Finchley Central

Underground station, existing between 1863 and now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Underground station · Finchley Central · N3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
0
Click to enlarge image.


Church End Finchley is a place in the London Borough of Barnet, popularly known as Finchley Central after the Finchley Central station changed its name in 1940. It is a suburban development situated 7 miles (11.3 km) north north-west of Charing Cross.

The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary?s Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ?s College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.

To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as ?The Naked Lady?, but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.

History


Hendon and District Archaeological Society has found a number of interesting Roman artifacts at Church End but nothing conclusive, and the Saxon settlement
near to the church may not be a continuation of its Roman predecessor. The Domesday Survey mentions a priest, and a church building was documented in 1157. The oldest fabric of the present church is 13th century. The fifty-foot tower (c1450) was much restored in the 18th century when the weathercock, in the form of the ?Lamb and Flag? the badge of the St John, was added. The church is, however, dedicated to St. Mary, an enigmatic feature that defies local historians to this day. Eastern extensions carried out between 1913 ? 15 to designs of architect, Temple Moore have greatly expanded the church. Sir Stamford Raffles, founder of Singapore in 1819, is buried in the church. The most important grave in the churchyard is that of Herbert Chapman the manager of Arsenal Football Club in the 1920s and 1930s. Bram Stoker, may have had St Mary?s graveyard as his model for his fictional ?Kingstead?, the uneasy resting place of Lucy Westenra in his book Dracular. A more benine spirit, St Mary?s graveyard is also the resting place of Coventry Patmore?s wife Emily, the model for the poem The Angel in the House (1854), and the upon whom the Victorian model of domesticity ?the Angel of the Hearth? is based.

West of the church is the Greyhound pub rebuilt in 1898. Originally called the church house it was used vestry meetings from the 16th to 1878. In 1676 the inn, by then was known as the Greyhound, burned down in a fire. In 1855 a fire brigade was established, renamed the Hendon volunteer fire brigade in 1866, and a manual fire engine was kept in a building the church. Further west Church Farmhouse Museum, opened in 1955, is run by the London Borough of Barnet.

Hendon War Memorial was unveiled on St George’s Day, 23 April 1922, but was moved to its present location in 1962. By 1906 Sir Audley Neeld was building in the lands that had been Renters Farm, starting with a new road from Station Road to Queens Road, later called Vivian Avenue. The eventual estate used many names associated with the family: Dallas, Audley, Elliot, Graham, Rundell, Vivian, Algernon, and, of course, Neeld. Other names are associated with Neeld estates in Grittleton, including Alderton, Fosconte, Sevington, and Allington. Hendon Central Station and the Watford Way were constructed in 1923. The road was supposed to cut through the Neeld Estate but a local ratepayers group in Hendon Central, backed up by Hendon Urban District Council, petitioned the County Council in January 1924 and central government, and the route was changed so that it would pass up Queen?s Road (better known now as the Hendon Way).

External links


Ward Map






Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE FINCHLEY CENTRAL AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE FINCHLEY CENTRAL AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE FINCHLEY CENTRAL AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE FINCHLEY CENTRAL AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE FINCHLEY CENTRAL AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to The Underground Map

The Underground Map

The Underground Map is a website dedicated to some of the more obscure pieces of London Town (as well as some of the more well-known places).

The Underground Map project is creating a decade-by-decade series of historical maps of the area which lies within London's M25 ring.

From the 1800s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today.

Find the streets of London by clicking STREETS above or explore the maps by clicking MAP.

The Underground Map works best if you log in using Facebook.




LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Finchley:   Finchley is an important area of north London.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Albert Place, N3 · Arcadia Avenue, N3 · Ballards Lane, N3 · Claverley Grove, N3 · Cornwall Avenue, N3 · Dancastle Court, N3 · East End Road, N3 · Elm Park Road, N3 · Eversleigh Road, N3 · Falkland Avenue, N3 · Glenhill Close, N3 · Lawford House, N3 · Lichfield Grove, N3 · Manor View, N3 · Princes Avenue, N3 · Redbourne Avenue, N3 · Shakespeare Road, N3 · St Pauls Way, N3 · Station Road, N3 · Stuart Court, N3 · The Avenue, N3 · The Grove, N3 · Victoria Avenue, N3 · Wentworth Park, N3 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is Finchley Central like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Finchley Central
Facebook Page
West Finchley
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.