Child’s Hill

Suburb, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.162.123.74 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Suburb · Child's Hill · NW11 · Contributed by The Underground Map
December
2
2017
Child’s Hill: Harrow in the Distance - (1825) Victoria & Albert Museum. The painting shows the view northwest along what is now Cricklewood Lane, with Harrow on the Hill visible beyond.
Credit: John Constable

Childs Hill, now a select area, was formerly reknowned for bricks and laundering.

It was the south-easternmost point of the ancient parish of Hendon. The settlement at Childs Hill is certainly medieval, possibly the 10th century settlement Codenhleawe (which has come down to us as Cowhouse), and was owned by Westminster Abbey.

Although a John Knot de Childes Hill is associated with the Peasants’ Revolt, the earliest known use of the place name Child’s Hill is 1593. The name is probably taken from a family of the same name who held land in Hendon in the 14th century. It has been suggested that the Castle Inn was a small Civil War (1642-49) gun emplacement guarding the Edgware Road. The first record of the Castle Inn however is 1751.

Child’s Hill was a centre for brick and tile making during the second half of the 18th century, supplying material for building Hampstead (which is to the east nearby), and run by a Samuel Morris. Being more than 259 ft above sea level (at the Castle Inn), Child’s Hill is visible for miles around. From 1808 to 1847 there was an optical telegraph station, one in a line from the Admiralty to Great Yarmouth. Only the name, Telegraph Hill, remains.

An Act of Parliament in 1826 allowed for the construction of the Finchley Road (completed by 1829) with a tollgate at the Castle Inn. In the early 1850s a Colonel Evans built houses in a field called The Mead (later renamed Granville Road). By the 1870s a number of laundries, servicing much of Victorian era West London, were established in The Mead. Clothes washed in London were thought to be susceptible to water borne disease, such cholera and typhoid, and Child’s Hill, then still in the countryside was supplied by a series of small streams coming off Hampstead Heath.

The population in the area was growing quickly. In 1856 a new church, All Saints’, was built (the third church in the parish of Hendon).

Further extensions were added between 1878 and 84, and in 1940 the church was so badly damaged by fire that it had to be substantially rebuilt in 1952. In 1884 the Pyramid Light Works, a candle manufactory, was established, the first factory in the Hendon area.

The opening of Child’s Hill Railway Station, now Cricklewood Station, in 1868 led to an increase in population, and the subsequent overcrowding reduced Child’s Hill into poverty, with cock-fighting, drunkenness, and vice.

Housing in 1903 was described as a disgrace to civilisation and in 1914 Hendon Urban District Council built its first council estate, with 50 houses.

In 1901 the land between Child’s Hill and Golders Green to the north was still farmland, but with the motorbuses (1906), the tube at Golders Green (1907), the trams (1909), and finally The Hendon Way (1927) farmland succumbed to suburbia, and the distinction between Golders Green and Child’s Hill was blurred. For entertainment Child’s Hill had The Regal in the Finchley Road (1929), which was first a skating rink then a cinema then a bowling alley. In the early 1960s many of the small Victorian houses in the Mead and around the Castle Inn were demolished.

----

A district on both sides of the Hendon-Hampstead border,  Childs Hill took its name from Richard le Child, who in 1312 held a customary house and 30 a., probably on the Hendon side. A similar estate was held at the same time by Richard Blakett, who gave his name to Blacketts well, which in 1632 was one of the boundary markers in the area and in 1801-2 was disputed in ownership. By the mid 18th century the Hampstead part of Childs Hill was divided in two by the road later called Platt’s Lane, which ran from West End and Fortune Green to the heath, Hampstead town, and Hendon. It was entirely occupied by two estates, both of which may have originated as land of the Templars. A farmhouse on the edge of the heath in the north part of the larger estate had apparently become detached from the farmland before 1811, when it was enlarged by Thomas Platt as a ’pleasing and unostentatious’ brick house set in well wooded grounds.
The arrival of the Finchley road lessened the area’s isolation. A house called Temple Park was built on the smaller Temples estate probably in the 1830s by Henry Weech Burgess, a prosperous Lancastrian. About the same time farm buildings were erected on Platt’s estate fronting Platt’s Lane. In 1843, on the western portion of Childs Hill estate, T. Howard built Kidderpore Hall, a stuccoed Greek revival house with a slightly projecting colonnade, side pediments, and a semicircular bay, for John Teil, an East India merchant with tanneries in the district of Calcutta from which the house took its name. The grounds became a private park and two lodges were added, one on the Finchley road in 1849, the other on Platt’s Lane in the late 1860s. On a field of Platt’s estate which jutted westward south of Teil’s estate, four houses fronting Finchley Road were built in the 1840s in the district called New West End. By 1870 the farm buildings at Platt’s Lane had been replaced by a house. Two cottages were built in Platt’s Lane by P. Bell of West End in 1875 and 13 houses, mostly by George Pritchard, between 1884 and 1886.
Some 9 and a half acres of Henry Weech Burgess’s estate had become a brickfield by 1864 and Temple Park had become the Anglo-French College by 1873. A few houses had been built in what became Burgess Hill by 1878 and in 1880 Weech Road was constructed between Fortune Green Road and Finchley Road on the portion of Teil’s estate purchased by the Burgesses in 1855. Four houses were built there in 1880 and another 12 in 1887 by A. R. Amer and Becket. In 1886 there was building at the AngloFrench college. In 1890 Kidderpore Hall was acquired by Westfield College, which made considerable additions to it in 1904-5, and the rest of the estate given over to the builders. Building, mostly of detached or semi-detached houses fronting Platt’s Lane, Finchley Road, Kidderpore Avenue, and Cecilia Road (later Kidderpore Gardens), was complete by 1913. C. F. A. Voysey designed Annesley Lodge, no. 8 Platt’s Lane, an L-shaped, roughcast house with sloping buttresses, ’astonishingly ahead of its date’, for his father in 1896 on the corner with Kidderpore Avenue. Next to no. 14 Kidderpore Avenue, built in 1901 by the artist George Swinstead, was St. Luke’s church, designed by Basil Champneys in 1898. At the southern end of the road was no. 4, built in 1900 in a highly decorated Tudor style.
In 1886 Joseph Hoare, son of Samuel and brother of John Gurney Hoare, died after living for some 40 years at Childs Hill House, to which he added a storey. Although not pulled down until c. 1904, Childs Hill House was empty by c. 1897 when building began on the estate. Between 1897 and 1913 Ferncroft, Hollycroft, and Rosecroft avenues were laid out and mostly semi-detached houses were built by George Hart. There were also several detached houses designed by C. H. B. Quennell, nos. 7 and 20 Rosecroft Avenue, designed in 1898, and Phyllis Court, no. 22, designed in 1905. Quennell designed several houses on the neighbouring demesne estate and Sir Guy Dawber, one of the architects of the nearby Hampstead Garden Suburb, was responsible for no. 46 Hollycroft Avenue, built in 1907. At much the same time building was proceeding on the Burgess Park (Temples) estate: the same builder, George Hart, was responsible for Briardale Road and Clorane Gardens, where the houses were built between 1900 and 1910. In 1905 on the Burgess Park estate 18 houses were built in Finchley Road, possibly including nos. 601 and 603 designed by Voysey, and by 1913 building was complete in Burgess Hill, Ardwick Road, and Weech Road and two houses had been built in Ranulf Road. In 1901 a small piece on the western side of the Burgess Park estate was added to the cemetery. A few years before, two houses had been built in Fortune Green Road on the estate facing the cemetery by undertakers. One, no. 128, noted for its Graeco-Egyptian stucco pastiche, survived. All Souls Unitarian church was built to the south at the junction with Weech Road in 1903 and Burgess Park Mansions to the north about the same time.
The cemetery did not blight development to the north and east as it had to the south and west, possibly because building north and east was necessarily later. Whereas in the 19th century proximity to cemeteries was disliked, by the 20th the open space in a built-up district was regarded as an asset. The whole of the Childs Hill area was classed in 1930 as middle-class and wealthy. There was building on all sites by the opening of the First World War and the only development between the wars was in Ranulf Road, where 13 houses were built by 1920 and the rest by 1930, at Westfield College to which additions were made in 1920-3, and at the corner of Fortune Green and Weech roads, where a block of flats, Weech Hall, replaced the Unitarian chapel in 1937.

During the Second World War bombing destroyed several houses on the Burgess Park estate, including some in Ardwick Road and two of Voysey’s houses, nos. 601 and 603 Finchley Road, which were replaced by houses designed by R. Seifert. A new block was added to Westfield College in 1962 but from 1945 until the 1980s Childs Hill remained essentially unchanged. Inhabitants have included Thomas Masaryk, later first president of Czechoslovakia, at no. 21 Platt’s Lane during the First World War, Leslie Brooke (d. 1940), the illustrator and father of Hampstead’s M.P. Henry, at no. 28 Hollycroft Avenue, and Jonas Wolfe, cinema pioneer, at no. 4 Kidderpore Avenue during the 1940s. The musical Craxton family owned no. 14 Kidderpore Avenue from 1945 and during the 1960s James Gunn (d. 1965), the portrait painter, lived at no. 7 Kidderpore Avenue.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



Add your own contribution to Child’s Hill.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Child’s Hill:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton   
Added: 17 Nov 2017 22:50 GMT   
IP: 94.3.120.166
2:1:970
Post by Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton: Netherwood Street, NW6

I was born at 63netherwood street.need to know who else lived there.i think I moved out because of a fire but not sure


LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 21 Jul 2018 00:30 GMT   
IP:
3:2:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Evening update: Fallen tree causing more chaos than usual on railways

The final journey home for many this week may not be as smooth as you hoped with problems on the roads and railways


http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/16368696.evening-update-thameslink-services-disrupted-and-traffic-on-m25/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Jul 2018 15:27 GMT   
IP:
3:3:970
Post by LDNnews: Aldwych
Treherne House
Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century,

http://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=2411

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 20 Jul 2018 00:20 GMT   
IP:
3:4:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Council pension accounts could be late due to outsourcing issues

The council could miss submitting its audited pension accounts by the official deadline due to outsourcing problems.


http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/16365351.barnet-council-pensions-accounts-delayed/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Jul 2018 20:40 GMT   
IP:
3:5:970
Post by LDNnews: Finchley Road
How to watch International Champions Cup 2018: TV coverage schedule in full
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham will be able to test themselves against the best that Europe has to offer this summer in the 2018 International Champions Cup.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/how-to-watch-international-champions-cup-2018-tv-coverage-full-schedule-a3890996.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Jul 2018 10:00 GMT   
IP:
3:6:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Transfer news, rumours live: Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool latest as Chelsea hold Daniele Rugani talks
Welcome to the Evening Standard’s coverage of the summer transfer window.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news-rumours-live-arsenal-manchester-united-and-liverpool-latest-as-chelsea-hold-daniele-a3890841.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Jul 2018 00:20 GMT   
IP:
3:7:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Matt Haig’s new book offers advice on how to stay sane in a mad world
Rates of stress and anxiety are rising. A fast, nervous planet is creating fast and nervous lives. We are more connected, yet feel more alone. And we are encouraged to worry about everything from world politics to our body mass index. How can we stay sane on a planet that makes us mad? How do we stay human in a technological world? How do we feel happy when we are encouraged to be anxious? After experiencing years of anxiety and panic attacks, these questions became urgent matters of life and death for Matt Haig. And he began to look for the link between what he felt and the world around him.


Message truncated
Show whole message

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 17 Jul 2018 23:20 GMT   
IP:
3:8:970
Post by LDNnews: Finchley Road
Felipe Anderson to bring 'new dimension' to West Ham play as Manuel Pellegrini thanks owners for backing
Manuel Pellegrini expects club-record signing Felipe Anderson to "bring a new dimension" to West Ham.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/felipe-anderson-to-bring-new-dimension-to-west-ham-play-as-manuel-pellegrini-thanks-owners-for-a3889206.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 17 Jul 2018 10:00 GMT   
IP:
3:9:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Wilfried Zaha leaves Crystal Palace's pre-season tour to deal with 'family matter'
Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha has returned home from the club’s pre-season tour of Denmark and Sweden "to deal with a family matter".

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/crystal-palace-star-wilfried-zaha-leaves-preseason-tour-to-deal-with-family-matter-a3888761.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 16 Jul 2018 11:30 GMT   
IP:
3:10:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
As the curtain comes down on World Cup 2018, with France fans set to celebrate long into the night , what legacy, if any, will leave in Russia?
As the curtain comes down on World Cup 2018, with France fans set to celebrate long into the night , what legacy, if any, will leave in Russia?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/i-never-expected-it-to-be-so-beautiful-how-russia-helped-halt-russophobia-at-world-cup-2018-a3887581.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 15 Jul 2018 11:00 GMT   
IP:
3:11:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Everton win 22-0 as four Toffees players score hat-tricks in huge pre-season win vs ATV Irdning
Whatever Marco Silva achieves at Everton, a 22-0 win is going to be hard to top.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/everton-win-22-0-four-toffees-players-score-hat-tricks-huge-preseason-win-vs-atv-irdning-a3887426.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 14 Jul 2018 12:30 GMT   
IP:
3:12:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
England team news: Gareth Southgate to put trust in youngsters for Belgium World Cup match ahead of Euro 2020 challenge
World Cup LIVE | Team news and build-up ahead of England vs Belgium

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/england-team-news-gareth-southgate-to-put-trust-in-youngsters-for-beglium-world-cup-match-ahead-of-a3886866.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 13 Jul 2018 12:00 GMT   
IP:
3:13:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
World Cup Golden Boot 2018: Harry Kane desperate to play for England against Belgium and finish top scorer
World Cup 2018 LIVE | Latest news and build-up to England vs Belgium

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/world-cup-golden-boot-2018-harry-kane-desperate-to-play-for-england-against-belgium-and-finish-top-a3886716.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 12 Jul 2018 12:00 GMT   
IP:
3:14:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
World Cup 3rd place playoff 2018: When is England vs Belgium? What TV channel is it on? Everything you need to know
The penultimate World Cup fixture will take place on Saturday afternoon

https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/world-cup-3rd-place-playoff-2018-when-is-england-vs-belgium-what-tv-channel-is-it-on-everything-you-a3885596.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 11 Jul 2018 00:20 GMT   
IP:
3:15:970
Post by LDNnews: Brent Cross
Brent Cross CPO appeal rejected
Barnet Council has welcomed a ruling by the High Court that the Brent Cross Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) can proceed.

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/16342946.brent-cross-cpo-appeal-rejected/?ref=rss

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 10 Jul 2018 23:00 GMT   
IP:
3:16:970
Post by LDNnews: Finchley Road
Manchester City seal Riyad Mahrez transfer from Leicester City
Riyad Mahrez has completed his transfer to Premier League champions Manchester City.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-city-seal-riyad-mahrez-transfer-from-leicester-city-a3884196.html

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHILD'S HILL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 Read blog
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.

The Underground Map

The Underground Map is a project which is creating a history website for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

There are now over 23 000 articles on all variety of locations including amongst others, roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - use the Google Map control to change to a particular decade.The Underground Map project is creating a decade-by-decade series of historical maps of the area which lies within London's M25 ring.

From the 1800s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Alice House:   What is now the Alice House has been through a number of incarnations since it was built in the early 1900s.
Avenue Farm:   Cowhouse Farm was linked to Hodford Farm in Golders Green for a long period. As Cricklewood suburbanised, the farm became surrounded by housing.
Beckford Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Beckford's Estate:   Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.
Canterbury House:   In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.
Cedars:   A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.
Childs Hill Park:   
Cholmley Lodge:   Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813.
Cock and Hoop:   The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723.
Earlsfields:   Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields.
Emmanuel Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Flitcroft Estate:   Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.
Golders Green:   Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green crossroads:   The name Golders Green apparently derives from that of a local family, the Goodyers, and was first recorded in 1612. The hamlet of Golders Green originated as a group of cottages on waste ground on each side of the main road. In 1754, manorial waste at Golders Green stretched for some distance on either side of the main road from Hampstead.
Golders Green crossroads:   Golders Green crossroads was formed when the new Finchley Road crossed North End Road in the 1830s.
Golders Green Hippodrome:   The Golders Green Hippodrome, was opened in 1913. Built next to Golders Green station, it was built as a 3000 seat music hall by Bertie Crewe.
Golders Hill School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 7. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Golders Lodge:   The villas in their wooded grounds, which gave Golders Green its special character, disappeared rapidly with the growth of suburban housing after the extension of the Underground; they included Alba Lodge, Gloucester Lodge, the Oaks, and Grove House.
Hackney College:   The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary.
Hillfield:   By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records.
Hodford Farm:   The Hodford and Cowhouse estate consisted of a compact block of lands stretching from the Hampstead border to a point north of Golders Green station and from Cricklewood to Golders Hill.
Ionic Cinema:   The Ionic Cinema was built in the early days of Golders Green's suburban development.
Lauriston Lodge:   Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.
National School:   A National School was established in West End during 1844.
New West End:   New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road.
Poplar House:   Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter.
Potter's Iron Foundry:   In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.
Rimon Jewish Primary School:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Ripley House:   Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge.
Saint Alban's church:   The church of St Alban, Golders Green, was built as a chapel-of-ease to All Saints’, Childs Hill, in 1910. It became the centre of a new parish taken from that of All Saints in 1922.
Sandwell House:   Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.
St Luke’s Church of England Primary:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St Margaret’s School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 16.
Temple Park:   Temple Park is one of the smaller suburbs of north London.
The Black Lion:   The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house.
The Oaks:   The Oaks was a large house situated on North End Road (later Golders Green Road)
The Wet Fish Cafe:   The Wet Fish Café is an Art Deco classic at 242 West End Lane.
Thorplands:   Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.
West Cottages, NW6:   Cottages in London NW6.
West End Green:   West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.
West End Hall:   West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead).
West End Sidings Estate:   The West End Sidings Estate takes its name from the former West End railway sidings running along the Midland Railway.
West Hampstead Police Station:   The Metropolitam Police established itself in West Hampstead during the 1880s.
West Hampstead Synagogue:   The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.
Woodbine Cottage:   Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Golders Green, looking south (1905):   This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place.
Looking towards Temple Fortune (1905):   This image shows the arrival of street lamps on the hill leading up to Temple Fortune from Golders Green.
Mill Lane, looking east (1900s):   Mill Lane is one of the major thoroughfares of West Hampstead.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Accommodation Road, NW11 · Achilles Road, NW6 · Agamemnon Road, NW6 · Ajax Road, NW6 · Aldred Road, NW6 · Ardwick Road, NW2 · Armitage Road, NW11 · Avenue Mansions, NW3 · Basing Hill, NW11 · Beaumont Gardens, NW3 · Beechcroft Avenue, NW11 · Beechworth Close, NW3 · Bentley Drive, NW2 · Berridge Mews, NW6 · Brassey Road, NW6 · Briardale Gardens, NW3 · Broadwalk Lane, NW11 · Broomsleigh Street, NW6 · Burgess Hill, NW2 · Burrard Road, NW3 · Burrard Road, NW6 · Candle Court Nursing Home, NW2 · Cannon Hill, NW3 · Cannon Hill, NW6 · Carlton Close, NW3 · Carlton Mews, NW6 · Cenacle Close, NW3 · Childs Hill Walk, NW2 · Cholmley Gardens, NW6 · Church Walk, NW2 · Cloister Road, NW2 · Corringham Court, NW11 · Corringham Road, NW11 · Crewys Road, NW2 · Croft Way, NW3 · Croftway, NW3 · Dennington Park Road, NW6 · Devonshire Place, NW2 · Dornfell Street, NW6 · Dunstan Road, NW11 · Dunstan Road, NW2 · Eden Close, NW3 · Elm Terrace, NW2 · Elm Terrace, NW3 · Elm Walk, NW3 · Elmcroft Avenue, NW11 · Etrona Buildings, NW2 · Ferncroft Avenue, NW3 · Finchley Road, NW11 · Finchley Road, NW2 · Fortune Green Road, NW3 · Fortune Green Road, NW6 · Gainsborough Gardens, NW11 · Garth Road, NW2 · Glastonbury Street, NW6 · Glenbrook Road, NW6 · Gloucester Gardens, NW11 · Golders Green Crescent, NW11 · Golders Green Cresent, NW11 · Golders Green Road, NW11 · Golders Green, NW11 · Golders Park Close, NW11 · Golders Way, NW11 · Gondar Gardens, NW6 · Granville Road, NW2 · Harvard Court, NW6 · Heath Drive, NW3 · Heathway Court, NW3 · Helenslea Avenue, NW11 · Hermitage Lane, NW2 · Hillfield Road, NW6 · Hocroft Avenue, NW2 · Hocroft Road, NW2 · Hocroft Walk, NW2 · Hodford Road, NW11 · Hollycroft Avenue, NW3 · Holmdale Road, NW6 · Honeybourne Road, NW6 · Hoop Lane, NW11 · Ingham Road, NW3 · Ingham Road, NW6 · Inglewood House, NW6 · Inglewood Road, NW6 · Kidderpore Avenue, NW3 · Kidderpore Gardens, NW3 · Kingdon Road, NW6 · Llanelly Road, NW2 · Llanvanor Road, NW11 · Llanvanor Road, NW2 · Lyncroft Gardens, NW6 · Lyndale Avenue, NW2 · Lyndale, NW2 · Madoc Close, NW2 · Marlborough Mansions, NW6 · Middleton Road, NW11 · Mill Lane, NW6 · Nant Road, NW2 · Narcissus Road, NW6 · Norman Terrace, NW6 · Orestes Mews, NW6 · Pandora Road, NW6 · Parsifal Road, NW3 · Parsifal Road, NW6 · Pattison Road, NW2 · Platt’s Lane, NW2 · Platt’s Lane, NW3 · Platts Lane, NW3 · Powis Gardens, NW11 · Prospect Place, NW2 · Prospect Road, NW2 · Ranulf Road, NW2 · Ravenscroft Avenue, NW11 · Ravenshaw Street, NW6 · Ridge Road, NW2 · Rodborough Road, NW11 · Rose Joan Mews, NW6 · Rosecroft Avenue, NW3 · Rotherwick Road, NW11 · Saint Albans Close, NW11 · Saint Albans Lane, NW11 · Salmon Mews, NW6 · Sandwell Crescent, NW6 · Sarre Road, NW2 · Solent Road, NW6 · St Albans Lane, NW11 · St Albans Vestry, NW11 · Station Forecourt, NW11 · Studholme Court, NW3 · Sumatra Road, NW6 · Sunnyside, NW2 · Telegraph Hill, NW3 · The Mansions, NW6 · The Ridgeway, NW11 · The Riding, NW11 · Ulysses Place, E20 · Ulysses Road, NW6 · Vale Rise, NW11 · Vernon Court, NW2 · Wayne Kirkum Way, NW6 · Weech Road, NW6 · Welbeck Mansions, NW6 · West Cottages, NW6 · West Heath Avenue, NW11 · West Heath Avenue, NW3 · West Heath Close, NW3 · West Heath Court, NW11 · West Heath Drive, NW11 · West Heath Gardens, NW2 · West Heath Gardens, NW3 · West Heath Road, NW3 · Westover Hill, NW3 · White Lodge, NW11 · Woodstock Road, NW11 · Wycombe Gardens, NW11 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

What is Child’s Hill like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Golders Green
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.