M1 motorway, NW4

Motorway in/near Hendon, existing between 1977 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.232.38.214 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Motorway · Hendon · NW4 ·
July
27
2018

The southernmost section of the M1 was built in 1977.

First opened in 1959, the M1 is one of Britain’s major motorways. It links London to the city of Leeds in West Yorkshire.

The London terminal of the M1 is at Staples Corner - named after the Staples Mattress Factory which stood at the junction from 1926 until 1986.

The final section of the M1 was opened to Junction 1 at Staples Corner in 1977.

The M1 motorway was planned to run all the way into Central London, The original M1 route would have gone through Cricklewood, past Kilburn and Maida Vale and through St John’s Wood. If the planners had had their way,the M1 motorway would have terminated just north of Marble Arch in the vicinity of Montague Square. The scheme was never fully realised and the motorway now terminates in the suburbs, approximately 6 miles from Marble Arch.

The layout of the Staples Corner junction was originally built in accordance with these plans although most of the London Ringways Plan had been cancelled by 1973.


Main source: Cabbie’s Curios: The Unfinished Motorway… | View fro
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Hendon

Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.

The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.
Print-friendly version of this page