PO Box 14280, SE17

Road maybe built in the Edwardian era with housing mainly dating from the 2010s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.229.151.87 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
(City of London) Field Hospital (V) · (formerly Hillingdon Street) · - 184 Walworth Road · Albany Road · Alberta Estate · Alberta Street · Ambergate Street · Amelia Street · Andrews Walk · Asolando Drive · Aulton Place · Austral Street · Aveline Street · Balfour Street · Baytree Mews · Beckway Street · Bedroom house 8 min to West End/2 min to Tube · Berryfield Road · Blackwood Avenue · Blackwood Street · Bodley Way · Borrett Close · Boundary Lane · Boundary Lane · Bowden Street · Braganza Street · Brandon Estate · Brettell Street · Bricklayers Arms Flyover · Bricklayers Arms · Bronti Close · Brook Drive · Browning Estate · Burge Street · Burton Grove · Cadiz Street · Camberwell Road · Canal Street · Canterbury Place · Carter Place · Carter Street · Castlebrook Close · Catesby Street · Chapter Road · Chartist meeting · Chatham Street · Churchyard Row · Churchyard Row · Cleaver Square · Cleaver Street · Comus Place · Conwall Square Kennings Way · Cook’s Road · Cooks Road · Cotham Street · Courtenay Square · Crail Row · Crosslet Street · Dale Road · Dartford Street · Darwin Street · Date Street · De Laune Street · Dean’s Buildings · Delverton Road · Denny Crescent · Denny Street · Doddington Grove · Doddington Place · Draco Street · Dy · Dylways · Eastreet Street · Elephant & Castle (1910) · Elephant and Castle · Elephant and Castle · Elliott’s Row · Empress Street · Ethel Street · Farrell Court · Faunce Street · Fielding Street · Flat 2 Eastreet Street · Fleming Road · Forsyth Gardens · Frederick Road · Gateway · Gaza Street · Geraldine Street · Geraldine Street · Gilbert Road · Green Dale · Green Walk · Greig Terrace · Halpin Place · Harding Close · Harmsworth Street · Hayles Street · Hedger Street · Hemp Walk · Henry Dent Close · Henshaw Street · Heygate Street · Hillery Close · Hillingdon Street · Holyoak Road · Hopwood Road · Horsley Street · Howell Walk · Hunter Close · Huntsman Street · Iliffe Street · Iliffe Yard · Inville Road · John Crane Street · John Maurice Close · John Ruskin Street · John Ruskin Street · Kempsford Road · Kennedy Walk · Kennings Way · Kennington · Kennington Lane · Kennington Park · Kennington Park Gardens · Kennington Park Place · Kennington Park Road · Kiebs Way · King and Queen Street · Lamlash Street · Langdale Close · Laugan Walk · Laune Street · Little Apple · Lorrimore Road · Lorrimore Square · Loughborough Street · Lytham Street · Macleod Street · Maddock Way · Magee Street · Manor Place · Manor Place · Marlborough Close · Marnock House · Marsland Close · Martara Mews · Mason Close · Mason Street · Mason Street · Matara Mews · Merrow Walk · Methley Street · Michael Faraday House · Milverton Street · Montford Place · Morecambe Street · Munton Road · New Kent Road · Newington Industrial Estate · Nicholson House · Nightingale Mews · Northchurch · Oaka At The Mansion House · Occupation Road · Old Red Lion · Olney Road · Orb Street · Oswin Street · Otto Street · Pasley Close · Pastor Street · Peabody Estate · Peacock Street · Peacock Yard · Peacock Yd · Pelier Street · Penrose Grove · Penrose Street · Penton Place · Penton Place · Phelp Street · Phelps Street · Pilton Place · PO Box 14280 · PO Box 20421 · PO Box 20465 · PO Box 31801 · PO Box 31818 · PO Box 43412 · PO Box 51298 · PO Box 64476 · PO Box 64493 · PO Box 71312 · PO Box 71334 · PO Box 71336 · PO Box 71338 · PO Box 951 · Postal area SE17 · Postal zone SE17 3** · Pullens Buildings · Radcot Street · Ravensdon Street · Red Lion Close · Red Lion Row · Roland Way · Royal Road · Royal Road · Rutley Close · Saint Agnes Place · Saltwood Grove · Sayer Street · Searles Road · Sedan Way · Sedley House · Sharstead Street · Sharsted Street · Silk Mews · Slade Walk · Sondes Street · Spare Street · St Agnes Place · St Pauls Church · St. Agnes Place · St. Peters Church · Stead Street · Stopford Road · Sturgeon Road · Sutherland Square · Sutherland Walk · T Box · Tarver Road · The Black Prince · The Chaplin Centre · The Tommyfield · The White Bear · Theobald Street · Thrush Street · Thurlow Walk · Tisdall Place · Trafalgar House · Turquand Street · Victory Place · Villa Street · Wadding Street · Walcorde Avenue · Walnut Tree Place · Walworth · Walworth Place · Wansey Street · Wendover · Wesley Close · Westcott Road · Winchester Close · Windmill Row · Wooler Street · Worth Grove · Wynyard Terrace
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Kennington · SE11 ·
MAY
2
2019

A street within the SE17 postcode



VIEW THE KENNINGTON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENNINGTON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENNINGTON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENNINGTON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENNINGTON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kennington

Kennington was a royal manor in the ancient parish of St Mary, Lambeth in the county of Surrey and was the administrative centre of the parish from 1853.

The presence of a tumulus, and other significant geographical features locally, suggest that the area was regarded in ancient times as a sacred place of assembly. The manor of Kennington was divided from the manor of Vauxhall by the River Effra, a tributary of the River Thames. A smaller river, the River Neckinger, ran through the northern part of Kennington, approximately where Brook Drive is today. Both rivers have now been diverted into underground culverts.

Harthacnut, King of Denmark and England, died at Kennington in 1041. Harold Godwinson took the Crown the day after the death of Edward the Confessor at Kennington; he is said to have placed it upon his own head. King Henry III held his court here in 1231; and, according to Matthew Paris, in 1232, Parliament was held at Kennington.

Edward III gave the manor of Kennington to his oldest son Edward, the Black Prince in 1337, and the prince then built a large royal palace in the traingle formed by Kennington Lane, Sancroft Street and Cardigan Street, near to Kennington Cross. Geoffrey Chaucer was employed at Kennington as Clerk of Works in 1389 and was paid 2 shillings. The Duchy of Cornwall still maintains a substantial property portfolio within the area.

The eighteenth century saw considerable development in Kennington. At the start of the century, the area was essentially a village on the southern roads into London, with a common on which public executions took place. The development of Kennington came about through access to London, which happened when, in 1750, Westminster Bridge was constructed. In 1751, Kennington Road was built from Kennington Common (as it then was; now Kennington Park) to Westminster Bridge. Houses along it were soon built.

On 10 May 1768, at approximately the site of the Imperial War Museum today, the Massacre of St George's Fields took place. A riot started, because of the detention at the King's Bench Prison of the radical, John Wilkes – he had written an article in which he attacked King George III. The Riot Act was read, and soldiers fired into the crowd, killing seven people.

By the 1770s, the development of Kennington into its modern form was well underway. Terraces of houses were built on the east side of Kennington Road and Cleaver Square (then called Prince's Square) was laid out in 1788. In 1796, a house in West Square became the first station in the optical telegraph, or semaphore line, between the Admiralty in London, and Chatham and Deal in Kent, and during the Napoleonic Wars transmitted messages between Whitehall and the Royal Navy.

The modern street pattern of Kennington was formed by the early nineteenth century. The village had become a semi-rural suburb with grand terraced houses. In 1852, at the initiative of the minister of St. Mark's Church, the Common was enclosed and became the first public park in south London.

The Oval cricket ground was leased to Surrey County Cricket Club from the Duchy of Cornwall in 1845, and the adjacent gasometers (themselves an international sporting landmark) were constructed in 1853. Proximity to central London was key to the development of the area as a residential suburb and it was incorporated into the metropolitan area of London in 1855.

Dense building and the carving-up of large houses for multiple occupation caused Kennington to be very seriously over-populated in 1859, when diphtheria appeared (recorded by Karl Marx in 'Das Kapital').

Kennington station was opened as Kennington (New Street) in 1890 by the City of London and Southwark Subway.

On 15 October 1940, the large trench air-raid shelter beneath Kennington Park was struck by a 50lb bomb. The number of people killed remains unknown; it is believed by local historians that 104 people died. 48 bodies were recovered.

Lambeth Council designated much of Kennington a Conservation Area in 1968, the boundary of which was extended in 1979 and in 1997. Lambeth Council's emphasis on conserving and protecting Kennington's architectural heritage and enhancing its attractive open spaces for recreation and leisure is illustrated by restoration of the centre of the listed Cleaver Square in the last decade of the twentieth century.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, south east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.