Aerodrome Road, NW4
Road in/near Hendon, existing between 1924 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Aerodrome RoadHendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.
dates from the building of Hendon Way.
The original route into Hendon Aerodrome
was from Greyhound Hill
, from where spectators could get good views of the air displays.
In 1924, a number of new roads where built to alleviate growing traffic, Hendon Way being one which cut across Greyhound Hill
. Aerodrome Road
became the new way into the airfield.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.