Rowley Green Common

Nature reserve in/near High Barnet, existing between 1991 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.208.66 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Nature reserve · High Barnet · EN5 ·
MAY
17
2018

Rowley Green Common is a six hectare Local Nature Reserve and a Site of Importance Metropolitan for Nature Conservation.


It is owned by the London Borough of Barnet and is also registered common land.

It is mainly woodland and heathland, although the most important habitat is the peat bog, one of very few left in London. This hosts star sedge, which is rare in London. The site has hedges at least three hundred years old, and a large pond is also of botanical interest.

It was once part of Shenleybury Manor in the parish of Shenley, Hertfordshire. The site has a long history of use. Gravel was once dug on it and this led to the formation of ponds and bog hollows. Cattle were grazed on it until the 1940s and the army used it for manoeuvres during the Second World War.

Rowley Green was obtained as public open space in 1934 when Barnet Urban District Council bought the land from the Lord of the Manor. It was declared a Local Nature Reserve by the London Borough of Barnet in 1991, the first site in the borough to gain this status.

Access is from Rowley Lane, next to Rowley Green Farm.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx



 

High Barnet

High Barnet is the name of the terminus of the Northern Line but is actually within the original Barnet - Chipping Barnet.

High Barnet station, though planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway), was originally opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over). It was the terminus of a branch line that ran from Highgate and was built over the original site of the Barnet Fair.

The High Barnet branch was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940.

The area was the site of the Battle of Barnet in 1471, where Yorkist troops led by King Edward IV killed the rebellious "Kingmaker" Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Warwick’s brother, John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu.
Print-friendly version of this page