The Underground Map
Featured articlesKeats House
Keats House is a writer’s house museum in a house once occupied by the Romantic poet John Keats. Maps prior to ca.1915 show the road with one of its earlier names, John Street; the road has also been known as Albion Grove. The building was originally a pair of semi-detached houses known as "Wentworth Place". John Keats lodged in one of them with his friend Charles Brown from December 1818 to September 1820. These were perhaps Keats’s most productive years. According to Brown, "Ode to a Nightingale" was written under a plum tree in the garden.
While living in the house, Keats fell in love with and became engaged to Fanny Brawne, who lived with her family in the adjacent house. Keats became increasingly ill with tuberculosis and was advised to move to a warmer climate. He left London in 1820 and died, unmarried, in Italy the following year.
The house is a Grade I listed building.
»read full article
The Hall School is an independent boys’ preparatory school in Belsize Park. The school originated as Belsize School, founded in 1889 by the Revd Francis John Wrottesley, who with his wife had taken fee-paying pupils at their home in nearby 18 Buckland Crescent since 1881. The Wrottesleys sold their school in 1898 to the Revd D. H. Marshall, who took over an adjoining house in 1903, when there were 58 boys, including 10 boarders. In 1905 Marshall bought the Allen Olney girls’ school, which his wife continued at Buckland Crescent.
Marshall moved the boys to Crossfield Road and renamed the school The Hall. The roll was over 100 in 1909, when he sold the school to G. H. Montauban. It prepared boys aged 5 to 13 for public schools and won many scholarships. Montauban bought Woodcote at 69 Belsize Park, at the corner of Buckland Crescent, in 1916 and opened it in 1917 for boys under 8. The school was recognized[clarification needed] from 1919, when Montauban sold The Hall to R. T. Gladstone, retaining the junior school until 1923.
Central School of Speech and Drama
The Royal Central School of Speech & Drama was founded in 1906 to offer a new form of training in speech and drama for young actors and other students. Elsie Fogerty founded The Central School of Speech Training and Dramatic Art at the Royal Albert Hall in 1906. Fogerty was a specialist in speech training and held a firm belief in the social importance of education. She was committed to advancing the study of theatre as an academic discipline.
In 1957 the school moved from the Royal Albert Hall, having acquired the lease of the Embassy Theatre at Swiss Cottage and its associated buildings. By 1961 three distinct departments had been established within Central. The stage department was running its three-year course for actors, with alumni including Laurence Olivier and Peggy Ashcroft already a part of its history, and a two-year course for stage managers. The teacher training department was preparing students for its own diploma, which was a recognised teaching qualification, and for the London University Diploma in Dramatic Art. That diploma had been instituted in 1912 as a result of Fogerty’s campaign for the recogn...
6 Ellerdale Road
6 Ellerdale Road is a house built by the Arts and Crafts movement architect Richard Norman Shaw for himself in the period 1874 to 1876. It is a large red brick detached house between Frognal and Hampstead in London and is now the Institute of St Marcellina.
It was made a Grade I listed building in 1950 and since 2006 has been used as a convent.
»read full article
Hampstead station (1907)
Hampstead station pictured at its opening in 1907 Designed by architect Leslie Green the station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway. Located at the junction of Heath Street and Hampstead High Street, the name Heath Street was proposed for the station before opening: indeed, the original tiled station signs on the platform walls still read Heath Street.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres (192 ft) below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground at 55 metres (180 ft) feet which houses high-speed lifts. There is also a spiral emergency staircase of over 320 steps.
»read full article
St Mary Colechurch
St Mary Colechurch was a parish church in the City of London destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt. The church was situated at the junction of Poultry and the south end of Old Jewry. Named after its first benefactor, it was a prosperous parish able to support a grammar school, which was rebuilt on the site after the fire and continued in that locality until 1787.
The Great Fire of London of 1666 destroyed 86 of the 97 parish churches in the City of London. By 1670 a Rebuilding Act had been passed and a committee set up under of Sir Christopher Wren to plan the new parishes. Fifty-one were chosen, but St Mary Colechurch was one of the minority not to be rebuilt. The parish was united with St Mildred, Poultry, although the parishioners objected on the grounds that:
This was a noisy, crowded parish perpetually disturbed by carts and coaches, and wants sufficient place for burials.
When St Mildred’s too was deemed surplus to requirements, following the passing of the 1860 Union of Benefices Act, it passed successively through partnerships w...
Wedderburn Road, NW3
Wedderburn Road is a street in Hampstead. A large house in southern Hampstead was leased between 1792 and 1803 to Alexander Wedderburn, Lord Loughborough, Lord Chancellor and later earl of Rosslyn. He renamed this house Rosslyn House and was a notable resident of Hampstead.
One of the major builders in Hampstead was William Willett (1837-1913). A fashionable builder in Kensington from 1876, the Willett opened an office in Belsize Court after 1873 and, having built some cramped houses in Belsize Crescent, put up large houses in Belsize Avenue. In 1880 he obtained a 99-year lease of 12 acres of the Belsize Court estate, where from 1886 he built Wedderburn Road, named after the notable earlier resident of the area.
The Willett houses were solidly constructed and set a new artistic standard for speculative architecture. They were red-brick and varied in design, many of them by Willet’s own architects Harry B. Measures and, after 1891, Amos Faulkner.
In the 1880s and early 1890s the ...
Sections of The Underground Map text are taken, adapted or remixed from the Wikipedia. Other sections are written by the authors and users of The Underground Map. The Underground Map hereby gives permission for the re-use of all material which is attributed on its website under the Creative Commons License/CC-BY-3.0.