Print-friendly version of this page New Southgate was formerly known as the hamlet of Betstile.
Albert Street was built as workers’ cottages.
The street was built in 1858 for workers at the adjacent gas works. Like many new Victorian streets, it was named for the royal couple.Licence:
Albert Street consisted of very basic terraced cottages with outside toilets. Of low build standards, it was reported that an occassional bucket was used to catch water which dripped in through the roof. It was built in the shadow of three huge gasholders.
The road disappeared in 1970s redevelopment.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Before 1815 most of the houses lay in Hertfordshire or Edmonton, apart from Betstile House on the corner of Friern Barnet
and Oakleigh roads, but by 1846 others stood north of the road, on the site of the former Friern great park, and the former Friern Little park in Oakleigh Road had been divided into plots with cottages. Since the mid 19th century Betstile has been better known as New Southgate.
The railway station was built in 1851 as Colney Hatch & New Southgate or Colney Hatch changed its name five times such as from New Southgate for Colney Hatch to New Southgate and Friern Barnet
on 1 May 1923; its current name dates to 1971.