Angel tube station is a London Underground station in The Angel, Islington. It is on the Bank branch of the Northern Line.
A street within the N1 postcode
Angel station was originally built by the City & South London Railway, and opened in 1901 as the northern terminus of a new extension from Moorgate
. It is one of five stations on the London Underground named after a public house – in this case the once-famous Angel inn, which dates back to at least 1638.
As with many other stations on the line, it was originally built with a single central island platform serving two tracks – an arrangement still seen at Clapham North and Clapham Common – and access from street level was via lifts.
For years, the station regularly suffered from congestion, overcrowding and genuine fear in passengers due to the very narrow island platform (barely 3.7 metres in width), which constituted a major safety issue.
Consequently, the station was comprehensively rebuilt, reopening in 1992.
The lifts and the ground level building originally on the corner of Torrens Street
and City Road
were closed and a new station entrance was opened around the corner in Islington High Street
. Because of the distance of the new entrance from the platforms, and their depth, two flights of escalators were required, aligned approximately at a right-angle. Angel station has the third-longest escalators in Western Europe (after Västra skogen in the Stockholm Metro and Kamppi station in the Helsinki Metro), with a vertical rise of 27 metres and a length of 60 metres.
The tube stop serves as a portal to several Off West End, or fringe theatre, venues, including Old Red Lion Theatre, The King's Head Theatre and Almeida Theatre. It is also the station for Chapel Market
, a London street market. Between Angel and Old Street
stations is the disused City Road