lucas, built houses in Union Street homes from 1706 onwards. The north side of the street still has an original terrace of eighteenth century housing.
Buildings along the street were quite mixed to cater for all classes in this dockyard town - from naval officers to shipbuilders and labourers.
John Gast (1772-1837), author of radical pamphlets and dissenting preacher, lived in the King of Prussia pub.
The street was renamed as Creek Road
before it became Albury Street.
rsery pioneers the McMillan sisters held a Boys’ Night Camp at 24 Albury Street in the early twentieth century which provided poor children with the opportunity to wash and get clean nightclothes. The girls’ camp was held in Evelyn Street
Albury Street, formerly Union Street in Deptford (1906)
User unknown/public domain
Deptford began as two small communities - one at the ford on the Ravensbourne with the other being a fishing village on the Thames (called West Greenwich).
During the reign of Henry VIII, it became home to Deptford Dockyard (the first of the Royal Dockyards) which lasted until the lat Victorian era. They were the main administrative centre of the Royal Navy. Deptford had a long royal connection and gave birth to the legend of Sir Walter Raleigh laying down his cape for Queen Elizabeth I. Captain James Cook’s third voyage aboard Resolution set out from here. Deptford became a major shipbuilding faciliry and attracted Peter the Great of Russia to arrive incognito to study shipbuilding.
The two Deptford communities grew together and flourished. The area declined as first the Royal Navy moved out, and then the commercial docks themselves declined until the last dock, Convoys Wharf, closed in 2000.
Opened in 1836, Deptford station is the oldest railway station in London and was situated on the first London railway - the London and Greenwich Railway which opened its first section between Spa Road, Bermondsey and Deptford on 8 February 1836. The line was extended westwards to the new London Bridge Station on 14 December 1836 and eastwards to Greenwich on 24 December 1838.