Middlesex Arms

Pub in/near South Mimms, existed between 1931 and 1973

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.204.176.125 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Pub · South Mimms · EN6 ·
October
3
2019

On the north side of Bignall’s Corner was the Middlesex Arms.

Middlesex Arms
Credit: Malcolm Graham
Bignalls Corner - now the site of South Mimms services - existed before the M25/A1(M) junction obliterated the scene.

On the junction was the Middlesex Arms. The pub had been built as a road house in 1931 but was demolished in 1973 to make way for the A1(M). Run by landlords Gordon and Hilda, there was lorry drivers’ overnight accommodation next to it. Drivers used to sleep in bunks four to a room.

The motel of the other side of the junction was a well known haunt for ‘ladies of the night’ who earned a living from the passing lorry drivers.

Further north up the A1 was the Budgie transport cafe, immortalised in the TV series of the same name. Also beside the A1 was the eventually abandoned and derelict ’San Marino’ which had a swimming pool in the back.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

Middlesex Arms
Malcolm Graham


 

South Mimms

South Mimms is a village in the Hertsmere district of Hertfordshire.

It is a small settlement located near to the junction of the M25 motorway with the A1(M) motorway and is perhaps more widely known because of the service station at that junction which takes its name from the village, and for mountain biking routes in the area which start from the service station.

Before 1965’s creation of Greater London, it was part of Middlesex rather than Hertfordshire and, along with Potters Bar, was transferred to the latter county in that year.
Print-friendly version of this page