The Underground Map
Tyburn was a village of Middlesex close to the current location of Marble Arch and the southern end of Edgware Road.
It took its name from the Tyburn Brook, a tributary of the River Westbourne. The name Tyburn, from Teo Bourne meaning ’boundary stream’, is quite widely occurring. The Tyburn consisted of two arms, one of which, crossed Oxford Street, near Stratford Place; while the other - later called the Westbourne - followed nearly the course of the present Westbourne Terrace and the Serpentine. The Westbourne had rows of elms growing on its banks which became a place of execution. The former Elms Lane in Bayswater, preserved the memory of these fatal elms, which can be regarded as the original ’Tyburn Trees.’
Tyburn Brook should not be confused with the better known River Tyburn, which is the next tributary of the River Thames to the east of the Westbourne.
The village was one of two manors of the parish of Marylebone, which was itself named after the stream, St Marylebone being a contraction of St Mary’s church by the bourne. Tyburn was recorded in the Domesday Book...
Elstree Way, WD6
Elstree Way connects Shenley Road and the A1 in Borehamwood. Elstree Way was constructed in the early 1930s and has contained the municipal centre of the town with Hertsmere Borough Council’s Civic Offices, the Police, Fire and Ambulance Stations, Library, the Venue Leisure Centre, Oaklands College and the Job Centre.
This end of Borehamwood originally had three farms and all the roads that linked them were just paths and tracks.
By 1938, development on both sides of Elstree Way had commenced. Through the following decades in a number of small individual building clusters sprung up. Notable along Elstree Way at various times were Elliots/GEC/Marconi, Sellotape, Carl Zeiss Scientific Instruments and Christian Salvesen.
Elstree Way was best known though for its film studios. Amalgamated was being constructed in Elstree Way when the developer went bankrupt and Lord Rank purchased the facility and 120 acres of land before it opened and then leased it to the Government at the outbreak of war.
Portman Square, W1H
Portman Square is a square, part of the Portman Estate, located at the western end of Wigmore Street, which connects it to Cavendish Square to its east. It was built between 1765 and 1784 on land belonging to Henry William Portman. It included residences of Alexander Hamilton, 10th Duke of Hamilton, Sir Brook Bridges, 3rd Baronet, Henry Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne, George Keppel, 6th Earl of Albemarle, Sir Charles Asgill, 1st Baronet and William Henry Percy. Alexander Duff, 1st Duke of Fife maintained his London residence at No. 15 Portman Square.
Montagu House at the northwest corner was built by James Stuart for Mrs. Elizabeth Montagu. She used to give a roast beef and plum pudding dinner for chimney-sweeps and their apprentices on Mayday. One of them, David Porter, grew up to be a builder and named Montagu square in her honour.
»read full article
Montagu House at 22 Portman Square was a historic London house. Occupying a site at the northwest corner of the square, in the angle between Gloucester Place and Upper Berkeley Street, it was built for Mrs Elizabeth Montagu, a wealthy widow and patroness of the arts, to the design of the neoclassicist architect James Stuart.
Construction began in 1777 and the house was completed in 1781, whereupon it became Mrs Montagu’s London residence until her death on 25 August 1800. The house was destroyed by an incendiary bomb in the Blitz of London and the site is now occupied by the Radisson SAS Portman Hotel.
»read full article
Half Moon Court, EC1A
Halfmoon Court is the southern most of five passages leading eastward from Kinghorn Street. As once known as Half Moon Passage, its route used to continue round a curious dog-leg bend before emerging through a narrow covered passage into Aldersgate Street, but the path was truncated earlier this century and is now only half its original length. Many of the neighbouring byways, tiny openings dotted here and there, have gone the same way as in other parts of London – sunken from view, forgotten and erased from the scene. There used to be an array of short connecting passages around here, some can still be found but most have either been sealed off or building developments have obliterated their very existence.
Here was the Half Moon Tavern. It stood on the corner of Aldersgate Street, a place favoured in the 16th century by artists, writers, critics, or anyone feeling the need to engage in literary conversation. In 1866 one of these faithful clients wrote in a local paper that the Half Moon ‘is filled with carved woodwork of the most elaborate kind and the walls...
Abingdon Villas, W8
Abingdon Villas runs between Earls Court Road and Marloes Road. The eastern section of the street consists of red-brick five-storey mansion blocks and the south side of three-storey white stucco houses.
The western end has a mixture of three-storey houses, some of which are partially stuccoed and others only stuccoed up to first floor level. Most of the houses have off-street parking.
Nos. 80-82 Abingdon Villas was built by Francis Attfield in 1851 as part of his development of houses on the adjoining Earls Court Road.
The sites for Nos. 65-85 (odd) Abingdon Villas backed onto the Cope Place sites and they were built at about the same time in 1852-4. A variety of builders were involved: Nos. 65-67, Edward Good, a carpenter from Kensington; Nos. 69-71, Jackson Frow, a carpenter from Caledonian Road; Nos. 73-75, Thomas Methias, a carpenter; Nos. 77-85, Joseph Liddiatt, a builder from St Marylebone.
In 1851 Barnabas Jennings and William Stevenson, who were involved in other parts of the Abin...
St Barnabas’ Church
St Barnabas’ Church is a church in Kensington.
Read the St Barnabas’ Church, Kensington entry on the Wikipedia...
»read full article
Oxford Street, W1C
Oxford Street is Europe’s busiest shopping street, with around half a million daily visitors, and as of 2012 had approximately 300 shops.
Oxford Street follows the route of a Roman road, the Via Trinobantina, which linked Calleva Atrebatum (near Silchester, Hampshire) with Camulodunum (now Colchester) via London and became one of the major routes in and out of the city.
Between the 12th century and 1782, it was variously known as Tyburn Road (after the River Tyburn that ran just to the south of it, and now flows underneath it), Uxbridge Road (this name is still used for the portion of the London-Oxford road between Shepherds Bush and Uxbridge), Worcester Road and Oxford Road. On Ralph Aggas’ "Plan of London", published in the 16th century, the road is described partly as "The Waye to Uxbridge" followed by "Oxford Road", showing rural farmland where the junction of Oxford Street and Rathbone Place now is.
Despite being a major coaching route, there were several obstacles along it, including the bridge over the Tyburn. A turnpike trust was established in the 1730s to improve u...
Connaught Place, W2
Connaught Place is a street near to Marble Arch. Tyburnia was a name used in the early 19th century for the area - the first part of the Paddington Estate to be built up. It was adopted presumably because ’Tyburn’ was already well known, as a reference to the gallows at Tyburn tree. In the 1870s the name was confined to a fashionable area, bounded on the west by Westbourne and Gloucester terraces, north of Lancaster Gate.
The first building agreement was made in 1807 between the trustees for the beneficial lessees of the Paddington Estate and John Lewis, surgeon, of St. George’s, Hanover Square. Lewis took a lease for 98 years from 1806 of land with a frontage of c. 400 ft. along the Uxbridge road and one of 360 ft. along Edgware Road to the corner of Upper Seymour Street West, a proposed continuation of Marylebone’s Upper Seymour Street. A range of substantial dwellings of the first class facing Hyde Park was to be built by 1812, with second- or third-rate houses along the south side of Upper Seymour’ Street West and...
Speakers’ Corner is in the northeast corner of Hyde Park. Speakers’ Corner is found close to the site of Tyburn gallows, where public hangings took place between 1196 and 1783. Legend has it the origins of Speakers’ Corner lie in the tradition of granting last words to those condemned to die.
Speakers here may talk on any subject, as long as the police consider their speeches lawful. Contrary to popular belief, there is no immunity from the law, nor are any subjects proscribed, but in practice the police tend to be tolerant and therefore intervene only when they receive a complaint. On some occasions in the past, they have intervened on grounds of profanity. Historically there were a number of other areas designated as Speakers’ Corners in other parks in London (e.g., Lincoln’s Inn Fields Finsbury Park, Clapham Common, Kennington Park, and Victoria Park).
Though Hyde Park Speakers’ Corner is considered the paved area closest to Marble Arch, legally the public speaking area extends beyond the Reform Tree and co...
Electric Avenue, SW9
Electric Avenue is a street in Brixton and the first market street to be lit by electricity. Built in 1888, the elegant Victorian canopies over the pavements survived until the 1980s.
Brixton Market began in the 1870s as the area was becoming one of London’s rapidly expanding Victorian middle-class suburbs following the railway station opening in 1862. The area became a popular shopping destination due not only to the lights and covered iron canopy but also the array of shops – including London’s first department store: Bon Marché on Brixton Road – and street entertainers. Every Christmas, it would be lavishly covered in spectacular Christmas decorations.
At the turn of the century the middle classes moved out and the area became home to a large working class population. Many large houses were subsequently converted into flats.
Post-war, the area was in decline having suffered badly in WWII bombing. Many properties fell into disrepair or were split into smaller lodgings. Such lodgings would become home to the Windrush genera...
Somerset House, Park Lane
Somerset House was an 18th-century town house on the east side of Park Lane, where it meets Oxford Street, in the Mayfair area of London. It was also known as 40 Park Lane, although a renumbering means that the site is now called 140 Park Lane. The house was built between 1769 and 1770 for John Bateman, 2nd Viscount Bateman and was designed by the master carpenter John Phillips, who was the "undertaker" for the whole north-west corner of the Grosvenor estate.
The new house was built with one side facing Park Lane, the main entrance being from a courtyard which continued the line of Hereford Street. It had four storeys above ground, with bay windows extending through the floors. One bay faced Park Lane, and two more faced the garden, which ran down to North Row. Although all surviving pictures of the house show it cased in stucco, at the outset the facades may have been bare brick, with the windows dressed in Portland stone. On the ground floor, the entrance hall was paved in Portland stone and leading from it were the dining room, the drawing room and a dressing room. The staircase rose from the hall, with stone steps and iron railings, to the second floor, which had three principal rooms, including Lady Batem...
South Harrow originally spread south and west from the hamlet of Roxeth as a result of easier access from Central London by rail. Six roads now converge at Roxeth hamlet centre at the bottom of Roxeth Hill. Its areas include, in the west, the geometric garden estate of Shaftesbury Circus/Avenue and in the south, beyond this historic heart, a newly developed shopping area, South Harrow tube station and the locality’s own high street, Northolt Road.
South Harrow succeeded Roxeth and outlying southern fields of Harrow in which that hamlet stood. This was a rural area until the late 19th century with remaining agricultural fields converted to housing by the mid-20th century.
South Harrow station was opened on 28 June 1903 by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) as the terminus of its new extension from Park Royal & Twyford Abbey.
This new extension was, together with the existing tracks back to Acton Town, the first section of the Underground’s surface lines to be electrified and operate electric instead of steam trains. The Deep level tube lines open at that...
South Ealing is notable in Underground trivia for having, along with Mansion House, every vowel in its name. South Ealing station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line), on 1 May 1883 on a line to Hounslow Town (located on Hounslow High Street but now closed).
Electrification of the DR's tracks took place between 1903 and 1905 with electric trains replacing steam trains on the Hounslow branch from 13 June 1905. Piccadilly line services, which had been running non-stop through the station since January 1933, began serving South Ealing from 29 April 1935. From this date, the branch was operated jointly by both lines until District line services were withdrawn on 10 October 1964.
In 2006, the station was refurbished at platform level, providing new signage, passenger shelters, security equipment and public address system.
»read full article
Marble Arch is a 19th-century white marble faced triumphal arch. The structure was designed by John Nash in 1827 to be the state entrance to the cour d’honneur of Buckingham Palace; it stood near the site of what is today the three-bayed, central projection of the palace containing the well known balcony. In 1851 it was relocated and following the widening of Park Lane in the early 1960s is now sited, incongruently isolated, on a large traffic island at the junction of Oxford Street, Park Lane and Edgware Road.
Historically, only members of the Royal Family and the King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery are permitted to pass through the arch; this happens only in ceremonial processions.
Nash’s three arch design is based on that of the Arch of Constantine in Rome and the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel in Paris. The triumphal arch is faced with Carrara marble with embellishments of marble extracted from quarries near Seravezza.
John Flaxman was chosen to make the commemorative sculpture. After his death in 1826...
The Ring was a boxing stadium which once stood on Blackfriars Road in Southwark. Although established as a boxing venue in 1910, the actual building dated from 1783 as the Surrey Congregational Chapel by the Reverend Rowland Hill - who reportedly opted for the unusual, circular design so that there would be no corners in which the devil could hide.
It was used as a chapel for 75 years after which its lease was not renewed and the congregation moved to another site.
The person responsible for overseeing the chapel’s final conversion was Dick Burge, a former English middleweight champion from Cheltenham. The former place of worship had become a warehouse.
Dick and (his wife) Bella Burge enlisted the help of local homeless people to clean out the building and transform it into a state fit for presenting boxing to the public.
The Ring opened on 14 May 1910, with the Blackfriars arena soon staging events four to five times a week, and the name from the circular shape of the building. The term "boxing ring" i...
Pepler Mews, SE5
Pepler Mews is a cul-de-sac off of Cobourg Road. Built in the late nineteenth century, it ran behind a now-vanished road known as Pepler Road. At the end of the Mews by 1900, was the Alpha Works, a collar manufacturers. A laundry was the only other building in the road.
In the twentieth century, Pepler Mews became residential.
»read full article
Kensington Square, W8
Kensington Square is a garden square in London, W8. It was founded in 1685; hence it is the oldest such square in Kensington. In London, St. James’s Square, Soho Square and Golden Square are a few years older, but in contrast with these Kensington Square still retains its residential character. 1-45 Kensington Square are listed Grade II for their architectural merit.
»read full article
Theobald Street, SE1
Theobald Street is (now) a short street lying off of the New Kent Road. The street was on the map by 1830, marked as Theobalds Street. It run north to a now-gone street known as George Street.
Its notable architectural feature used to be the St Andrew’s Southwark church which was on the corner of Theobald Street and the New Kent Road, The parish of St Andrew, Newington had been formed from Holy Trinity in 1877.
The church, consisted of a chancel with vestry and organ chamber, a nave with north and south aisles, a tower in the west bay of the south aisle and a shallow porch against the tower. It was built of stock bricks with red brick dressings and slate roofs. It was designed in late 13th-century style.
It was damaged in World War 2 and demolished in 1956. The church hall remained but was demolished c 1980, following a fire.
Theobald Street, Southwark is now largely industrial.
»read full article
Four Wents was a green which existed as a cross roads until 1873. Four roads met here originally. Two are still main roads - Whitehall Road and Friday Hill. They were joined by Pimp Hall Lane, now a track going to the recycling centre but then the road from Hale End, and Kings Road.
The road layout changed when the railway was built in 1873.
»read full article
Queenhithe is a small and ancient ward of the City of London, situated by the River Thames and a minor street. The name of ‘Queenhithe’ today refers essentially to three concepts: (1) The ancient dock by that name. (2) Just to the north of the dock, a street called Queenhithe. (3) The third use of the word is in the Ward of Queenhithe which, obviously, takes its name from the dock.
Queenhithe was a thriving Saxon and medieval dock and is the only inlet now surviving along the City waterfront today. In Saxon times a second dock was also cut into the river bank at Billingsgate which remained until Victorian times when the dock was filled in and a new building called Billingsgate Market was erected on the reclaimed land.
By the 9th century Vikings were occupying the land inside the Roman Wall. In AD 886 the land inside the Roman Wall was reoccupied by King Alfred the Great. Alfred drove the Danes out of the City and is assumed to have established the street pattern to the south of Cheapside. A few years later, in AD 899, a harbour was established at ‘Ethelred’s Hyth...
Cheapside is a street in the City of London, the historic and modern financial centre of London. Cheapside links St. Martin’s Le Grand with Poultry. Near its eastern end at Bank junction, where it becomes Poultry, is Mansion House, the Bank of England, and Bank station. To the west is St. Paul’s Cathedral, St. Paul’s tube station and Paternoster Square.
In the Middle Ages, it was known as Westcheap, as opposed to Eastcheap, another street in the City, near London Bridge. The boundaries of the wards of Cheap, Cordwainer and Bread Street run along Cheapside and Poultry; prior to boundary changes in 2003 the road was divided amongst Farringdon Within and Cripplegate wards in addition to the current three.
Cheapside is a common English street name, meaning "market place". There was originally no connection to the modern meaning of cheap (’low price’, a shortening of good ceap, ’good buy’), though by the 18th century this association may have begun to be inferred.
Many of the streets feeding into the main thoroughfare are named after the pr...
Cannon Street, EC4R
Cannon Street is a road in the City of London, the historic nucleus of London and its modern financial centre. It runs roughly parallel with the River Thames, about 250 metres north of it, in the south of the City.
It is the site of the ancient London Stone and gave its name to Cannon Street station, a mainline railway terminus and connected London Underground station.
The area around Cannon Street was initially the place of residence of the candle-makers. The name first appears as ’Candelwrichstrete Street’ in 1190. The name was shortened over 60 times as a result of the local cockney dialect and settled on Cannon Street in the 17th century, and is therefore not related to the firearms.
In the west, Cannon Street starts at St. Paul’s Churchyard outside St Paul’s Cathedral; running east it meets Queen Victoria Street near Mansion House tube station, passing Cannon Street station, and finally meets King William Street and Gracechurch Street near Monument tube station.
In the late 19th century Cannon Street was occupied by large wholesa...
Queen Street, EC2V
Queen Street is a street in the City of London which runs between Upper Thames Street at its southern end to Cheapside in the north. The thoroughfares of Queen Street and King Street (a northward continuation of Queen Street beyond Cheapside) were newly laid out, cutting across more ancient routes in the City, following the Great Fire of London in 1666; they were the only notable new streets following the fire’s destruction of much of the City.
At the lower (southern) end of Queen Street is Southwark Bridge. The London Chamber of Commerce & Industry is located at No. 33. At the upper (northern) end the street crosses Cheapside and becomes King Street, which leads to Gresham Street and the Guildhall. This creates a direct route from the River Thames at Southwark Bridge up to the Guildhall. Queen Street meets the newer Queen Victoria Street as well as Cannon Street. Minor roads off the street include Skinners Lane (the home of the Worshipful Company of Skinners) and Cloak Lane.
Two short sections of the street are pedestrianised, which together with a pedestrian-priority crossing of Cann...
The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era. Mermaid Tavern was located in Cheapside, to the east of St. Paul’s Cathedral. It had entrances from both Friday Street and Bread Street. The tavern’s sign, not surprisingly, bore a mermaid.
It was the site of the so-called "Fraternity of Sireniacal Gentlemen", a drinking club that met on the first Friday of every month that included some of the Elizabethan era’s leading literary figures, among them Ben Jonson, John Donne, John Fletcher and Francis Beaumont, Thomas Coryat, John Selden, Robert Bruce Cotton, Richard Carew, Richard Martin, and William Strachey.
A popular tradition has grown up that the group included William Shakespeare, although most scholars think that was improbable.
The tavern, the location of which today corresponds to the corner of Bread and Cannon Streets, burned down in the Great Fire of London.
»read full article
Street cricket (1953)
Street cricket has been played across London since the rules of the game were formulated. Montford Place is a street near to the Oval cricket ground in Kennington and children in the area have long been fonder of the game than in other areas of London. This photo was taken in 1953.
In street cricket, there is no real rule book. Tennis balls are often used because it is lighter. A dustbin, empty crates, broom sticks or canes serve as stumps at the batsman's end while a piece of brick or a pipe serves as the stumps at the bowler's end. When they are no stumps, the players assume the stumps to be at an imaginary height (usually above the waist level of the batsman). This leads to many arguments as to whether the ball would have hit the stumps or not had the stumps been there for real.
The size of the road or traffic does not hinder the progress of a game; children often wait for the traffic to clear before playing consecutive deliveries.
A very important rule that is almost always used in street cricket is one pitch catch...
Branstone Street, W10
Branstone Street, originally Bramston Street, disappeared in 1960s developments. Branstone Street ran along the back of Barlby Road School between Exmoor Street and Porlock Street. It was renamed from Bramston Street in 1929.
As 1960s developments transformed the area, the street disappeared from the map.
»read full article
Acton Central railway station is on the North London Line, now part of the London Overground system, between South Acton and Willesden Junction. The station was opened as Acton on 1 August 1853 by the North and South Western Junction Railway (N&SWJR), but was renamed Acton Central on 1 November 1925.
Between 1875 and 1902 it was connected with St Pancras via the Dudding Hill Line, which branches off the North London Line between Acton Central and Willesden Junction. Harlesden (Midland) railway station was the next stop on the line north. The Dudding Hill Line is still open today, but only carries freight.
Acton Central station was named for closure by the 1963 Beeching Report, also known as the Beeching Axe.
The station is where trains change power supply from overhead line equipment (AC) to Third rail (DC), or vice versa, depending on direction of travel.
»read full article
Woodsford Square, W14
Woodsford Square is a 1970s development consisting of a series of interconnecting squares hidden away on the eastern side of Addison Road. The buildings are mainly 4-storey town houses, with some of the corner houses having interesting protruding first floor extensions (painted white) on stilts.
There are a series of communal private gardens with lawns and trees and the whole development is rather hidden and private.
At the north end is Holland Park Tennis Club.
»read full article
Holland Villas Road, W14
Holland Villas Road is a wide tree-lined avenue which runs between Upper Addison Gardens and the junction of Addison Crescent and Holland Road. It is considered one of the most desirable addresses in Holland Park.
The buildings consist mainly of large brick detached villas – some are absolutely enormous. Most have front gardens with small driveways and high security gates. Some even have their own swimming pools. At the north end is a modern block of flats called Fitzclarence House. There is also Addisland Court, an 8-storey 1930’s-style block of flats.
The houses in Holland Villas Road are large detached houses of two or three storeys with basements. The builder was James Hall who built the houses over several years from 1857. Hall built about 120 houses in the estate in the 1850s. He also built extensively in the Chepstow Villas and Pembridge Place area. They are similar in size to his houses in Addison Road, but of a more modern design. The central portico entrance door is narrower to make room for large canted bay windows on either side. In place of Georgian balustrades topping the facades,...
Dallas Road, NW4
Dallas Road is a road running parallel to the Midland railway and M1. By 1906, Sir Audley Neeld was building on the land that had been Renters Farm, starting with a new road from Station Road to Queens Road, later called Vivian Avenue.
The eventual estate used many names associated with the family: Dallas, Audley, Elliot, Graham, Rundell, Vivian, and Algernon and, of course, Neeld.
The M1 was built alongside Dallas Road’s already busy railway setting.
»read full article
Sections of The Underground Map text are taken, adapted or remixed from the Wikipedia. Other sections are written by the authors and users of The Underground Map. The Underground Map hereby gives permission for the re-use of all material which is attributed on its website under the Creative Commons License/CC-BY-3.0.