Bishop’s Wood

Woodland/forest in/near Hampstead Garden Suburb, existing until 1905

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.214.184.250 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Woodland/forest · Hampstead Garden Suburb · N2 ·
July
4
2019

Together with Winnington Road, Ingram Avenue and the reknowned Bishop’s Avenue, the wood was named after Arthur Winnington-Ingram, who as Bishop of London owned much of the surrounding area following a land grant in 704 AD.


Bishop’s Wood, with one further to the north called Mutton Wood, and another to the west known as Wild Wood, was a portion of the great wood attached to the estate and castle of the Bishop of London, at Highgate.

In 1755 it was purchased by Lord Mansfield, and left as a wild copse, strictly preserved as a cover for game.

Most of the land was sold privately in the early 20th century.


Main source: Hampstead: Caen Wood and north end | British History Online
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Hampstead Garden Suburb

Hampstead Garden Suburb is a suburb, north of Hampstead, west of Highgate, and east of Golders Green. It is an example of early twentieth-century domestic architecture and town planning located in the London Borough of Barnet in northwest London.

The master plan was prepared by Barry Parker and Sir Raymond Unwin.
Print-friendly version of this page