Ainger Road, NW3

Road in/near Primrose Hill, existing between 1869 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
35.175.174.157 
Can't see your street on the map? Click here to view a list of local streets
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Primrose Hill · NW3 ·
MARCH
14
2019
Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century.


The name commemorates Thomas Ainger, vicar of St John’s from 1841 until his death in 1863, who provided clinics, schools and churches to go with the new houses in the area.

George Pownall was the builder/developer responsible for developing the street. In 1868 Pownall proposed to build several new roads. After building in Albert Park and Oppidans Road, Ainger Road was built in 1869. By 1879, Pownall had built 38 houses, three stables and a workshop.

Main source

Gillian Bebbington's 1972 work on street name derivations

Citations and sources

Links and further reading

Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website


 

Primrose Hill




Print-friendly version of this page


View copyright notice