Deptford Ferry Road, E14

Road in/near Cubitt Town, existing between 1500 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.207.249.15 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Cubitt Town · E14 ·
October
14
2019

Deptford Ferry Road ran down to the Thames from West Ferry Road.

Deptford Ferry Road - view of Britannia Dock. Above the terraced houses the masts and yards of the barque Killoran can be seen under repair in Britannia Dry Dock in 1928.
Credit: Museum of London
By the 1500s, there was a ferry running from the Isle of Dogs to Deptford, with a road running down to it.

Deptford Ferry Road was squeezed between the Canadian Cooperage and the Britannia Dock - the latter was extensive used for maintenance and repairs of shipping.

After having been sawmills and a joiners’ shop, the Canadian Cooperage was the name for the works of the Guelph Patent Cask Company Ltd, comprising of a range of one- and two-storey buildings. They burned down in 1900 and were replaced by a cask store, warehouse and mill, made of corrugated-iron.

The few houses in the street were squeezed between industrial sites and had become slums by 1899.

Although plans for redevelopment drawn up in 1916 by Ironmongers’ surveyor George Hubbard, the First World War saw these put on hold.

Behind the houses, Totnes Cottages were demolished in 1936. Totnes Terrace (renamed Mast House Terrace) was destroyed by bombing in the Second World War.

21st century redevelopment has left only a stump of a street remaining.

xxx

Deptford Ferry Road - view of Britannia Dock. Above the terraced houses the masts and yards of the barque Killoran can be seen under repair in Britannia Dry Dock in 1928.
Museum of London


 

Cubitt Town




Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.