Yeading

Suburb, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.234.228.78 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Suburb · Yeading · UB4 · Contributed by The Underground Map
September
13
2018
140 bus in Yeading, 1970s

Yeading was one of the final suburbs to develop in westernmost London.

The first land grant including Yeading was made by Offa in 790 to Æthelhard, Archbishop of Canterbury: in the place called on linga Haese around the stream called Fiscesburna (Crane or Yeading Brook).

Anglo-Saxon settlement in Yeading therefore seems probable, but the history of Yeading in subsequent centuries is not as clear as that of Hayes. Such details as the names of many Yeading manor holders remain unknown.

Yeading Dock was one of many docks built along the Grand Union Canal in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The main industry in Hayes and Yeading at this time was brickmaking, and the canal provided a reliable way of transporting larger numbers of bricks. Yeading’s brickworkers could be known to keep pigs as a second source of income. A bourgeois writer, one Elizabeth Hunt, wrote in 1861 that in Yeading dirt, ignorance and darkness reign supreme. In 1874, however, one James Thorne wrote that the inhabitants of Yeading were always found civil.

Yeading was still not developed by the 1920s.
Yeading Lane was often flooded, and access beyond Yeading to Northolt seems to have been by footpath only before the First World War. During the War, a properly constructed road was built linking the Great Western Railway station at Hayes with the L.N.E.R. line at Northolt. Yeading was still mainly a rural area.

After the Second World War, a large prefab estate was erected in Yeading. By 1956, Yeading’s Tilbury Square was still without gas and electricity, and oil stoves and open fires were still used; the public house The Willow Tree, reputedly some 400 years old (now demolished), was lit by three cylinders of calor gas. The Yeading Lane estate underwent largescale development in the late 1960s and ’70s.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



Add your own contribution to Yeading.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Yeading:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
VIEW THE YEADING AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE YEADING AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE YEADING AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE YEADING AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE YEADING AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Yeading

Yeading was one of the final suburbs to develop in westernmost London.

The first land grant including Yeading was made by Offa in 790 to Æthelhard, Archbishop of Canterbury: in the place called on linga Haese [Hayes] and Geddinges [Yeading] around the stream called Fiscesburna (Crane or Yeading Brook).

Anglo-Saxon settlement in Yeading therefore seems probable, but the history of Yeading in subsequent centuries is not as clear as that of Hayes. Such details as the names of many Yeading manor holders remain unknown.

Yeading Dock was one of many docks built along the Grand Union Canal in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The main industry in Hayes and Yeading at this time was brickmaking, and the canal provided a reliable way of transporting larger numbers of bricks. Yeading’s brickworkers could be known to keep pigs as a second source of income. A bourgeois writer, one Elizabeth Hunt, wrote in 1861 that in Yeading dirt, ignorance and darkness reign supreme. In 1874, however, one James Thorne wrote that the inhabitants of Yeading were always found civil.

Yeading was still not developed by the 1920s. Yeading Lane was often flooded, and access beyond Yeading to Northolt seems to have been by footpath only before the First World War. During the War, a properly constructed road was built linking the Great Western Railway station at Hayes with the L.N.E.R. line at Northolt. Yeading was still mainly a rural area.

After the Second World War, a large prefab estate was erected in Yeading. By 1956, Yeading’s Tilbury Square was still without gas and electricity, and oil stoves and open fires were still used; the public house The Willow Tree, reputedly some 400 years old (now demolished), was lit by three cylinders of calor gas. The Yeading Lane estate underwent largescale development in the late 1960s and ’70s.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Barnhill Community High School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Belmore Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Belmore Primary Academy:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Belvue Park:   
Belvue School:   Community special school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19.
Brookside:   
Brookside Primary School:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Downe Manor Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Gifford Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Limetrees Park Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Northolt & Greenford Country Park - Northala Fields:   
SKLP Sports and Community Centre:   
St Raphael’s Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
The Willows School:   Academy special converter which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Viking Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Yeading Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Yeading Infant and Nursery School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 7.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Acer Avenue, UB4 · Alba Close, UB4 · Apprentice Gardens, UB5 · Arcon Drive, UB5 · Arliss Way, UB5 · Arrowscout Walk, UB5 · Aspen Lane, UB5 · Attlee Road, UB4 · Attlee Road, UB5 · Avon Close, UB4 · Ballinger Way, UB5 · Bancroft Court, UB5 · Bankside Avenue, UB5 · Barn Close, UB5 · Barnard Gardens, UB4 · Barnhill Lane, UB4 · Barnhill Road, UB4 · Beauvais Terrace, UB5 · Berrydale Road, UB4 · Bevin Road, UB4 · Binstead Close, UB4 · Bittern Close, UB4 · Blandford Waye, UB4 · Bondfield Avenue, UB4 · Bournemead Avenue, UB5 · Bournemead Close, UB5 · Bower Close, UB5 · Brabazon Road, UB5 · Braunston Drive, UB4 · Brazier Crescent, UB5 · Brentford Close, UB4 · Brick Lane, UB5 · Britannia Close, UB5 · Brookside Road, UB4 · Broomcroft Avenue, UB5 · Brunel Close, UB5 · Burndell Way, UB4 · Burpham Close, UB4 · Byron Way, UB5 · Cambus Close, UB4 · Camden Avenue, UB4 · Canberra Drive, UB5 · Caravelle Gardens, UB5 · Carlyon Road, UB4 · Cerne Close, UB4 · Chatsworth Road, UB4 · Chirk Close, UB4 · Concord Close, UB5 · Corfe Close, UB4 · Cornelia Drive, UB4 · Cosgrove Close, UB4 · Cranborne Waye, UB4 · Crawford Gardens, UB5 · Curlew Way, UB4 · Cygnet Way, UB4 · Darris Close, UB4 · Dehavilland Close, UB5 · Delamere Road, UB4 · Delta Grove, UB5 · Dilston Close, UB5 · Ditchfield Road, UB4 · Dolphin Road, UB5 · Dorchester Waye, UB4 · Dorset Court, UB5 · Douglas Crescent, UB4 · Dove Close, UB5 · Down Way, UB5 · Dunedin Way, UB4 · Edmunds Close, UB4 · Edward Road, UB5 · Elm Tree Close, UB5 · Elystan Business Centre, UB4 · Errol Gardens, UB4 · Farrier Road, UB5 · Findhorn Avenue, UB4 · Friar Road, UB4 · Glencoe Road, UB4 · Glenorchy Close, UB4 · Grange Court, UB5 · Greenhill Gardens, UB5 · Gurney Road, UB5 · Harecastle Close, UB4 · Harries Road, UB4 · Hartfield Avenue, UB5 · Harvey Road, UB5 · Hastoe Close, UB4 · Hazelmere Walk, UB5 · Hazelmere Close, UB5 · Hazelmere Drive, UB5 · Hazelmere Road, UB5 · Hazelmere Walk, UB5 · Hazeltree Lane, UB5 · Helmsdale Close, UB4 · Henderson Road, UB4 · Henson Place, UB5 · Hobart Close, UB4 · Hobart Drive, UB4 · Hobart Lane, UB4 · Hobart Road, UB4 · Home Close, UB5 · Homefield Close, UB4 · Hornbeam Road, UB4 · Horseshoe Crescent, UB5 · Hotspur Road, UB5 · Hughenden Gardens, UB5 · Invicta Grove, UB5 · Javelin Way, UB5 · Jetstar Way, UB5 · Jollys Lane, UB4 · Keir Hardie Way, UB4 · Kennet Drive, UB4 · Kensington Road, UB5 · Kensington Road, UB6 · Kilpatrick Way, UB4 · Kingsash Drive, UB4 · Kingsash Drive, UB5 · Kingshill Avenue, UB4 · Kingshill Avenue, UB4 · Kittiwake Road, UB5 · Kittiwake Way, UB4 · Laing Dean, UB5 · Lamb Close, UB5 · Lapwing Way, UB4 · Larch Crescent, UB4 · Larch House, UB4 · Lauder Close, UB5 · Lochan Close, UB4 · Longford Close, UB4 · Longford Gardens, UB4 · Longhook Gardens, UB5 · Lothian Avenue, UB4 · Lulworth Waye, UB4 · Lynne Way, UB5 · Mandarin Way, UB4 · Maple Close, UB4 · Maple Road, UB4 · Maple Road, UB5 · Marian Close, UB4 · Marina Approach, UB4 · Marina West Quay Drive, UB4 · Marsworth Close, UB4 · Masefield Lane, UB4 · Maurier Close, UB5 · Meadow Close, UB5 · Merlin Close, UB5 · Minterne Waye, UB4 · Montcalm Close, UB4 · Morrison Road, UB4 · Nimrod Close, UB5 · Norcott Close, UB4 · Norwood Gardens, UB4 · Nutfield Gardens, UB5 · Old Bridge Close, UB5 · Old Ruislip Road, UB5 · Paddington Close, UB4 · Patching Way, UB4 · Pendula Drive, UB4 · Perth Avenue, UB4 · Pintail Way, UB4 · Plover Way, UB4 · Pump Close, UB5 · Quebec Road, UB4 · Rabournmead Drive, UB5 · Radcliffe Way, UB5 · Ramulis Drive, UB4 · Rayners Gardens, UB5 · Rectory Park Avenue, UB5 · Redman Close, UB5 · Reynolds Road, UB4 · Rodmell Close, UB4 · Rose Park Close, UB4 · Rowdell Road, UB5 · Rubens Road, UB5 · Ruislip Road, UB5 · Ruislip Road, UB5 · Rushdene Close, UB5 · Rushdene Crescent, UB5 · Rushdene Cresent, UB5 · Shadwell Drive, UB5 · Shaftesbury Waye, UB4 · Sharpness Close, UB4 · Sharvel Lane, UB4 · Sharvel Lane, UB5 · Shearwater Way, UB4 · Sherborne Close, UB4 · Sherwood Avenue, UB4 · Spoonbill Way, UB4 · Stipularis Drive, UB4 · Stratford Road, UB4 · Strone Way, UB4 · Sturminster Close, UB4 · Sullivan Close, UB4 · Swanage Waye, UB4 · Tangmere Gardens, UB5 · Taywood Road, UB5 · Telford Way, UB4 · Thorn Close, UB5 · Thorndike Avenue, UB5 · Towney Mead, UB5 · Townson Avenue, UB5 · Townson Way, UB5 · Trestis Close, UB4 · Trevor Close, UB5 · Triandra Way, UB4 · Union Road, UB5 · Valiant Close, UB5 · Vanbrough Crescent, UB5 · Vancouver Road, UB4 · Waterside Close, UB5 · Watery Lane, UB5 · Waxlow Way, UB5 · Wayfarer Road, UB5 · Welbeck Avenue, UB4 · Welbeck Court, UB4 · West End Gardens, UB5 · West Quay Drive, UB1 · West Quay Drive, UB4 · Westbourne Close, UB4 · Wheatsheaf Close, UB5 · Whimbrel Way, UB4 · White Hart, UB5 · Wigeon Way, UB4 · Willett Close, UB5 · Willow Tree Lane, UB4 · Wimborne Avenue, UB4 · Woburn Tower, UB5 · Yeading Court, UB4 · Yeading Fork, UB4 · Yeading Lane, UB4 · Yeading Lane, UB5 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.