Bilsby Lodge, HA9
Road maybe laid out between the wars with housing mainly dating from the 1960s
Print-friendly version of this page
A street within the HA9 postcode
TH=302 style='float:left; width=250px; margin-right:10px;'>Kingsbury station was opened on 10 December 1932 as part of the Stanmore branch of the Metropolitan Railway and served by that company’s electric trains.
After the formation of London Transport in 1933 this branch became part of the Metropolitan line and was later transferred to the Bakerloo line in 1939 then to the Jubilee line in 1979. The design style is similar to that of other Metropolitan Railway buildings of the same period rather than to the concrete and glass style used at the same time by the LER group.
In common with other nearby Metropolitan Railway stations (e.g. Harrow-on-the-Hill, Neasden, Queensbury) there is an element of fiction in the station name; the area is properly within the eastern extent of Kenton (Kingsbury
Road at this point was originally part of the eastern end of Kenton Lane) and Kingsbury
proper is actually closer to Neasden station.
Although now only served by deep-level tube trains, the section of line serving the station is built to surface gauge, and trains to that larger LU loading gauge occasionally pass through.