Windsor Road, N17

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
08b · 68 · 70 · 78 · 81 · 85 · 92 · Albion Road · Ambitious College · Ambleside Close · Angelica Court · Antill Road · Armadale Close · Arnold Road · Arnold Road · Ashby Road · Ashley Road · Ashmount Road · Asplins Road · Baronet Road · Bathurst Square · Beaconsfield Road · Bedford Road · Belton Road · Bernard Road · Bernie Grant Arts Centre · Birkbeck Road · Blenheim Rise · Bream Close · Broad Lane · Bruce Castle · Bruce Castle Park · Bruce Castle Road · Bruce Grove · Buller Road · Burbridge Way · Burdock Road · Burlington Road · Bushmead Close · Butterfly Court · Carbuncle Passage · Carew Road · Cedar Road · Chalgrove Road · Champa Close · Chandos Road · Chesnut Grove · Chesnut Road · Clyde Circus · Clyde Road · Coleraine Works · Colless Road · Collingwood Road · Colsterworth Road · Constable Crescent · Constable Cresent · Copperfield Drive · Court · Crocodile Bar · Cromer Road · Cromer Terrace · Cunningham Road · Daneland Walk · Dawlish Road · Denmark Street · Devon Close · Down Lane Park · Dowsett Road · Drapers Road · Duffield Drive · Earlsmead Road · Eleanor Close · Elizabeth Clyde Close · Elizabeth Place · Elsden Mews · Elsden Road · Enterprise Row · Erskine Crescent · Eve Road · Factory Lane · Fairbanks Road · Felixstowe Road · Fenman Court · Ferry Lane · Ferry Lane · Forest Gardens · Forest Road · Fountayne Road · Foyle Road · Fw · Fx · Gascoigne Close · Glendish Road · Greenway Close · Grove Park Road · Hale Gardens · Hale Road · Hale Wharf · Hamilton Close · Hampden Lane · Hanbury Road · Handsworth Road · Hanover Road · Harold Road · Harpers Yard · Havelock Road · Herbert Road · High Cross Road · High Road · Holcombe Road · Hollington Road · Imperail Works · Imperial Works · Industry · Jansons Road · Jarrow Road · Kemble Road · Kenmare Drive · Kessock Close · Kimberley Road · Ladysmith Road · Lawrence Close · Lawrence Road · Lebus Street · Leeside Trading Estate · Linley Road · Lockwood Ind Park · Loobert Road · Mafeking Road · Mansfield Avenue · MARIGOLD ROAD · Markfield Park · Markfield Recreation Ground · Markfield Road · Mill Mead Road · Millmead Business Centre Millmead Road · Millmead Road · Mitchley Road · Montague Road · Monument Way · Monument Way · Moorfield Road · Mowlem Trading Estate · Nelson Road · Newlyn Road · Newton Road · Nicholson Court · Norman Road · Page Green Road · Page Green Terrace · Park View Road · Parkhurst Road · Pelham Road · Pembroke Road · Pembury Drive · Philip Lane · Philip Lane · Place · PO Box 35918 · Portland Place · Portland Road · Postal area N17 · Postal zone N15 4** · Postal zone N17 9** · Poynton Road · Prospect Place · Pymmes Close · Radley Road · Rainbow Works · Rainbow Works21 · Rangemoor Road · Raycroft Close · Rear of 204 · Reed Road · Reedham Close · Reform Row · Romney Close · Rosebay Drive · Rosebery Avenue · Rosebery Ind Park · Rox House · Runcorn Close · Saint Paul’s Road · Saltram Close · Scales Road · Scotland Green · Seven Sisters · Seymour Avenue · Shanklin Road · Sheringham Avenue · Sherringham Avenue · Siddons Road · Somerset Road · South Side · Spencer Road · Sperling Road · Spondon Road · Springfield Road · St Mary’s Close · St. Loy’s Road · Stainby Road · Stamford Close · Stamford Road · Stamforoad Road · Station Road · Steele Road · Stirling Road · Stonebridge Centre · Stoneleigh Road · Stonemasons Close · Stowe Place · STYX · Summerhill Road · Sutherland Road · Talbot Close · Talbot Road · Tamar Way · Tenby Close · Tent City · Tent City · Thackeray Avenue · The Beehive P.H · The Blue Bar · The Hale · The High Cross Centre · The Paddock Community Nature Park · The Ship · The Two Brewers · The Volunteer · Tilson Road · Tottenham Conservative Club · Tottenham Green · Tottenham Green Centre · Tottenham Green East · Tottenham Green Eastreet · Tottenham Hale Retail Park · Tottenham High Road · Tottenham Marshes · Town Hall Approach Road · Tynemouth Road · Tynemouth Terrace · Ventnor Terrace · Victoria Road · View Flats · Wakefield Road · Walton Road · Watermead Way · Whitbread Close · Willoughby Lane Industrial Estate · Windrush Close · Windsor Road · Winns Mews · Woodside Gardens · Wycombe Road · Yarmouth Crescent · Yarmouth Crescent
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Seven Sisters · N17 ·

A street within the N9087' target='_top'>17 postcode

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters’s name is derived from seven elms which were planted in a circle with a walnut tree at their centre on an area of common land known as Page Green.

In his early seventeenth-century work, Brief Description of Tottenham, local vicar and historian William Bedwell singled out the Page Green walnut tree for particular mention. He wrote of it as a local ’arboreal wonder’ which ’flourished without growing bigger’. He described it as popularly associated with the burning of an unknown Protestant. There is also speculation that the tree was ancient, possibly going back as far as Roman times, perhaps standing in a sacred grove or pagan place of worship.

The walnut vanished at some point, leaving the circle of elms. These were first recorded as the Seven Sisters in 1732.

The location of the seven trees can be tracked through a series of maps from 1619 on. From 1619 they are shown in a position which today corresponds with the western tip of Page Green at the junction of Broad Lane and the High Road. With urbanisation radically changing the area, the ’Seven Sisters’ had been replanted by 1876, still on Page Green, but further to the east. Contemporary maps show them remaining in this new location until 1955.

The trees formed a well-known landmark. So much so that a new thoroughfare connecting Tottenham to Camden Town in 1840 was named Seven Sisters Road.

In 1852, the originals were in a sorry state and new trees were planted by the seven daughters of a Mr J McRae. These elms lasted just 20 years, when a newspaper described "six venerable and withered trunks" (perhaps the stumps of the originals were still hanging around). A new circle was planted on 2 March 1886 when local siblings called Rosa, Alice, Amy, Edith, Julia, Georgina and Matilda Hibbert — the only family in Tottenham to contain seven sisters and no brothers — did the honours.

Over the years, the sisters returned to view their handiwork. Matilda’s was the only one that wouldn’t take. According to a later interview, the sister "pointed to her withered tree and said, ’I’m the doomed one’". Alas, her premonition came true. Mathilda passed away in 1900. Her six siblings lived on, regrouping at the elms each year. Five trees had died by 1928 when three of the surviving Hibberts were recommissioned to "make good the deficiency". The six sisters continued their reunion until at least 1937, bringing the original commemorative brooches and spades used in 1886. One of these spades can still be seen at the Bruce Castle Museum in Tottenham.

*L1491308014L*Further plantings took place in 1955, courtesy of sisters named Basten. Perhaps because elms had proven too fragile for the ground, this iteration opted for Italian polar, and the trees were planted in two clumps rather than a ring. The most recent ceremony drew on the digging skills of five local families, all blessed with seven sisters. This time hornbeams were chosen. The still-standing ring was installed at the centre of Page Green in 1996. You can view it today, although there’s no obvious plaque or information board recalling the centuries-old tradition.

The current ring of hornbeam trees was planted in 1997 in a ceremony led by five families of seven sisters.

Seven Sisters station was constructed by the Great Eastern Railway on its Stoke Newington & Edmonton Railway line and opened on 22 July 1872. On 1 January 1878, the GER opened a branch line, the Palace Gates Line, from Seven Sisters station to Noel Park and later that year to Palace Gates (Wood Green) station.

The first section of the Victoria line opened on 1 September 1968 serving Seven Sisters, although a shared entrance and interchange facilities with the surface station were not opened until December 1968. The original GER entrance to the station was situated in West Green Road at the north end of the surface station, but the new combined entrance was opened in Seven Sisters Road at the south end on the site of a former wood merchants yard, connecting to the west end of the Victoria line platforms. The original (1872) entrance was closed at that time.

The section of Victoria line between Seven Sisters and Finsbury Park stations is the longest between adjacent stations in deep level tunnels on the London Underground network. During the planning phase of the Victoria line, thought was given to converting Manor House into a Victoria line station and diverting the Piccadilly line in new tunnels directly from Finsbury Park to Turnpike Lane via Harringay Green Lanes, but the idea was abandoned because of the inconvenience this would cause, as well as the cost.
Print-friendly version of this page


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.