Ferry Street is a road with a long history on the Isle of Dogs.
Ferry Street was reassembled from three constituent streets: the original Ferry Street, Wharf Road and Johnson Street.
Wharf Road was the section running parallel to the Thames. When the Millwall Extension Railway was run to an old station called North Greenwich, Wharf Road was cut into two. One part of Wharf Road (the future Ferry Street section) was connected to the remainder (the future Saunders Ness Road
) by a subway under the line allowing passengers from the rest of Wharf Road to reach the station.
Johnson Street ran north-south and was the address of the station. Johnson’s Draw Dock was in the street.
Ferry Street itself ran from the main road to the Greenwich Ferry which operated until 31 October 1902.
The Ferry House is a pub on Ferry Street has existed since 1722. The present building dates from 1822, and was used as a drinking establishment by ferry passengers to and from Greenwich until the opening of the Greenwich foot tunnel
There had been a ferry at this point since 1330 or before. It was known as the Popeler Ferry and then the Potter’s Ferry. The ferry transported people, horses and cattle and become a lucrative business whose rights were protected by legal statutes. Ferry Street led to it.