Boyne Terrace Mews, W11
Road in/near Holland Park, existing between the 1860s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Holland Park is a district, an underground station (and indeed a park) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Boyne Terrace Mews is a mews in Notting Hill, London W11.
The entrance to the mews is in Lansdowne Road
and it is a cul-de-sac. It was probably named after Boyne House, which stood on the site of Holland Park
tube station. The first four houses on Holland Park
Avenue to the east of Boyne House were originally called Boyne Terrace, and Boyne Terrace Mews provided accommodation for the horses and carriages belonging to these houses and those in the next terrace along. It still seems to have been used mainly for horses at the time of the 1901 census, as only three dwellings are recorded in the street (numbers 6, 7 and 14), and numbers 6 and 14 were occupied by respectively a cab proprietor and a cabman, who no doubt kept their horses in the mews. No 7 was occupied by a bootmaker.
Since then, all the stables (which were all on the south side) have been rebuilt as mews houses in a variety of styles, including some good modern ones. Number 4 has disappeared. There is only one dwelling on the north side, the only 19th century house on the mews - No. 21, next to Lansdowne House, and very much in the style of that block, presumably built at the same time. Otherwise the north side consists of garages and the backs of gardens of houses in Ladbroke Road
, and Nos. 14-20 have disappeared.
Holland Park has a reputation as an affluent and fashionable area, known for attractive large Victorian townhouses, and high-class shopping and restaurants.
The district was rural until the 19th century. Most of it was formerly the grounds of a Jacobean mansion called Holland House. In the later decades of that century the owners of the house sold off the more outlying parts of its grounds for residential development, and the district which evolved took its name from the house. It also included some small areas around the fringes which had never been part of the grounds of Holland House, notably the Phillimore Estate and the Campden Hill Square area. In the late 19th century a number of notable artists (including Frederic Leighton, P.R.A. and Val Prinsep) and art collectors lived in the area. The group were collectively known as ’The Holland Park Circle’. Holland Park was in most part very comfortably upper middle class when originally developed and in recent decades has gone further upmarket.
Of the 19th-century residential developments of the area, one of the most architecturally interesting is The Royal Crescent designed in 1839. Clearly inspired by its older namesake in Bath, it differs from the Bath crescent in that it is not a true crescent at all but two quadrant terraces each terminated by a circular bow in the Regency style which rises as a tower, a feature which would not have been found in the earlier classically inspired architecture of the 18th century which the design of the crescent seeks to emulate. The design of the Royal Crescent by the planner Robert Cantwell in two halves was dictated by the location of the newly fashionable underground sewers rather than any consideration for architectural aesthetics.
Holland Park is now one of the most expensive residential districts in London.
Holland Park station, on the Central London Railway, opened on 30 July 1900. The station building was refurbished in the 1990s.
View copyright notice