The Underground Map
Featured articlesBlake Hall
Blake Hall station was opened by the Great Eastern Railway on 1 April 1865 and closed on 2 November 1981. Steam locomotives operated by British Railways for the Underground ran a shuttle service from Epping to Ongar, stopping at Blake Hall, from 1949 until 1957, when the line was electrified and taken over by the Underground’s Central line.
On 18 April 1966 the goods yard was closed and Blake Hall became a dedicated passenger station. On 17 October 1966, Sunday services were withdrawn.
Blake Hall became reputed as the least-used station on the entire Underground network. Fare subsidies provided on the rest of the system were not provided on this part of the line because local government agencies for Essex and London failed to agree on their respective public transport responsibilities, and Blake Hall station was located a considerable distance from any substantial settlement.
By the time services were permanently discontinued on 31 October 1981, the station was reported to have only 17 passengers per day. The station was permanently clos...
Shenley Road water tank
Shenley Road tank was a fire prevention feature of Boreham Wood. This brick structure was a bunded tank. It was full of water for the fire brigade to use should there be a fire at the nearby studios.
Local children would catch sticklebacks there.
»read full article
105 Shenley Road, WD6
105 Shenley Road lies along the main street of Borehamwood. In the early 1900s, this was the 12th of 21 cottages, running west to east, built along the north side of Shenley Road, ending where Clarendon Road met the main road.
In 1960, the cottages were demolished and in 1961, between 83 and 123 Shenley Road, shops to serve the growing population of Boreham Wood took their place.
In 1976, according to the research of local historian Vic Rowntree, this was the site of Halford’s.
In the 2010s, Santander Bank was here.
»read full article
St Augustine’s, Kilburn
St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England. Kirkpatrick formed the church after his parish at St. Mary’s, Kilburn, where he served as curate, received an evangelical vicar unsympathetic to the Anglo-Catholic movement.
By 1871, a foundation stone had been laid and the original ’iron church’ was subsequently replaced by a much more ambitious building, a Gothic Revival church designed by John Loughborough Pearson.
Pearson’s plans called for a red brick structure, vaulted ceilings, and extensive interior stone sculpture in a style reminiscent of 13th-century Gothic architecture. The church was consecrated in 1880, but the tower and spire, remarkable for such Victorian era structures, were not constructed until 1897-1898.
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott designed the reredos (altar screens) for the high altar in 1930. He also designed the reredos of the Lady Chapel and the Stations of the Cross. In 1878, two years prior to the dedication of the church, contemporary historian Edward Walford had al...
Eland House is an office building on Bressenden Place. It was designed by EPR Architects and built by Mowlem for Land Securities, and although finally completed in 1998, staff of the former Department of the Environment had moved in in late 1995/early 1996.
The building is 59 m (152 ft) high, with 11 floors providing 35,000 mÂ² (376,250 sq ft) of office space housing 2,500 staff. It incorporates a number of environmental features including a cogeneration plant and active solar panels.
»read full article
Sections of The Underground Map text are taken, adapted or remixed from the Wikipedia. Other sections are written by the authors and users of The Underground Map. The Underground Map hereby gives permission for the re-use of all material which is attributed on its website under the Creative Commons License/CC-BY-3.0.