The Underground Map
Featured articlesRed Lion
The Red Lion was one of two pubs in Green Street. The other pub, [[34056|The Green Willows]], lay a little way to the south.
On the 1900 map, the Red Lion’s position is marked as a post office but it seems to have been licensed from 1891 onwards by the Weekes family (George, Alfred and Mary Ann).
Mrs Jemima Larkin took over in 1929 and was licensee throughout the 1930s. The Red Lion was in the 1950s run by a man called Ted Oakley.
A bus stop stood outside which served the 358 bus.
The Red Lion was finally demolished in 1962. It is thought that its business declined as newer pubs more convenient to the new Borehamwood estate were built.
»read full article
Green Street was once a separate village from Borehamwood but is now on the edge of its urban area. Green Street is the modern name for the road which runs through the area, north to south, and which connects Borehamwood with Shenley.
On maps issued in 1900, the southern part of the hamlet is shown as being called Greenstreet Hill, dominated by a large house called ’Campions’ (later giving its name to a local school).
Two farms, Leggats Farm and Cowleyhill Farm once lay to the south.
The main part of the village in former times lay to the north of the modern junction with [Stapleton Road, WD6|Stapleton Road].
The village supported two pubs at the turn of the twentieth century - the [[51202|Red Lion]] and the [[34056|Green Willows]]
»read full article
The Green Willows pub seems to have existed from 1871 until the turn of the twentieth century. It was one of two pubs in [[2401|Green Street]] - the other was the [[51202|Red Lion]] - and was positioned at one end of a long brick building containing four cottages and the pub itself. The pub was in the ownership of the Crawley family.
Along the row of cottages - at no.91 - an infamous Victorian murder took place. Henry Cullum had fallen for his neighbour Emily Bignall, and they had been courting throughout 1887 and early 1888.
On March 7th, neighbours heard a man shout: "You Beast!" Then two shots were fired and Emily fell to the ground. Emily’s mother, Sarah Bignall, recalled:
"My child fell into my arms and said ‘Oh Mother!’ She was bleeding from the neck and holding her apron up to her neck on both sides. I dragged her towards my door and she fell to the ground. I put my fingers to try and stop the blood and then I saw it rush out the other side. l ran to the door and shouted ‘Murder’. I remember no more and believe I fa...
Farringdon Road, EC1R
Farringdon Road is a road in Clerkenwell and Finsbury. The construction of Farringdon Road, which took almost 20 years between the 1840s and the 1860s, is considered one of the greatest urban engineering achievements of the 19th century. Not only was it one of the first engineered multi-lane roads, but it also buried the River Fleet in a system of underground tunnels, solving one of London’s most daunting sanitary problems. Its construction also included the building of the world’s first stretch of underground railway, a branch of the Metropolitan Railway that later became part of the London Underground running beneath Farringdon Road from King’s Cross St. Pancras into the City at Farringdon.
Like Clerkenwell Road and Rosebery Avenue, it had an enormous impact on the terrain, not just as a new route and topographical boundary across a tortuously laid out district, but also in bringing about wholesale redevelopment of the building fabric. With the making of the road some of the worst social and sanitary blots were eras...
Exmouth Market, EC1R
Exmouth Market, formerly Exmouth Street, is semi-pedestrianised - the location of an outdoor street market. Tea-gardens and other resorts grew up in this area from the late seventeenth century, and house-building began to take off in the second half of the eighteenth century, spreading as these attractions went into decline. Historically, the line of what is now Exmouth Market marks the division between this early house-building and the much more extensive development to the north that followed the end of the Napoleonic Wars. But while the two sides of the street were built up in different periods, they were topographically part of a continuum extending north over the rest of the old Spa Fields. There Wilmington Square, conceived in 1817, was the centrepiece of a collection of new streets.
Exmouth Market contains two of Clerkenwell’s outstanding architectural monuments: Tecton’s Finsbury Health Centre in Pine Street, and J. D. Sedding’s Church of the Holy Redeemer, opened in 1888. Also here is the principal historic records office for London, the London Metropolitan Arc...
Coulsdon is a town mainly within the London Borough of Croydon, approximately 13 miles from Charing Cross. The location forms part of the North Downs. The hills contain chalk and flint. Several dry valleys with natural underground drainage merge and connect to the headwaters of the River Wandle, here named the ’River Bourne’. Although the Bourne river floods periodically, the soil is generally dry and is the watershed which has constituted a natural route way across the Downs for early populations. Fossil records exist from the Pleistocene period (4 million years ago)
There is evidence of human occupation from the Neolithic period, Iron Age, Anglo-Saxon, Bronze Age, Roman and Medieval. It appears as Colesdone in the Domesday Book.
Most housing in Smitham (Bottom/Valley) and the clustered settlement of Old Coulsdon, as well as the narrower valley between them, was built in the 80 years from 1890 to 1970. The area developed mixed suburban and in its centre urban housing.
Old Coulsdon occupies the south-east of the district. Scattered, rather ...
Vestry House Museum
Vestry House Museum presents the history of Waltham Forest. Situated in Walthamstow Village, the building used to house the parish workhouse, and was later a police station and private home.
It now contains themed displays capturing the unique heritage of the local area and includes the famous Bremer Car, a Victorian parlour, costume gallery and wonderful display of locally manufactured toys and games.
A collection of 80,000 historic photographs from across the Borough is accessible to everyone by appointment. The beautiful volunteer-run garden is an oasis in which to relax and enjoy the arrival of spring.
»read full article
Ashen Grove Farm
Ashen Grove Farm lay in Wimbledon Park. Wimbledon Park dates from 1576 and focused on the first Manor House built at Vineyard Hill in 1588, later known as the Elizabethan Manor House. The park was managed as a deer park to provide fresh meat for the Manor of Wimbledon.
By the early 17th century the Park occupied nearly 4oo acres. The Park was dotted with large clumps of trees and small woods where the deer grazed. The eastern part of the estate, was Ashen Grove Farm. (Also known as ‘Wimbledon Park’ farm.)
It was established in 1633 by John Halfhead from Hertfordshire, who cleared a wood there at the time.
The site of the farm lies off of the modern road called Ashen Grove. However, this was before that the name of a wood called Ashen Grove which lay immediately to the north. The name is marked as a small settlement from the 1750 Roque map onwards.
»read full article
The A1 (Barnet Bypass) and A41 (Watford Bypass) converge at Apex Corner roundabout. Apex Corner was the site of the Apex Garage, built beside the roundabout - itself part of a 1920–4 road improvement programme. Although it is still officially named Northway Circus, the garage, now gone, gave its name to the area.
A landmark pub, The Royal Scot, stood at the junction - this turned into a Kentucky Fried Chicken and then later a hotel. Still later, a McDonalds arrived there.
The 100 square metres that covers the A1 and A41 junction and nearby in Selvage Lane, the M1 running under a bridge, was for a while in the 1990s the UK’s busiest square kilometer, measured by traffic flow.
»read full article
Trafalgar Square, SW1Y
Trafalgar Square commemorates Horatio Nelson’s 1805 victory at the Battle of Trafalgar. Trafalgar Square was built around the area formerly known as Charing Cross.
The site of Trafalgar Square had been a significant landmark since the 13th century and originally contained the King’s Mews. After George IV moved the mews to Buckingham Palace, the area was redeveloped by John Nash, but progress was slow after his death, and the square did not open until 1844. The 169-foot (52 m) Nelson’s Column at its centre is guarded by four lion statues. A number of commemorative statues and sculptures occupy the square, but the Fourth Plinth, left empty since 1840, has been host to contemporary art since 1999.
The square has been used for community gatherings and political demonstrations, including Bloody Sunday, the first Aldermaston March, anti-war protests, and campaigns against climate change. A Christmas tree has been donated to the square by Norway since 1947 and is erected for twelve days before and after Christmas Day.
Camden Road, NW1
Camden Road is a main road running from Camden up to Holloway Road. Camden Road is an old route which begins at Britannia Junction, the confusing hub of Camden Town from which many roads emanate.
It proceeds in a straight line north-east, over the Regent's Canal and under the railway. After climbing a short hill, it ends at Holloway Prison.
»read full article
Chesham is the fourth largest town in Buckinghamshire, situated on a spur of the Metropolitian Line - the further point from the centre of London of any other tube station. The town is known for its four Bs, usually quoted as:- boots, beer, brushes and Baptists.
Chesham’s prosperity grew significantly during the 18th and 19th centuries with the development of manufacturing industry.
In the face of fierce competition from both home and abroad all these traditional industries rapidly declined. The ready availability of skilled labour encouraged new industries to the town both before and after the end of the Second World War.
Today employment in the town is provided by mainly small business engaged in light industry, technology and professional services.
From the early part of the 20th century onwards there has been a considerable expansion of the town with new housing developments and civic infrastructure. Increasingly Chesham has also become a commuter town with improved connection to London via the Underground and road networks. The town centre has been progressively redeveloped since the 196...
Angel Alley, E1
Angel Alley was a narrow passage which ran north-south from Wentworth Street to Whitechapel High Street.. The alley sits immediately to the east of George Yard, evident as early as 1676 and named after the Angel Inn which stood on its south-west corner with Whitechapel High Street.
Known in the 19th century for its Irish tenants who aggressively managed to keep rent-collectors at bay for considerable periods of time.
The northern end of Angel Alley consisted of several lodging houses, initially owned by Samuel Magill from 1866-72 and then by George Wildermuth from 1873-8.
At approximately 11.45pm on the night of 6th August 1888, after spending the evening with Martha Tabram and two soldiers, Whitechapel Murder victim Mary Ann Connelly, aka ’Pearly Poll’ took one of the soldiers into Angel Alley presumably for sex, whilst Tabram did likewise in George Yard.
The northern end of the alley was heavily redeveloped following the building of Wildermuth’s Lodging House in 1893, which effectively made it a much shorter dead-end. Th...
Goldhawk Road, W12
Goldhawk Road is a main road in West London, which starts at Shepherd’s Bush and runs west. Goldhawk Road’s name derives from one John Goldhawk, who in the late 14th century held extensive estates in Fulham.
Goldhawk Road was of little note until the mid-seventeenth century, when a cottage on the street became the home of one Miles Sindercombe, a disgruntled Roundhead who in 1657 made several attempts to assassinate Oliver Cromwell. Sindercombe planned to ambush the Lord Protector using a specially built machine with muskets fixed to a frame. His plan failed, Sindercombe was sentenced to death, and his cottage was eventually demolished in the 1760s.
A map of London dated 1841 shows Goldhawk Road forming the southern boundary of Shepherd’s Bush Green. At that time Shepherd’s Bush was still largely undeveloped and chiefly rural in character, with much open farmland compared to fast-developing Hammersmith, and several ponds or small lakes. Scattered buildings are shown, mostly lining the main thoroughfares of Wood Lane, Cumberland Road (now t...
Fulham Broadway station is notable as the nearest station to Stamford Bridge stadium, the home of Chelsea Football Club. The London Oratory School is also nearby. Fulham Broadway station is notable as the nearest station to Stamford Bridge stadium, the home of Chelsea Football Club. The London Oratory School is also nearby.
The station was opened as Walham Green on 1 March 1880 when the District Railway (DR, now the District line) extended its line south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge. Due to the area’s poor Underground links, it is the station used locally by many residents of the western part of neighbouring Chelsea.
The original station building was replaced in 1905 with a new entrance designed by Harry W Ford to accommodate crowds for the newly built Stamford Bridge stadium. It is now a Grade II listed building.
The name was changed to its current form on 1 March 1952 after representations from Fulham Chamber of Commerce.
In 2003 the street-level station building at the southern end of the platform was closed and a new entrance was opened within the adjacent Fulham Broadway ...
Finsbury Park is an area in north London which grew up around an important railway interchange near the borders of the London Boroughs of Islington, Haringey and Hackney. Finsbury Park is not to be confused with [Finsbury|Finsbury] which is 5.3 km further south in the London Borough of Islington.
The area is centred on Finsbury Park station, a major bus, rail and tube interchange near the southern end of the public park of the same name.
The surrounding area has a cosmopolitan feel, as reflected by the wide variety of shops and establishments on Seven Sisters Road, Blackstock Road and Stroud Green Road. The North London Central Mosque (formerly the Finsbury Park Mosque), which drew attention for extremist activity before a change in leadership in 2003, is located here. Arsenal Football Club’s Emirates Stadium is nearby.
Finsbury Park station first opened on 1 July 1861 and was originally named Seven Sisters Road (Holloway). It is on the route of the East Coast Main Line from King’s Cross to the north of England and Scotland. The southern section of this was built in stages during the 1840s and ear...
Hillfield Court is a prominent art deco residential mansion block in Belsize Park, in the London Borough of Camden, built in 1934. It is one of the many purpose built mansion blocks on Haverstock Hill between Chalk Farm and Hampstead. It is close to the amenities near Belsize Park tube station, as well as the shops of Belsize Village, South End Green and Hampstead.
Hillfield Court sits on what was once a large country estate known as the Belsize Estate. The first recorded building on the site of what today is Hillfield Court was built in around 1646. It was known as the Blue House and was one of many rural abodes in the area belonging to wealthy merchants, who wanted a country residence within easy reach of London. The Blue House was accessed directly from Haverstock Hill. Little is known about the residents of the Blue House but evidence suggests that in 1650 it was occupied by one John Mascall and in 1679 by Thomas Butler. Between 1761 and 1773, the house was rebuilt and extended by merchant William Horsley.
In 1808, the Belsize Estate was split into 9 leasehold estates. The Hillfi...
Lea Bridge Road, E5
Lea Bridge Road is a major through route in east London, across the Lea Valley from Clapton to Whipps Cross in Leyton. In 1582 Mill Field Lane ran from Clapton to Jeremy’s Ferry in the Leyton Marshes.
Replacing the ferry, a timber bridge was built in 1745, and the road became known as Lea Bridge Road, with a tollgate at the Clapton end. A toll house was built on the west bank of the river in 1757, and the bridge rebuilt in iron in 1820–1. Tolls continued to be levied until 1872.
The second road bridge opened circa 1890 and the present third Lea Bridge Road Bridge was opened during August 1995.
»read full article
Lea Bridge is a district spanning an area separating the London Borough of Hackney from the London Borough of Waltham Forest. In 1582 Mill Fields Lane ran from Clapton to Jeremy’s Ferry in the Leyton Marshes. At the same spot a timber bridge was built in 1745, and the road became known as Lea Bridge Road, with a tollgate at the Clapton end. A toll house was built on the west bank of the river in 1757, and the bridge rebuilt in iron in 1820–1. Tolls continued to be levied until 1872.
Lea Bridge gives ready access to the lower reaches of the extensive Lee Valley Park, which stretches for about 26 miles on both banks of the river. Next to the south side of the bridge are two public houses, the "Princess of Wales" and "The Ship Aground". To the south are the Hackney Marshes, and beyond Leyton Marsh to the north are the Walthamstow Marshes and Nature Reserve. Below the bridge, the river flows over the Middlesex Filter Beds Weir, marking the boundary with Leyton and providing the supply for the former East London Waterworks Company.
The old Middlesex Filter Beds have been convert...
Commercial Road, E1
Commercial Road is a major thoroughfare (the A13) running east-west from the junction of Burdett Road and East India Dock Road to Braham Street. In 1802, the East India Company secured an Act of Parliament for the building of a new road beginning at the new West India Dock Gate and terminating at Church Lane, Whitechapel. The line of the new road more or less followed the path of an existing one called White Horse Lane. This pre-existent pathway through fields can be seen on maps of the time with the line of the new road already marked in. This first stage of the road was constructed in 1803.
The development of the road into a residential neighbourhood began with the establishment of sugar refineries in St. George’s-in-the-East, which led to the erection of small houses for the accommodation of the workers employed in that industry. On the Stepney stretch, an attractive residential district for the well-to-do was built, forming ’Terraces’ and ’Places’ and for a while at least, the Commercial Road had an air of prosperity about it, reinforced by the appearance of shops.
Hewer Street, W10
Hewer Street is a street in London W10. Hewer Street was cut off half way along its length by post-war redevelopment. Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between [Exmoor Street, W10|Exmoor Street] to a former street called [Raymede Street, W10|Raymede Street].
Ernest Walsh, contributing as part of the BBC People’s War in 2004 wrote about Hewer Street:
I was 17 years old when the following incident happened and was living in Notting Hill.
The street shelters were erected just after the outbreak of war. The low square buildings were fitted with bunks to sleep 10 persons and were sited along the road-side.
For nearly two years since 1940,vhen the raids on London really started, the brick built shelters had been our sleeping quartets; built mainly to protect civilians from shrapnel and falling masonry.
As soon as the warning sounded, the family would gather bedding, tea-pot and kettle, and settle down for the night; knowing t...
Boston Manor is a London Underground station serving the Boston Manor area between Brentford and Hanwell in west London. Boston Manor station was opened by the District Railway (DR), on 1 May 1883 on a line to Hounslow Town (located on Hounslow High Street but now closed). The station was originally named Boston Road. The signs on the platforms gave the name as Boston Manor for Hanwell.
Electrification of the DR’s tracks took place between 1903 and 1905 with electric trains replacing steam trains on the Hounslow branch from 13 June 1905. The station was given its current name on 11 December 1911.
Between 1932 and 1934 the station was rebuilt to replace the 1883 station building.
The new station was designed by Stanley Heaps in the modern European style used elsewhere on the Piccadilly line by Charles Holden. The design uses brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Occupying a narrow site because of the approach to the adjoining depot, the station was built out over the tracks. The distinctive tower feature, with an illuminated leading edge and roundel rises h...
27A Theobald Street
27a Theobald Street was once Boreham Wood’s first purpose-built school. Since the introduction of the Education Act in 1870, making it compulsory for children under the age of ten to go to school, another building down the road at number 35 Theobald Street had been used as a temporary infants’ school for the area.
Boreham Wood was not a parish in its own right until later and so the area did not have a junior school of its own. Older pupils had to walk to the Elstree National School or Medburn Boys’ School, which was on the route to Radlett."
But in 1896, the building, which still stands at 27a Theobald Street, was erected. It is thought to have been constructed using bricks mined from a quarry off Deacons Hill Road, in Elstree.
At its peak, the school took up to 66 pupils. With the building being so small in structure, classes were divided, with a screen partition used in the middle of the room.
The building was also used by the Town Council for meetings in the early 20th century.
Stag Lane, NW9
Stag Lane follows the line of an old country track. Stag Lane was formerly known as Tunworth Lane, after an estate which existed both sides of the road at its Burnt Oak end.
Many roads converged on Kingsbury Green and Stag Lane was one, running from Roe Green to Redhill - an old name for Burnt Oak. Many modern roads in the area had earlier names. From Kingsbury Green, Ox Street or London Lane and later Kingsbury Road, ran eastward to the Hyde; Buck Lane, earlier known as Stonepits or Postle Lane, ran northward from Kingsbury Green to join Hay Lane, a road mentioned in the 13th century. Church Lane, in 1563 called Northland Lane, ran southward from Kingsbury Green to the church and Green Lane joined the green to Townsend Lane, known as North Dean Lane in 1394 and 1503. On the west Gibbs or Piggs Lane joined Kingsbury Green to Slough Lane or Sloe Street, as it was called in 1428. The southward extension of Slough Lane, Salmon Street, was called Dorman Stone Lane in the 15th and 16th centuries. The portion of road between t...
Theobald Street, WD6
Theobald Street runs from the centre of Borehamwood to the centre of Radlett. Theobald Street was, until the twentieth century, the high street of Borehamwood. Shops run along the street between the Crown pub and Brickfield Cottages. Only with the arrival of the film industry did Shenley Road begin to take over this function.
The "street" part of the name is derived from an often-used Hertfordshire term for a hamlet which lies on a long road - other examples are Colney Street and, more locally, Green Street. In modern times the street was named after that of the hamlet - this is the reason it is a ’street’ rather than a ’lane’, despite its rural setting.
Theobald Street was, were created as a result of the Enclosure Act of 1776, whereby Boreham Wood Common was divided up amongst various landowners.
While associated more now with Borehamwood, the hamlet of Theobald Street lay nearer what is now Radlett and indeed was a former alternative name for Radlett. In 1718 the bridge over a stream between Radlett and C...
An Omnibus Ride to Piccadilly Circus
An Omnibus Ride to Piccadilly Circus, Mr Gladstone Travelling with Ordinary Passengers, 1885 An Omnibus Ride to Piccadilly Circus shows Mr Gladstone, the British Prime Minister, travelling with ordinary passengers.
The description of the painting also says that it includes a self portrait.
We can assume that the artist, Alfred Morgan, is seated next to the Window on the left hand side.
»read full article
Golders Green, looking south (1905)
This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place. At the beginning of the 20th century Golders Green was a small rural hamlet with only a few houses, but the opening of the railway stimulated a rapid building boom causing the number of houses and the population to increase greatly.
The photographer is standing in a position which would see them directly underneath the earth of the Golders Green railway viaduct by 1907.
»read full article
St James’s Place, EC3A
St James Place was an open square, formerly Broad Court, which held a daily market that sold fruits of various kinds. The fruit of the orange tree was the most predominant and therefore the locals gave this market the name of ’Orange Market’.
In the middle of St James Place stood a manned Fire Station. Made of wood, it was around 1888 that this structure was converted to brick. It had 3 men on duty over the evening period and outside was a cart with ladders. Next to this station was a free standing gas lamp. Another lamp was situated right above the covered entrance of St James passage that led to Mitre Square. Apart from St James Passage, access to the Place could be obtained via Little Duke Street (which crossed the top of Duke Street from Houndsditch to St James Place) in the east, or King Street in the west.
St. James’ Place was later renamed Creechurch Place.
»read full article
46 Aldgate High Street
This Grade II Listed office building is one of the few timber-framed buildings in the City that predates the Great Fire of 1666. In the 2010s, its office location still had a variety of former bedrooms, still wood-panelled and with feature fireplaces.
»read full article
St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years. The church was one of four in medieval London dedicated to St Botolph, a 7th-century East Anglian saint, each of which stood by one of the gates of the London Wall. The others erected were St Botolph’s, Billingsgate (destroyed by the Great Fire and not rebuilt); St Botolph’s, Aldersgate; and St Botolph’s, Bishopsgate.
The earliest known written record of the church dates from 1115, when it was received by the Holy Trinity Priory (recently founded by Matilda, wife of Henry I) but the parochial foundations may very well date from before 1066. Its first recorded Rector was in 1108, predating the first recorded instance of the church.
The original Saxon building was enlarged in 1418 and almost entirely rebuilt in the sixteenth century. The church also houses monuments to figures who lived during the Middle Ages, such as Thomas, Lord Dacre, and Sir Nicholas Carrew of Beddington.
The current 18th-century church building is made of brick w...
Sections of The Underground Map text are taken, adapted or remixed from the Wikipedia. Other sections are written by the authors and users of The Underground Map. The Underground Map hereby gives permission for the re-use of all material which is attributed on its website under the Creative Commons License/CC-BY-3.0.